Carolinas District Quaret Semi-Final Results

  • robertburns61
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
      Singing in the Finals Sat. Oct.30, in order:

      MT: Grandstand
      1. Carolina Moonshine
      2. Village Green
      3. Mountain Vocal Project
      4. Tucker Street
      5. 17 Below
      6. Bar None
      7. BLacKJack
      8. One Accord
      9. Let's Sing
      10. InVoice
    • lafler.seth
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
        Didn't Let's Sing win the DIXIE District last year? I understand this is a new district, but they should not be eligible to win this contest.

        Thoughts? Is this fair to the other competitors? Did anybody not make the finals they could have because these guys competed?

        Seth

      • sagez@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 30, 2010
          Hey Seth....

          A little bit of trivia for your Saturday morning. The only BHS quartet to win two district championships to date is your 1982 champs, Classic Collection.

          In 1975, Curt Hutchison (tenor), Larry Wilson (lead), Joe Heltne (baritone), and Terry Heltne (bass) won the Central States District Quartet Championship in Wichita KS....

          ####

          In 1977, BHS decided to reorganize its Districts, and carved out the new Rocky Mountain District from chapters in Central States (CSD), Southwestern (SWD), Far Western (FWD), and Evergreen (EVG)... The new 7-state District held its first convention and competition in Colorado Springs.

          The story goes like this... shortly after the 1975 CSD Contest, three of the Classic Collection decided to move to Denver Colorado. "Papa Joe" Heltne (Terry's dad) decided to stay in Hastings Nebraska. In September, 1976, George Davidson moved in as the new baritone. When the new District was formed the (new) Classic Collection was asked if they wanted to compete.

          As the newest member, I had struggled in other quartets trying to achieve the elusive District Championship, and said "Hell Yes" I want to compete. The Classic Collection won the 1977 RMD District championship, and I proudly wear the District Championship lapel pin whenever I get a chance.

          Of course, the rest is history as the Classic Collection went on to win the GOLD medal.... 1976 - placing 35th; 1977 - 24th; 1978 - 10th; 1979 - 6th; 1980 - 5th; 1981 - 2nd;1982 - 1st.

          ####

          Maybe today there will be another historical championship in the Carolinas?

          Now, back to your eggs and bacon,

          George Davidson, baritone
          Classic Collection - 1982 BHS Champs
          H) sagez@...

          ##################
          Didn't Let's Sing win the DIXIE District last year? I understand this is a new
          district, but they should not be eligible to win this contest.

          Thoughts? Is this fair to the other competitors? Did anybody not make the finals
          they could have because these guys competed?

          Seth

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "robertburns61" <landofskymanager@...> wrote:

          > Singing in the Finals Sat. Oct.30, in order:
          >
          > MT: Grandstand
          > 1. Carolina Moonshine
          > 2. Village Green
          > 3. Mountain Vocal Project
          > 4. Tucker Street
          > 5. 17 Below
          > 6. Bar None
          > 7. BLacKJack
          > 8. One Accord
          > 9. Let's Sing
          > 10. InVoice

        • Bill Kane
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 30, 2010
            Classic Collection won the RMD Championship after it was formed. They had previously won the CSD Championship.

            Bill Kane

            To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
            From: lafler.seth@...
            Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 05:26:53 +0000
            Subject: [bbshop] Re: Carolinas District Quaret Semi-Final Results

            Didn't Let's Sing win the DIXIE District last year? I understand this is a new district, but they should not be eligible to win this contest.

            Thoughts? Is this fair to the other competitors? Did anybody not make the finals they could have because these guys competed?

            Seth

            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "robertburns61" <landofskymanager@...> wrote:

            > Singing in the Finals Sat. Oct.30, in order:
            >
            > MT: Grandstand
            > 1. Carolina Moonshine
            > 2. Village Green
            > 3. Mountain Vocal Project
            > 4. Tucker Street
            > 5. 17 Below
            > 6. Bar None
            > 7. BLacKJack
            > 8. One Accord
            > 9. Let's Sing
            > 10. InVoice

          • David Bowen
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 30, 2010
              Seth,

              Well there is a precedent that says it's fine. The Classic
              Collection were CSD quartet champions and then became RMD quartet
              champions when RMD was formed. The official contest rules just say
              that once a quartet wins a district level or higher championship it
              may not compete for that championship again, which doesn't rule out
              competing for other district championships.

