RE: Barberpole Cat Program

  • Tom Campbell
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30 10:10 AM
      Puts me in mind of a story from the last days before computers, cable tv, and various and sundry handheld devices. What a barbershop family might do of an evening is to teach their kids to sing.

      Now on to polecats, when was the last time you heard "Bill Grogan's Goat?" Well this chapter member shows up one night with his kids. He (a lead) had to sing bass, of course, 9 year old son was the bari, 7 year old son was the bass, 5 year old daughter was the tenor. They nailed "Bill Grogan's Goat" with some good singing, showmanship, and some funny moves at the end. Brought the house down.

      I hope this is still going on and despite the natural tendencies of kids at times to disdain what their parents are doing, they do love to sing - and they will be a big part of the future of barbershop.

      - Tom Campbell

    • Jonathan Brune
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4 6:13 PM
        Our board has set as a goal to have everyone complete the barberpole cat program.  Should we sing/learn the songs exactly as written?  Or it is ok to play with the tempo, through in some 'standard' diddleys, and/or sing our usually unauthorized hangers?  Looking for the opinion of those more barbershoppy than I.
      • nlstarks
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4 6:32 PM
          Well, I wrote "Sweet and Lovely," and I always enjoy hearing some new twists and tags.  I'd say, go for it!  😃

          Norm Starks

          Sent from my iPad

          On Mar 4, 2015, at 8:13 PM, Jonathan Brune jonathan.brune@... [bbshop] <bbshop-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Our board has set as a goal to have everyone complete the barberpole cat program.  Should we sing/learn the songs exactly as written?  Or it is ok to play with the tempo, through in some 'standard' diddleys, and/or sing our usually unauthorized hangers?  Looking for the opinion of those more barbershoppy than I.

        • Jack W. Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4 6:38 PM
            Jon,  If memory serves me correctly, back in the 70's,
             the BPC program was initiated to .facilitate that members would learn songs that could be used  throughout the Society.
            This would accommodate, when you visited other chapters attended jamborees etc, you could sing with the members in quartets or choruses by virtue you all new these arrangement/songs , 'Sides that, they are great songs and proven arrangements.

            I suggest you learn the original arrangements, and if you wish, and participants can alter them as they want at a later date.

            An Old School Fan
            Jack Martin

            On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Jonathan Brune jonathan.brune@... [bbshop] <bbshop-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Our board has set as a goal to have everyone complete the barberpole cat program.  Should we sing/learn the songs exactly as written?  Or it is ok to play with the tempo, through in some 'standard' diddleys, and/or sing our usually unauthorized hangers?  Looking for the opinion of those more barbershoppy than I.

          • Steve Shannon
            Message 5 of 9 , Today at 6:36 AM

              Jonathon wrote: “Should we sing/learn the songs exactly as written, or…?”

                     I say “ABSOLUTELY!”  This isn’t contest, it’s discovering our history. Today’s “uber” arrangements, often leave little room for singers to feel and sing the implied harmonies of simple melodies. But, “ear singing” was the foundation of our incredible art form.  Straight or schmaltzed up with tiddlies, just do it.  You deserve huge KUDOs for getting your guys to sing the old songs!

                     Yours for an old song, Steve Shannon