Don't miss this!

  • Lynn Hauldren
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2010
      As you may know, every year the AIC has a big bash. All those heavy medal types get together and spend the weekend woodshedding, shmoozing, lifting a few and generally having a major blast. And that�s nice. For them.

      But what about all the rest of us excellent, accomplished, talented, charming, good-looking young singers who haven�t won any gold (at least not yet) - guys who love to woodshed with other guys who love to woodshed - but got no place to do it? What are we, chopped liver?

      Well, as Leonard Bernstein would have put it: There�s a Place for Us.

      We�re talking about the BQPA/Pioneers, which has it�s annual Midwest meeting the weekend after Labor Day, Sep 9-12 in the Chicago area.

      This is what�s getting to be known as the Stand Up and Sing convention (as compared to all those Sit Down and Listen conventions you�ve been to) because, basically, stand up and sing is about all we do. Exactly what O.C. had in mind when he thought up this wonderful hobby.

      The standing up and singing begins Thursday and goes right through the weekend till early Sunday morning. Well, actually we do sit down for a couple hours on Friday night for a hilarious pick-up contest. And on Saturday night for a good show.

      Oh, and if you like to smack a golf ball around (and bend a chord or two on each tee), we do it on both Friday and Saturday mornings at nearby Fox Run Golf Links. Contact Dave Brady (847/259-3338, evansdad00@...) before Aug 28 and reserve your tee time.

      It all happens at Ramada Inn, 1600 Oakton at Busse, Elk Grove Village, a northwest suburb of Chicago. Call the hotel direct at 847-981-0010 for the special $59 rate (you read it right � $59 including continental breakfast). Be sure to mention that you�re with the barbershoppers.

      Hey, and there�s free parking, free airport shuttle and no registration fee.

      What a deal, MacNeil!

      And say, if you happen to be a good quartet and you�d like to sing on our Saturday night show, call Gerry Carroll at 847/675-4694.

      - Lynn Hauldren, Elderbari

    • ckadeeg
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2010
        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn Hauldren" <elhaul@...> wrote:

        > As you may know, every year the AIC has a big bash. All those heavy medal types get together and spend the weekend woodshedding, shmoozing, lifting a few and generally having a major blast. And that's nice. For them.

        Cool! Why have my AIC brethren been holding out on this info from me? I shower weekly and everything, but have never been invited to this AIC weekend bash... (sniffle). =)

        I look forward to being able to get to the Arizona BQPA event someday as I've heard they are lots of fun, but just for the record, there is no AIC weekend event.

        Alan
        gotchabari@...