Re: [bbshop] Has anyone here used an iPad or a Kindle to view sheet music?

  • Jeffrey Reifsnyder
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2010
      I've been using an iPad for music for the last few weeks. My opinions:

      It's very nice. Music is easy to read, and you can carry hundreds (probably
      thousands if you don't mind using up the memory) of charts no trouble. I
      view all of the charts in .pdf format (and there are plenty of apps out
      there that can read .pdfs). The battery life isn't a problem, especially
      since I tend to commit the charts to memory pretty quickly and only need to
      open things up when I've forgotten a detail somewhere.

      The main downside is it's quite the cost for a digital music reader. There
      will undoubtedly be better methods in the not too distant future, perhaps
      based on Google's Android platform, that may even be cheaper. I bought the
      iPad because I was carrying a lot of my music in my car since I was liable
      to forget it, and it took up a lot of space that I wanted back. Now, as long
      as I've got the iPad with me, I've got music. I decided not to wait on a
      some of the other options I'm expecting because I'm pretty happy with my
      iPhone, and figured I'd end up using the iPad a lot. So far so good. I
      actually use it more for reading books off the iBook app more than anything
      else (they've got a ton of free books from Project Guttenburg you can
      download. It's pretty wonderful).

      It's also just about a pound too heavy to be really useful during a chorus
      rehearsal. Quartetting is fine because you can put it on a table or
      something and not worry about it. But on the stacks, I feel unsafe putting
      it down because I worry someone will step on it during choreography or even
      just moving around too much. This means I hold it through the entire
      rehearsal. Also, when you're trying to read and watch a director at the same
      time, my wrists tend to get a little jello-y. It doesn't really hurt that
      much, and as I said, if you commit the music to memory quickly and just use
      it for details, then holding at your side doesn't really hurt.

      I'm also still just getting past the phase on the stack where the other guys
      are going, "Ooo, what's that? What does it do? Can I play with it?" when
      they should be paying attention to the director... Working on that. Although
      it hasn't been as bad as I expected it to be. Apparently the old codgers
      don't much care for my fancy technology.

      Just kidding. I love you older fellas! I wouldn't have my favorite hobby if
      it weren't for you.

      All in all, I'm pretty happy with it thus far. If you've got the money to
      blow, and you don't mind keeping an eye on it during rehearsals, it's an
      excellent choice.

      Obviously I can't speak too much about the Kindle.

      Some features it'd be nice to see:

      - Maybe a barbershopper's app? A .pdf or other document reader that has a
      pitch pipe or piano associated with it maybe?
      - What would be even better would be a reader for Finale/Sibelius files
      that can possibly play back the music you're looking at.
      - The app I'm currently using isn't easy to do page turns on. Right now I
      have to swipe my finger and it just scrolls through the pages like a .pdf
      would using a mouse wheel. A .pdf reader that has a simple swipe to flip the
      page function like the iBook app would be excellent.
      - There's no particularly easy way to annotate the music... although I
      have a few apps that I want to test that with. The other issue here is that
      I'll have to find a way to get a stylus or something, because the "drawing"
      and "hand-writing" apps I've tried are rather hard to use simply because I'm
      not used to using the tip of my big ol' fingers to write and draw with. I'm
      looking for a stylus with a "pencil point" so it's more like writing on a
      piece of paper. I think I can DIY one for myself with some conductive foam,
      but I've gotta track some down first.
      - A lot of big name magazines are creating apps for the iPad. Perhaps the
      Harmonizer/Livewire can create an app? Maybe the guys at YouBarbershop?

      Hope this helps!

      --
      "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who
      could not hear the music."

