Choruses qualifying for KC

  • chickenita1
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2010
      Does anyone know when we can expect a complete listing of all the choruses (champs and wild cards) going to Kansas City? If this has already been posted here, I apologize. I'm not a daily Harmonet-er anymore so maybe I missed it. Thanks.

      Anita Norman
      Marietta GA
    • tpblead
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2010
        The list of choruses as they currently stand is complete on Harmonet Reporter, with the exception of the new Carolina champs. Carolina will not be sending a wild card, so the 10 wild cards are the same, subject to acceptance of invitations. Affiliate choruses have not been designated as yet, but you can expect that Zero8, Vocal FX and at one chorus from BABS will be invited. There could be others, like Aussies, Germans, etc.

        Tim Buell

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "chickenita1" <allegromom@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know when we can expect a complete listing of all the choruses (champs and wild cards) going to Kansas City? If this has already been posted here, I apologize. I'm not a daily Harmonet-er anymore so maybe I missed it. Thanks.
        >
        > Anita Norman
        > Marietta GA

      • BryanZ
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2010
          Here's my list:

          District Representatives:
          1. Dallas Metro, TX 94.7
          2. Toronto, ON 94.0
          3. Santa Fe Springs, CA 92.4
          4. Denver Mile High, CO 90.8
          5. Hilltop, MN 90.4
          6. Alexandria, VA 87.7
          7. Gtr. Central Ohio 85.9
          8. Elizabethtown, KY 85.2
          13. Nashville, TN 82.8
          14. Fremont, NE 82.1
          16. Salem, OR 81.3
          18. Jacksonville, FL 81.0
          19. Bloomington, IL 80.8
          24. Providence, RI 75.6
          25. Batavia, NY 75.3
          26. Mt. Pleasant, MI 75.3
          27. Research Triangle Park, NC 73.5

          Wild Cards:
          9. Bay Area, CA 84.9
          10. Hamilton Square, NJ 83.6
          11. Gtr. Phoenix, AZ 83.4
          12. Indianapolis, IN 83.3
          15. Atlanta Metro, GA 81.8
          17. Kansas City, MO (Heart of America) 81.2
          20. Bellevue, WA 80.8
          21. Metro Kansas City, MO (Central Standard) 80.2
          22. Houston, TX 80.0
          23. San Marcos, TX 79.6

          Notable Absences:
          Northwest Washington (NVP)- competed for EVG championship but not Int'l qualification (83.7)
          Greendale, WI
          Manhattan, NY
          Sarasota, FL
          Cincinnati-W. Hills, OH

          I hope the information is all right :)

          Bryan Ziegler
          Bari, Expedition- 2010 International 21st Place & CBQC 5th Place Medallist

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "chickenita1" <allegromom@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know when we can expect a complete listing of all the choruses (champs and wild cards) going to Kansas City? If this has already been posted here, I apologize. I'm not a daily Harmonet-er anymore so maybe I missed it. Thanks.
          >
          > Anita Norman
          > Marietta GA

        • x
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
            The Harmonet Report has been updated.

            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "tpblead" <tpbuell@...> wrote:

            > The list of choruses as they currently stand is complete on Harmonet Reporter, with the exception of the new Carolina champs. Carolina will not be sending a wild card, so the 10 wild cards are the same, subject to acceptance of invitations. Affiliate choruses have not been designated as yet, but you can expect that Zero8, Vocal FX and at one chorus from BABS will be invited. There could be others, like Aussies, Germans, etc.
            >
            > Tim Buell
            >
            > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "chickenita1" <allegromom@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone know when we can expect a complete listing of all the choruses (champs and wild cards) going to Kansas City? If this has already been posted here, I apologize. I'm not a daily Harmonet-er anymore so maybe I missed it. Thanks.
            > >
            > > Anita Norman
            > > Marietta GA

          • Walter D. Dods
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
              Hi Guys

              Maybe someone can explain why the amount of wildcard places has been reduced to only 10, surely this cannot be because of creating a new district?

              Walter Dods

              Lead

              Rolling Hills Chorus, Spirit of Harmony, BABS

              &

              The Chorus of the Chesapeake, BHS

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                The rules state that the number of "wildcard" places will be determined each
                year and announced by the executive director prior to the first
                international chorus prelim contest.

                Lynn Trapp
                712-540-7185
                Lead - Stay Tuned!
                Chapter President/Lead/Asst. Director - Pittsburgh Metro Chapter, Barbershop
                Harmony Society
                Steel City Harmonizers

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                  From Steve's records over on the Harmonet Reporter, it looks like there were
                  ten wild cards last year.

                  Marti Lovejoy
                  Proud Owner of SING
                  SING members have donated over $62,000 to YSF since 2002
                  Life Member, Texas, USA - 38 years so far
                  http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
                  lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net <--remove spaces from link and edress
                  What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide WHAT KIND of
                  difference you want to make - Jane Goodall

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                    Another question.....

                    How many on the invited qualify as a "small chorus"?

                    I find it curious that most districts recognize their small choruses in some way but that this doesn't apply to international. We recognize collegiate quartets, seniors quartets, and youth choruses with their own categories...why not small choruses???

