What+is+the+song?

  • John Witmer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
      Joe Liles came up with the words,
      "Is It True What They Say About Dixie",

      These are certainly the words of the song that continues,
      "where the sun always shines all the while.
      "where big magnolia blossoms hang from every tree..."

      However, I can't find a song in the BHS list by that name.
      Does this song have a different title? And who was the composer?

      The Harmonet can certainly answer that one. No?

      This is the kind of thing that an "inactive" barbershopper worries about at
      5 in the morning. <grin>

      John Witmer
      Clemson Downs
      150 Downs Blvd, Apt E-108
      Clemson, SC

    • George
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
        John: Wasn't that composed (?) by Al Jolson? He certainly sang in it his
        performances.
        GEORGE RAU, Cherry Hill NJ.
        > These are certainly the words of the song that continues,
        > "where the sun always shines all the while.
        > "where big magnolia blossoms hang from every tree..."
        >
        > However, I can't find a song in the BHS list by that name.
        > Does this song have a different title? And who was the composer?
        >
        > The Harmonet can certainly answer that one. No?
        >
        > This is the kind of thing that an "inactive" barbershopper worries about
        > at
        > 5 in the morning. <grin>
        >

        > John Witmer
        > Clemson Downs
        > 150 Downs Blvd, Apt E-108
        > Clemson, SC

      • Marti Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
          Here are the complete lyrics of "Is It True..." as done by Phil Harris:

          People brag, people boast,
          And consistently drink a toast
          To a place that a lot of them place on top of the heap.
          Are they wrong? Are they right?
          Is there reason for their delight?
          I must live in doubt till the day that I find out.

          Is it true what they say about Dixie?
          Does that sun really shine all the time?
          Do them sweet magnolias blossom
          Round everybody's door?
          Do folks keep eatin' possom
          Till they cain't eat no more?
          Is it true what they say about the Swanee?
          Is the dream by that stream so sublime?
          Do they laugh, do they love,
          Like they say in every song?
          If they do, that's where I belong.

          (partly said, partly sung)
          Now if you like a sweet magnolia lane,
          Gals as sweet as sugar cane,
          Then hop the nearest choo choo train,
          'Cause it's all aboard for Dixie.
          If you like to hear that southern drawl,
          And gals who say "I loves ya-all,"
          Then they ain't no use for you to stall,
          You better get on down to Dixie.

          And if you like to hear them melodies
          With old Virginnia harmonies,
          And "Mammy" songs on bended knees,
          It's time you went to Dixie.
          And if you like that real hospitality,
          The B-flat blues and General Lee,
          They ain't no other place to be,
          Just fly on down to Dixie.

          Now when you're 'round that there Swanee shore,
          You just go and knock on any door
          And then ask them who won that civil war,
          'Cause they gonna' tell you down in Dixie.
          I'm gonna' pack my shoes and walkin' stick,
          My cotton shirt and my banjo pick.
          If you need me, you can reach me quick,
          I'm on my way to Dixie.

          (sung)
          'Cause it's true what they say about Dixie.
          Uh - huh that sun really shines all the time,
          And them sweet magnolias blossom
          'Round everybody's door,
          And the folks keep eatin' possom
          Till they can't eat no more.
          Uh - huh it's true what they say about old Swanee.
          Yes, a dream by that stream is so sublime.
          And they laugh, and they love
          Like they say in every song,
          Yes, it's true, and it's mine all mine!

          > These are certainly the words of the song that continues,
          > "where the sun always shines all the while.
          > "where big magnolia blossoms hang from every tree..."
          >
          > However, I can't find a song in the BHS list by that name.
          > Does this song have a different title? And who was the composer?
          >
          > The Harmonet can certainly answer that one. No?
          >
          > This is the kind of thing that an "inactive" barbershopper worries about
          > at
          > 5 in the morning. <grin>
          >

          > John Witmer
          > Clemson Downs
          > 150 Downs Blvd, Apt E-108
          > Clemson, SC

        • John Witmer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
            "Is it true what they say about Dixie?"