              David Bowen

              On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:26 AM, lafler.seth <lafler.seth@...> wrote:
              > Didn't Let's Sing win the DIXIE District last year? I understand this is a new district, but they should not be eligible to win this contest.
              >
              > Thoughts? Is this fair to the other competitors? Did anybody not make the finals they could have because these guys competed?
              >
              > Seth
              >
              > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "robertburns61" <landofskymanager@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Singing in the Finals Sat. Oct.30, in order:
              >>
              >> MT: Grandstand
              >> 1. Carolina Moonshine
              >> 2. Village Green
              >> 3. Mountain Vocal Project
              >> 4. Tucker Street
              >> 5. 17 Below
              >> 6. Bar None
              >> 7. BLacKJack
              >> 8. One Accord
              >> 9. Let's Sing
              >> 10. InVoice

            • lafler.seth
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 30, 2010
                To clear things up, in case anybody thought this was an attack on the quartet, this was not an attack on these guys. This was more of a "what the heck kind of rule is that?" post.

                So with the way the rule is stated, my quartet could move to another district and compete to become District Champs of that district even though we've already won our district? Or if the state of Texas wanted to become its own district, we could compete to win that district? I just don't know how I feel about how this rule.

                Seth

                --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, David Bowen <dmb0317@...> wrote:

                > Seth,
                >
                > Well there is a precedent that says it's fine. The Classic
                > Collection were CSD quartet champions and then became RMD quartet
                > champions when RMD was formed. The official contest rules just say
                > that once a quartet wins a district level or higher championship it
                > may not compete for that championship again, which doesn't rule out
                > competing for other district championships.
                >
                > David Bowen
                >
                > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:26 AM, lafler.seth <lafler.seth@...> wrote:
                > > Didn't Let's Sing win the DIXIE District last year? I understand this is a new district, but they should not be eligible to win this contest.
                > >
                > > Thoughts? Is this fair to the other competitors? Did anybody not make the finals they could have because these guys competed?
                > >
                > > Seth
              • tpblead
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 30, 2010
                  Yes, that is correct, but remember, at least one member of the quartet has to reside in the district to register within the district. Membership in a district chapter may also qualify.

                  I pointed this out once before, but a quartet could conceivably win the district championship in EVERY district, if, for example, simply by having one or more members move every few years into another geographic region of the country. The only limitation is that they need to specify the district they are part of before the contest cycle starts for each year, and they can't, in the meantime, win the International Gold.

                  When I pointed this out before, the response was, "Why would someone want to do that?" They may not, but there is nothing saying they can't.

                  Tim Buell

                  --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "lafler.seth" <lafler.seth@...> wrote:

                  > To clear things up, in case anybody thought this was an attack on the quartet, this was not an attack on these guys. This was more of a "what the heck kind of rule is that?" post.
                  >
                  > So with the way the rule is stated, my quartet could move to another district and compete to become District Champs of that district even though we've already won our district? Or if the state of Texas wanted to become its own district, we could compete to win that district? I just don't know how I feel about how this rule.
                  >
                  > Seth
                  >
                  > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, David Bowen <dmb0317@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Seth,
                  > >
                  > > Well there is a precedent that says it's fine. The Classic
                  > > Collection were CSD quartet champions and then became RMD quartet
                  > > champions when RMD was formed. The official contest rules just say
                  > > that once a quartet wins a district level or higher championship it
                  > > may not compete for that championship again, which doesn't rule out
                  > > competing for other district championships.
                  > >
                  > > David Bowen
                  > >
                  > > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:26 AM, lafler.seth <lafler.seth@> wrote:
                  > > > Didn't Let's Sing win the DIXIE District last year? I understand this is a new district, but they should not be eligible to win this contest.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thoughts? Is this fair to the other competitors? Did anybody not make the finals they could have because these guys competed?
                  > > >
                  > > > Seth

                • Travis Murray
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2010
                    All,

                    As a member of the quartet who finished second to Let's Sing! this
                    weekend, I feel somewhat obligated to respond to this thread.

