Marty Mendro

  • tsnobleiv
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
      Joe Sullivan (ex Four Renegades & president, Illinois District Quartet Champs Association), received this e-mail Tuesday morning. It's self explanatory.........please send your prayers right away for one of the "Great Ones" the Society. Thanks!

      Marty was the lead in The Mid-States Four...

      Tom Noble

      Sent: 3/2/2010 1:47:56 P.M. Central Standard Time
      Subj: marty

      Hello All:
      Sorry to make this so generic, but there will be time later to answer personal inquiries. Marty has decided to call it quits. His quality of life, energy, spirits etc. have all gone considerably downhill. Congestive heart failure has caused a debilitating cough, huge swelling in his ankles and feet, his kidneys aren't working well, his poor old heart is working really hard... He hasn't taken his meds in days, hardly eats anything, and has no strength or energy. Incontinence and total dependence, I think, are indignities hard for him to face, and he doesn't want to be any more of a burden to Linda and me. He's on 24 hour oxygen and Linda and I are on 24 hour alert. At the doctor this morning he was requesting an end-of-life injection or pills. His mind is still 95% sharp, one degree of sharpness for each of his years.
      What was decided was that he would go on hospice as soon as it can be arranged. The hospice nurse(s) will administer morphine or something comparable as his discomfort increases, and that will hasten the end. We don't know when the end will be but it won't be very long from now, probably. He's a tough old coot. He's in no pain, just really depressed and tired of it all.
      That's the news from here; we'll keep you all posted. Please pass this along to anyone for whom I either don't have an email address (Ed Watson, Forry Haynes, Bob Lindley (Holly: I have sent this to Ed, Forry and Bob - I don't have Bitsy's email address) and Bitsy in particular) or have forgotten or don't know about. Dad and I went over this list.

      Wayne

      --
      Linda & Wayne Mendro
      317 Poorman Ck