Re: [bbshop] Mitch Miller passing...

  • rweaver912@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
      What a loss! I treasure the memories of sitting with my family and watching
      his show. his love for the "old songs" has done more for barbershop
      singing than most.
      Ron W

      In a message dated 8/2/2010 9:34:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      danwolfe99@... writes:

      While not specifically barbershop, I just heard on the news that Mitch
      Miller (of Singalong With Mitch) passed away this weekend at the age of 99.

      There are a number of songs that he had us singing along with that are
      still being sung by barbershoppers today...

      Keep on singing!!

      Regards,
      Dan Wolfe
      danwolfe99 (at) yahoo.com
      Lead - Cascade Chorus, Eugene OR
      Lead - It's About Time quartet

    • ThomasE
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
        Mitch Miller was inducted as an Honorary Barbershopper at our 1985 convention. He complimented us on keeping great harmony ringing "when the rest of the musical world was getting off on three chords..." - and left 10000 barbershoppers chuckling in agreement.

        Of course, he also lent his showmanship as host of the PBS specials "Keep America Singing" (1994) and "Voices In Harmony" (1996) featuring mens' and womens' champion quartets and choruses. Some clips from these shows can still be seen on YouTube.

        Tom in Cincy