                    The purpose of a District contest is to recognize the best quartet in
                    the district in a given year. We have instituted a "once a champion,
                    always a champion" rule, but the bottom line is that if you're the
                    best quartet in a district, you should win the award once.

                    The Carolinas District is a brand new district, and Let's Sing! is
                    CLEARLY the best quartet in the district. All four guys live in
                    central North Carolina and have been entertaining the heck out of us
                    for years. And the history books of the new district should tell the
                    truth - that in 2010 the best quartet in the Carolinas when the
                    district was founded was Let's Sing!

                    Congrats to a very deserving double champion. You did our new district
                    proud this weekend.

                    Travis Murray
                    Proud Bari of the second best quartet in the Carolinas - 17 Below
                    http://www.17-below.com

                  • wtieberg@cox.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                      Now there is a champion!
                      Good for you Travis.
                      Regards,
                      Bill Tieberg, Bari
                      SFSD&WOCo. 1975-76 FWD Champion
                      AFWDC Board Member, Marketing

                      ---- Travis Murray <travis@...> wrote:
                      > All,
                      >
                      > As a member of the quartet who finished second to Let's Sing! this
                      > weekend, I feel somewhat obligated to respond to this thread.
                      >
                      > The purpose of a District contest is to recognize the best quartet in
                      > the district in a given year. We have instituted a "once a champion,
                      > always a champion" rule, but the bottom line is that if you're the
                      > best quartet in a district, you should win the award once.
                      >
                      > The Carolinas District is a brand new district, and Let's Sing! is
                      > CLEARLY the best quartet in the district. All four guys live in
                      > central North Carolina and have been entertaining the heck out of us
                      > for years. And the history books of the new district should tell the
                      > truth - that in 2010 the best quartet in the Carolinas when the
                      > district was founded was Let's Sing!
                      >
                      > Congrats to a very deserving double champion. You did our new district
                      > proud this weekend.
                      >
                      > Travis Murray
                      > Proud Bari of the second best quartet in the Carolinas - 17 Below
                      > http://www.17-below.com
                      >

                      > On Saturday, October 30, 2010, lafler.seth <lafler.seth@...> wrote:
                      > > To clear things up, in case anybody thought this was an attack on the quartet, this was not an attack on these guys.  This was more of a "what the heck kind of rule is that?" post.
                      > >
                      > > So with the way the rule is stated, my quartet could move to another district and compete to become District Champs of that district even though we've already won our district? Or if the state of Texas wanted to become its own district, we could compete to win that district?  I just don't know how I feel about how this rule.
                      > >
                      > > Seth
                      > >
                      > > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, David Bowen <dmb0317@...> wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> Seth,
                      > >>
                      > >>    Well there is a precedent that says it's fine. The Classic
                      > >> Collection were CSD quartet champions and then became RMD quartet
                      > >> champions when RMD was formed. The official contest rules just say
                      > >> that once a quartet wins a district level or higher championship it
                      > >> may not compete for that championship again, which doesn't rule out
                      > >> competing for other district championships.
                      > >>
                      > >> David Bowen

                    • harmonetreporter
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                        Hi Gang!

                        As a member of Let's Sing!, I have followed this discussion with interest, and thank David, Travis, George, and others for helping clear up any confusion and questions. As has already been pointed out, the quartet won the Dixie championship in 2009, just before the district split up to form the new Carolinas District, comprised of chapters in North and South Carolina. All four members of Let's Sing! are North Carolina barbershoppers, and since the Carolinas District championship is a different award from Dixie's, the quartet was just as eligible for this award as any other Carolinas District quartet. The standard "win once" rule didn't apply in this case. And of course, we have Classic Collection's experience that set the precedent. We had, in fact, considered singing "Oh You Beautiful Doll" in contest as a tip of the hat to Classic Collection's legacy, but ended up going with another song we could actually perform! :)

                        We feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to "straddle the fence" so to speak, between the Dixie and Carolinas Districts, and remain enormously proud to have been part of Dixie as well as have a chance to help lead the way into the future with the new Carolinas District experience.

