Re: The Six Degrees of Opie

  • Kevin Keller
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
      If you want to play the game, you can check out all of the guys who Opie has sung with (no one sings with him, btw) on our website at

      www.harmonize.ws/cheers

      Look under Opie's bio. You'll quickly find the links you need (and discover that everybody can find their six degrees pretty easily - between Opie and Kentish, who haven't they sung with?). Anyway, it's a fun website - Diane Garcia has done a great job with it! Thanks Diane!!!!!

      Kevin Keller
      Bari, Cheers!

    • goldmedl@theramp.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2001
        Ann Alexander offers the following:
        >On behalf of my husband:
        >
        >Tom Kentish sang with Opie in Sharper Image
        >George Harper sang with Tom Kentish in Backstage Pass

        OK, so with that in mind.....

        (Here comes the first of the FWD Dist. connections....)

        Jay Giallombardo sang with George Harper in Chicago Knights
        John Miller sang with Jay Giallombardo in Grandma's Boys
        and people like Bobby Gray and Dan Jordan (who have sung with just about
        everybody in FWD - wink, wink) sang with John Miller in New Tradition (the
        quartet)

        This is just WAY too much fun.
        (By the way, I AM related to Kevin Bacon (same game):
        Me to my sister, my sister to Moira Harris (they have been friends since
        diaper age), who is married to Gary Sinese, who was in "Apollo 13" with
        Kevin Bacon. And since many of you know me, you're all "related" to Kevin
        Bacon, too! (grin)

        On an e-mail roll now (hopefully catching up now that the kids are in
        school!),

        Helen Giallombardo
        goldmedl@...
      • bradnann@iquest.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
          On behalf of my husband:

          Tom Kentish sang with Opie in Sharper Image
          George Harper sang with Tom Kentish in Backstage Pass
          Howard Foster sang with George Harper in Lockerbie Squires
          Brad McAlexander sings with Howard Foster in Breakthrough

          Now as for me, I rode in the elevator with Opie at the Buckeye
          Invitational last month, and couldn't resist whispering to my
          husband, "Look, honey, there's that guy that looks just like Drew
          Kirkman!"

          Don't we have fun?

          Ann McAlexander
          Capital City Chorus, Region 4, SAI
          Associate Member, Area 4, HI
          SPEBSQSA Wife
        • Joel Lancaster
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
            Wow.

            Thanks for the emails from all over the place. Most folks so far are
            only four or five degrees away. Having sung with so many people in
            quartets is generally looked at with a certain "why can't he ever stay
            in a quartet for any amount of time" tone. But I feel fortunate to
            have been associated with so many great folks.

            I just got home from a nice vacation and this was a nice "welcome
            home". Email from people I have never met. This hobby is way too
            cool.

            Now lets hear from some Far Westerners! I sang with Jim Galasso (bari
            Musician's Choice - FWD champs) in a quartet called Flatlanders. And
            I sang with Jerry Lovell and James Hawkins (Countdown) in a quartet
            called Back Home Again. Thats gotta open it up a little.

            Opie
          • Steve Nester
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
              For those of you in the NED feeling left out, I am six degrees from
              Opie by the following path, thus many of you are as well.

              I sang with Brett Penkul (By Storm)
              who sings with Al St. Louis (Club NED)
              who sang with George Feinberg (Easy Reach)
              who sang with Win Latham (Easy Reach)
              who sang with Kevin Keller (Nightbeat)
              who sings with Opie (Cheers!)

              Al DID sing with Easy Reach for awhile, right?

              Steve Nester
              Sounds of Concord, Concord, MA
              nester@...
            • Diane M. Garcia
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
                Ok Opie,
                I once sang a tag w/ Ray Palmateer
                who sang w/ Tom Kentish in Strike Up The Band
                who sang w/ Opie in Sharper Image

                or I can just say...I do the Cheers! website =)

                -Diane

                Diane M. Garcia - Barbershop Groupie
                Webmaster, Cheers!
                http://www.harmonize.ws/cheers
                Webmaster, By Popular Demand
                http://www.harmonize.ws/bpd
                Webmaster, Ultimate in Barbershop Links
                http://www.harmonize.ws/links
                Webmaster, Brooks Brothers
                http://www.harmonize.ws/brooksbrothers
                Webmaster, The Sundowners
                http://www.harmonize.ws/sundowners
                Webmaster, Central Connexion
                http://www.harmonize.ws/cencon
              • Bill Byrd
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2001
                  This is actually Lindsay.

                  Let me see.....there are several ways I can go about this, mpst of them
                  requiring the mention of Tom Kentish.