                    Please refrain from providing examples of small choruses who have sung at international.....that isn't my question. I realize they compete on "equal" footing beside the 60-100 man groups and can qualify for international in this fashion. I just wonder why small choruses don't merit their own category, competition or award at the international level?

                    In Harmony

                    Matthew
                    (proud member of the 2010 small chorus EVG district champions)

                    To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com; chordbuster@...

                    > The list of choruses as they currently stand is complete on Harmonet Reporter, with the exception of the new Carolina champs. Carolina will not be sending a wild card, so the 10 wild cards are the same, subject to acceptance of invitations. Affiliate choruses have not been designated as yet, but you can expect that Zero8, Vocal FX and at one chorus from BABS will be invited. There could be others, like Aussies, Germans, etc.

                    > Tim Buell

                    > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "chickenita1" <allegromom@> wrote:

                    > > Does anyone know when we can expect a complete listing of all the choruses (champs and wild cards) going to Kansas City? If this has already been posted here, I apologize. I'm not a daily Harmonet-er anymore so maybe I missed it. Thanks.

                    > > Anita Norman

                    > > Marietta GA

                  • Bill Kruse
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                      There have only been 10 wild card choruses the last 3 years.  We had 12 wild card choruses the 3 previous years before that.  10 wild cards certainly have had nothing to do with the forming of the Carolina's District.  I would however be curious why in 2008 they did switch from 12 wild cards to 10 wild cards?  Could it be that after 10 wild cards the scores started to be below a threshold of acceptance for International competition?

                      Bill Kruse - Proud 50 Year Member S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A
                      Westchester Chordsmen / The Alliance / Freshmen Again
                      District Delegate / Youth In Harmony VP / Chapter Counselor MAD

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                        It could also be that the level of performance in international affiliates
                        has been steadily increasing, meaning that more affiliates would be invited
                        and accept as they're aiming for medals. More affiliates, less room for
                        wildcards? I'm OK with that.

                        Jamie

                        On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Bill Kruse <Grandpak35@...> wrote:

                        > There have only been 10 wild card choruses the last 3 years. We had 12
                        > wild card choruses the 3 previous years before that. 10 wild cards
                        > certainly have had nothing to do with the forming of the Carolina's
                        > District. I would however be curious why in 2008 they did switch from 12
                        > wild cards to 10 wild cards? Could it be that after 10 wild cards the
                        > scores started to be below a threshold of acceptance for International
                        > competition?
                        >
                        > Bill Kruse - Proud 50 Year Member S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A
                        > Westchester Chordsmen / The Alliance / Freshmen Again
                        > District Delegate / Youth In Harmony VP / Chapter Counselor MAD
                        >

                        > --- On Mon, 11/1/10, Walter D. Dods <walterdods@...<walterdods%40btinternet.com>>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > From: Walter D. Dods <walterdods@...<walterdods%40btinternet.com>
                        > >
                        > Subject: Re: [bbshop] Re: Choruses qualifying for KC
                        > To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com <bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>, "x" <
                        > chordbuster@... <chordbuster%40comcast.net>>
                        > Date: Monday, November 1, 2010, 1:08 PM
                        >

                        > Hi Guys
                        >
                        > Maybe someone can explain why the amount of wildcard places has been
                        > reduced to only 10, surely this cannot be because of creating a new
                        > district?
                        >
                        > Walter Dods
                        >
                        > Lead
                        >
                        > Rolling Hills Chorus, Spirit of Harmony, BABS
                        >
                        > &
                        >
                        > The Chorus of the Chesapeake, BHS
                        >
                        > --- On Mon, 1/11/10, x <chordbuster@...<chordbuster%40comcast.net>>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > From: x <chordbuster@... <chordbuster%40comcast.net>>
                        > Subject: [bbshop] Re: Choruses qualifying for KC
                        > To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com <bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Date: Monday, 1 November, 2010, 17:00
                        >

                        > The Harmonet Report has been updated.
                        >
                        > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com <bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>, "tpblead"
                        > <tpbuell@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > The list of choruses as they currently stand is complete on Harmonet
                        > Reporter, with the exception of the new Carolina champs. Carolina will not
                        > be sending a wild card, so the 10 wild cards are the same, subject to
                        > acceptance of invitations. Affiliate choruses have not been designated as
                        > yet, but you can expect that Zero8, Vocal FX and at one chorus from BABS
                        > will be invited. There could be others, like Aussies, Germans, etc.
                        >

                        > > Tim Buell
                        >

                        > > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com <bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>, "chickenita1"
                        > <allegromom@> wrote:
                        >

                        > > > Does anyone know when we can expect a complete listing of all the
                        > choruses (champs and wild cards) going to Kansas City? If this has already
                        > been posted here, I apologize. I'm not a daily Harmonet-er anymore so maybe
                        > I missed it. Thanks.
                        >

                        > > > Anita Norman
                        >
                        > > > Marietta GA

                      • tpblead
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                          I think Jamie is closest to being on the nose. My remembrance of the discussions when this change was made was that some felt that the chorus contest was getting to be too long, and was making it hard to fit other things into the schedule.

                          Tim