                        As has also been mentioned already, the current rules really do allow a quartet to establish membership in one District over another (at least one member of the quartet must be a paid up member in the District and a chapter in that District), and declare themselves as representing that District in competition during the next year. So a Carolinas District quartet could, for example, have one member join the Roanoke, Virginia chapter (just over the NC border) and declare the quartet as a MAD quartet for the year, and compete in MAD's contests. It seems like a silly thing to do, but there's nothing in the rules that prevents it. So who knows? Maybe some quartet will try it for the heck of it.

                        There are similar perceived "loopholes" in the contest rules that allow for some odd possibilities. For example...suppose you were at a chorus contest, and the curtain opened to a 50-man chorus from Greensboro, NC. They sing two songs, the curtain closes, and the next chorus is introduced, from Winston-Salem, NC. The curtain opens to reveal the SAME group of men, who sing two more songs (or even the same songs again!)...is that legal? YES, if all the members were dual members of both chapters. The rules do allow for such a thing. Is that "right" and within the spirit of competition? Maybe, maybe not. But if the rules don't prohibit it, it's possible that someone will attempt it just for the novelty of it.

                        Getting back to the Carolinas District convention and contests, we had a fabulous time in Myrtle Beach, and our first convention was an attendance blowout, with nearly 900 barbershoppers and their family members coming to enjoy the festivities...that was nearly double our most optimistic predictions! Why was it so successful, in addition to the excitement of hosting our first ever convention? We had a great "destination" city in Myrtle Beach with lots to do and great weather, we had terrific discounts on off-season hotel rates, making it very affordable for more people to come, most everyone had less driving to get there (except our buddies way over in Asheville who had to make the longest drive to get to the coast), etc. It was simply a win-win situation for just about everyone. The positive excitement was palpable in the air all weekend. We had several choruses compete for the first time, we've had a number of new quartets formed and participating, and all in all the percentage of attendance went from less than a third of District members to over half the District's population, a huge increase in percent attendance!We had nine chapter hospitality rooms open Saturday night, extending the fun for everyone into the wee hours. All in all, it was quite a blast.

                        We have lots of ideas and plans floating for future conventions and District events to bring more FUN back into our hobby. Barbershop is "back in business" in the Carolinas in a big way!

                        Steve Tremper
                        Harmonet Reporter
                        Tenor, Let's Sing!
                        2010 Carolinas District Quartet Champions

                        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "lafler.seth" <lafler.seth@...> wrote:

                        > Didn't Let's Sing win the DIXIE District last year? I understand this is a new district, but they should not be eligible to win this contest.
                        >
                        > Thoughts? Is this fair to the other competitors? Did anybody not make the finals they could have because these guys competed?
                        >
                        > Seth
                        >
                        > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "robertburns61" <landofskymanager@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Singing in the Finals Sat. Oct.30, in order:
                        > >
                        > > MT: Grandstand
                        > > 1. Carolina Moonshine
                        > > 2. Village Green
                        > > 3. Mountain Vocal Project
                        > > 4. Tucker Street
                        > > 5. 17 Below
                        > > 6. Bar None
                        > > 7. BLacKJack
                        > > 8. One Accord
                        > > 9. Let's Sing
                        > > 10. InVoice

                      • tpblead
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                          Actually, Steve, your chorus "trick" has been done, sort of. In MAD a couple of years ago, the Ocean County, NJ, and Morris County, NJ chapters were attempting to pump up interest within their respective choruses and agreed that all the men would double within each other's choruses for a year. Both choruses competed at their respective Division contests and both actually qualified for District that year. Mercifully, they only competed once on the District stage, and the next year went their separate ways. Unfortunately, from the men on stage numbers from the following year, it does not seem like the experiment was particularly successful, although, I will bet that it was a lot of fun.

                          Tim Buell