                  Scenario 1
                  I have sung many tags with Tom Kentish who sang with Opie in Sharper Image

                  Scenario 2
                  I sing in a quartet with Morgan Lacroix
                  Morgan LaCroix stayed up all night singing tags with the guys from Sharper
                  Image (Including Opie I believe) at Harmony Pilgrimage a couple of years ago

                  Scenario 3
                  I sang in a quartet high school aged mixed quartet called The Mixed Nuts
                  We did a show in Plattsburgh, NY about 5 or 6 years ago with By Design, One
                  of Scott McCarthy's former quartets, where we sang together on the afterglow
                  (Actually we sang with the other 3 in his quartet and Scott let me sing lead
                  by myself while he stood beside me with a beer in one hand and a cocktail
                  weenie in the other)
                  Scott sang with Opie in Sharper Image

                  Funny how I am connected to Opie in very few degrees, but have never had the
                  pleasure of being officially introduced to him....(One of these days
                  Opie!!!!)

                  That is all for now! Hope all is well out there in Harmonet-land!

                  In Harmony,

                  Lindsay

                  Lindsay Chartier
                  Bass- After Hours, 2000 Harmony Queens
                  www.geocities.com/afterhoursquartet
                  Bass- Blue Champagne, 1998 Harmony Queens
                  Associate Member, Harmony, Inc.
                  Bass- Virginia Coast Chorus (SAI)
                  Lead- The Mixed Nuts (1994-1999)
                  musiklover@...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2001
                    Ok....here goes,

                    Joel sang with James Hawkins in "Back Home Again"

                    James Hawkins sang with the City Lights Chorus in Detroit, where I
                    was the director.

                    Wow....that's only a couple of degrees...cool!

                    Michael Slamka
                    Power Play

                    --- In bbshop@y..., "Joel Lancaster" <opie4444@y...> wrote:
                    > Wow.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the emails from all over the place. Most folks so far
                    are
                    > only four or five degrees away. Having sung with so many people in
                    > quartets is generally looked at with a certain "why can't he ever
                    stay
                    > in a quartet for any amount of time" tone. But I feel fortunate to
                    > have been associated with so many great folks.
                    >
                    > I just got home from a nice vacation and this was a nice "welcome
                    > home". Email from people I have never met. This hobby is way too
                    > cool.
                    >
                    > Now lets hear from some Far Westerners! I sang with Jim Galasso
                    (bari
                    > Musician's Choice - FWD champs) in a quartet called Flatlanders.
                    And
                    > I sang with Jerry Lovell and James Hawkins (Countdown) in a quartet
                    > called Back Home Again. Thats gotta open it up a little.
                    >
                    > Opie
                  • EK
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2001
                      Ok...let's see which path to take?

                      Eric King, tenor of Riptide...
                      Riptide's baritone (Richard Lewellen) lived in Chicago...
                      while in Chicago he sang with Opie...
                      (nope, too easy)

                      EK with Riptide...
                      Riptide did Terre Haute show last year...
                      at the afterglow, I lost a tenor singing contest between me, Drew
                      Kirkman and Opie.
                      (nope, too embarrassing.)

                      EK was the DVP of Music and Performance for Dixie...
                      Drayton Justus took my place as DVP...
                      Drayton Justus is a member of the AIC and sings lead...
                      Chuck Sisson is a member of the AIC and sings lead...
                      Chuck Sisson has sung with Opie.
                      (that's the ticket)

                      Starting the Opie fan club,
                      EK
                    • kkbari@worldnet.att.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2001
                        Actually, Eric, on your last one,

                        Opie is tied to Drayton Justus quartetting through Doug Brooks

                        Drayton sang with Doug Brooks in Four Star Revue
                        Doug sang with Opie in Four From Home

                        But, I think the game is singing in actual quartets, and not other
                        associations. You had it nailed with Richard. Very easy to play
                        this game.

                        Kevin

                        --- In bbshop@y..., "EK" <ericandcheriking@a...> wrote:
                        > Ok...let's see which path to take?
                        >
                        > Eric King, tenor of Riptide...
                        > Riptide's baritone (Richard Lewellen) lived in Chicago...
                        > while in Chicago he sang with Opie...
                        > (nope, too easy)
                        >
                        > EK with Riptide...
                        > Riptide did Terre Haute show last year...
                        > at the afterglow, I lost a tenor singing contest between me, Drew
                        > Kirkman and Opie.
                        > (nope, too embarrassing.)
                        >
                        > EK was the DVP of Music and Performance for Dixie...
                        > Drayton Justus took my place as DVP...
                        > Drayton Justus is a member of the AIC and sings lead...
                        > Chuck Sisson is a member of the AIC and sings lead...
                        > Chuck Sisson has sung with Opie.
                        > (that's the ticket)
                        >
                        > Starting the Opie fan club,
                        > EK
                      • Beatnik Mike (Jose Caniousi)
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 6, 2001
                          Sang tags with Kevin, man.
                          Sang tags with Opie, man.
                          Was awake and sober enough to remember it, man.
                          Cool, man. Real cool.

                          (OK, it's not a haiku, man. I'm like
                          expanding into experimental free verse
                          non-rhyming questionable redundancy, man.)

                          Like, Cheers, man!!

                          Peace & Harmony,

                          Beatnik Mike