Hacker warning

  • VarsityVocalsHQ@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2001
      Folks

      As I write this, McAfee is running a scan after I visited the Stanford
      Talisman website an McAfee said I'd just been tagged with the Box Poison
      Worm.

      This is the third time in as many months I've been infected with something
      visiting an a cappella site; in all cases, the content is replaced with a
      simple black background and red text saying saying "<expletive><country>"
      (first two were "the U.S. government," although ironically the first site
      was a Canadian barbershop chorus; this last one said China). McAfee starts
      foaming at the mouth too fast for me to note much else than that.

      I don't know if there's a hacker with a problem with a cappella, but three
      in three months is a fairly large coincidence in one community.

      Please, check your sites periodically, use hard-to-hack passwords, talk to
      your sysadmin about security, etc. I'm careful so I have McAfee running in
      the background, but not all your visitors will be!

      (And yes, I do notify the owners of the sites when this happens... )

      'ka

      Jessika Diamond
      CASA/ICCA/etc.