Re: [bbshop] The 17th District

  • Travis Murray
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
      I can speak to this a little, I guess.

      The abbreviation for the new district is NSC. And while its formation may be news to a lot of folks, this has been in the works for several years.

      I'm sure everybody probably has a different opinion on why it happened, but the main reason was that Dixie was just too darn big. North and South Carolina are FULL of relatively unknown barbershop chapters, who were missing out on a lot of the barbershop experience because it just didn't make sense to drive 10-12 hours for a convention. We were routinely putting 30-40 quartets on stage at a convention, and sometimes as many as 20 choruses (this is all from memory - a check of the Harmonet Reporter archives might show my numbers to be off a bit).

      When you think of Dixie, you probably think of Atlanta or Nashville. But did you know that almost exactly 50% of the barbershoppers in Dixie live in the Carolinas? And perhaps more surprising, almost exactly 50% of the chapters in Dixie were in the Carolinas. But NC and SC were always under-represented at conventions, simply for geographical reasons. This became crystal clear in the Spring of 2009 when the Dixie district held its convention in Winston-Salem and all of a sudden there were nearly a dozen NC and SC chapters in attendance.

      I know other districts face the same challenges, but this is how the folks in Carolina decided to handle it.

      The Carolinas District has a thriving barbershop scene right now. We have the current Dixie District champs (Let's Sing!) as well as five other top ten Dixie quartets (17 Below, Sound Center, Bar None, Tucker Street and Mountain Vocal Project). Not to mention the current Dixie seniors champs, and I think even the novice champs.

      We are looking forward to our first convention this Fall in Myrtle Beach (yeah, that's right)!

      Travis Murray
      Bari - 17 Below
      Charter NSC Quartet

      On Aug 4, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Bob Caldwell <slickerleadq@...> wrote:

      > Can someone talk about the new 17th District for the Carolinas?
      > What's the abreviation? Can't be CAR. Got one of those.
      >
      > I had heard nothing of the new district until I heard it announced from the
      > international stage, presenting the charter.
      >
      > What is/was the reasoning? Geographic?
      > If so, I might have thought that some of the chapters in the southern fringe of
      > MAD might have liked to have joined. Did they? Were they invited?
      >
      > Tell us more.
      >
      > Harmony-us-ly, BobCaldwell @ Email . com

    • SlickerLeadQ
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2010
        Travis,
        What's that date for the fall contest?
        Does NSC have a web site yet?

        Harmony-us-ly, BobCaldwell@...

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Travis Murray <travis@...> wrote:

        > I can speak to this a little, I guess. > We are looking forward to our first convention this Fall in Myrtle Beach (yeah, that's right)!
      • Travis Murray
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2010
          The fall convention is Halloween weekend - October 29-31.

          The district has a website - www.carolinasdistrict.org - but it is very much still under construction.

          Travis Murray
          Bari - 17 Below

          On Aug 5, 2010, at 3:30 PM, "SlickerLeadQ" <BobCaldwell@...> wrote:

          > Travis,
          > What's that date for the fall contest?
          > Does NSC have a web site yet?
          >
          > Harmony-us-ly, BobCaldwell@...
          >
          > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Travis Murray <travis@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I can speak to this a little, I guess. > We are looking forward to our first convention this Fall in Myrtle Beach (yeah, that's right)!

        • David Miller
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2010
            Sounds scary! (grin)

            --
            Sent from my mobile device

            David M. Miller

            Musical Director, Mason~Dixon Chorus, BHS
            http://www.masondixonbarbershop.com