            I thank everyone who replied and apologize to Joe Liles for not accepting his answer on the spot. Joe did reply very early in the day. (My post was at 5:50am ETD!)

            The proof was in the performance by Al Jolson.
            It just goes to show you that you really can't rely on your memory. I must have remembered patches of several songs.
            "I'm frequently in error but never in doubt."

            As I look out my window in a wonderful retirement community, I see several large magnolia trees with blossoms each about 6" to 8" wide. No kidding! For a Jersey boy, this is unbelievable.

            Now, if someone cares to teach me how to find material in the BHS song list. My search technique is obviously poor as it failed to locate the song in question.
            John Witmer
            Clemson Downs
            150 Downs Blvd, Apt E-108
            Clemson, SC

          • Marti Lovejoy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
              And here's the deam Martin version (much shorter):

              http://www.mp3lyrics.org/d/dean-martin/is/

              Wouldn't let me copy and paste the lyrics.

              > These are certainly the words of the song that continues,
              > "where the sun always shines all the while.
              > "where big magnolia blossoms hang from every tree..."
              >
              > However, I can't find a song in the BHS list by that name.
              > Does this song have a different title? And who was the composer?
              >
              > The Harmonet can certainly answer that one. No?
              >
              > This is the kind of thing that an "inactive" barbershopper worries about
              > at
              > 5 in the morning. <grin>
              >

              > John Witmer
              > Clemson Downs
              > 150 Downs Blvd, Apt E-108
              > Clemson, SC

            • Marti Lovejoy
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
                It was first popularized by Al Jolson, but words and music are credited to
                Irving Calsar, Sammy Lerner and Gerald Marks.

                Sorry for the three separate messages - got a little ahead of myself!

                Marti Lovejoy
                Proud Owner of SING
                SING members have donated over $50,000 to YSF since 2002
                Life Member, Texas, USA - 38 years so far
                http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
                lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net <--remove spaces from link and edress
                What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide WHAT KIND of
                difference you want to make - Jane Goodall

              • GSBMedalMusic@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
                  Minor correction ... but an important one when listing this kind of info
                  or doing a cross-check in the research phase for Song Info details.

                  Irving Caesar was one of the co-composers on this particular song title.
                  [Special piece of trivia: Irving Caesar also co-wrote "Swanee" with
                  none other than George Gershwin.]

                  He must be Irving Berlin's long-lost songwriting cousin ;-).

                  - Helen Giallombardo
                  music research geek

                  At 01:47 PM 6/8/2010, Marti Lovejoy wrote:

                  >It was first popularized by Al Jolson, but words and music are credited to
                  >Irving Calsar, Sammy Lerner and Gerald Marks.
                  >
                  >Sorry for the three separate messages - got a little ahead of myself!
                  >
                  >Marti Lovejoy
                  >Proud Owner of SING
                  >SING members have donated over $50,000 to YSF since 2002
                  >Life Member, Texas, USA - 38 years so far
                  >http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
                  >lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net <--remove spaces from link and edress
                  >What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide WHAT KIND of
                  >difference you want to make - Jane Goodall

                • Joe Liles
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
                    "Is it True What They Say About Dixie?" is a 1936 song, words and music by
                    Irving Calsar, Sammy Lerner and Gerald Marks. The Mills Brothers sang it,
                    and so did Al Jolson and others. It was also recorded by Jimmy Dorsey and
                    his Orchestra and Ozzie Nelson and his Orchestra.

                    Joe

                  • GSBMedalMusic@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 8, 2010
                      From the IrvingCaesar.com search site hosted by the ASCAP Foundation:

                      Is It True What They Say About Dixie?
                      Composer - Gerald Marks
                      Lyricists - Irving Caesar and Sammy Lerner
                      Written - 1936

                      Really neat Irving Caesar-written song sample player!!!
                      http://www.irvingcaesar.com/mp3/index.html

                      - Helen Giallombardo
                      stickler for song writer credits ;-)