      Jeffrey Reifsnyder
      Level Up and The Quorum quartets - Bass
      The Houston Tidelanders and Spring Statesmen - Bass
      e-mail: jayreif@...
      cell: (713) 890 - 2530

      On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Guru <bbs_guy2000@...> wrote:

      > So I'm contemplating a purchase, and I'm wondering if anyone here on the
      > Harmonet has used either an iPad, or a Kindle for viewing sheet music, and
      > would be willing to give me a little info?
      >
      > They both seem to have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'm hoping
      > someone here might have some real-world experience with what I'm considering
      > doing.
      >
      > If you have actually done this, and can provide me with some feedback, I'd
      > really appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sending me an email.
      >
      > Thanks:
      > Guru

    • Randy Finger
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
        So, aside from using many PDF readers, there are programs that will allow you to convert your PDFs into the iBook format for your iPad so you can actually view it using the iBooks viewer for the iPad. This way, it scrolls A LOT nicer than some of the PDF readers.

        I can't wait to get mine. But, I'm going to have to a little bit…

        Randy

        On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:07 PM, Guru wrote:

        > So I'm contemplating a purchase, and I'm wondering if anyone here on the Harmonet has used either an iPad, or a Kindle for viewing sheet music, and would be willing to give me a little info?
        >
        > They both seem to have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'm hoping someone here might have some real-world experience with what I'm considering doing.
        >
        > If you have actually done this, and can provide me with some feedback, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sending me an email.
        >
        > Thanks:
        > Guru

      • Randy Finger
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
          This might help for those of you who don't like how "PDF Readers" are reading your sheet music…

          Read it in the iBooks program on your iPad…

          http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/convert_any_text_file_epub_ipad

          Randy

        • John Witmer
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
            Please address all replys to the entire group. This is a great subject for the Harmonet.
            John Witmer
            Clemson Downs
            150 Downs Blvd, Apt E-108
            Clemson, SC

          • Bill Byrd
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
              What would be really cool, is if there were an app to record, if you could
              listen to a quartet live (the quartet teaching method) and maybe later
              record yourself, and compare it to the spots on the chart on one device.
              Bill Byrd

            • Alan LeVezu
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
                comments inline

                On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:40 PM, Jeffrey Reifsnyder wrote:

                > - There's no particularly easy way to annotate the music... although I have a few apps that I want to test that with.

                try iAnnotatePDF - I use it for drawings and it's got a bunch of great methods of adding notation to the PDF.

                > The other issue here is that I'll have to find a way to get a stylus or something,

                they're available on Amazon for cheap (3 of them for $1.86) at
                http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Touch-Screen-Stylus-Silver/dp/B002BBJMO6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1275588987&sr=8-4
              • John S.R. Deacon, M.D.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
                  There is such an app. I'm using it now. Check out "StudioTrack"; you can make multi track recordings on it!

                  John Deacon

                  Sent from my iPad

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
                    You might like to try "forScore"! It turns pages with a swipe and has graphic editing capabilities as well.

                    John Deacon
                    Simcoe, Ontario

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
                      > You might also concider a using a netbook , (you can attach a DVD play via
                      > USB), they are small light and inexpensive. I installed Audacity which is a
                      > free software program to record rehearsals with. You can do multiple tracks
                      > with it too. .Then I attach a decent pair of speakers for play back at home
                      > or copy the files to my thumb drive to play back from my home PC. I use
                      > a decent single external mic so it is not stereo but play back quality is
                      > good for rehearsal critique purposes. My music is scanned in as .pdf on a
                      > simple printer / scanner / copier so they and my lesson plans are always
                      > with me.
                      >

                      > __,_._,_

                      just a different perspective

                      --
                      David M. Miller

                      Musical Director, Mason~Dixon Chorus, BHS
                      http://www.masondixonbarbershop.com

                    • themcalexanders
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
                        I've used my iPhone for reading pdf files of sheet music in a pinch during chorus rehearsal if I forget to bring the paper music with me.

                        It's tiny, but I can pinch and pull to zoom in, and it's very clear and readable.

                        Ann McAlexander
                        Capital City Chorus, SAI
                        BHS wife, mom, and Associate