RE: [bbshop] Animal Fair [words]

  • Jeremy Reynolds
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      That's exactly the way I heard it with one small exception. As I heard it,
      it went:

      Oh the monkey he got drunk

      And slid down the elephant's trunk

      Etc.

      Jeremy Reynolds

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        To whoever was planning on singing this, or is now planning on it, the mind races with ideas. I can see a lot of funny stage presentation, some costumes even. Arrangement-wise, it would have to be spiffed up a lot (it's mostly just two chords), barbershopped up a bit, and maybe some extra material added; perhaps with something between an interpolation and a medley with something like "Jungle Town". I have a nice arrangement of that which Joe Liles liked but alas I was a year too late. They had just published a medley with that song in it.

        "Animal Fair" is a good novelty song which I haven't thought about in 50 years since I sang it probably over some scout campfire. Still remember the tune though.

        Another good resource for songs is old movies. I hear so many songs that make me want to dash off and put quill to foolscap. Best example might be Roy Rogers. You never think of Western songs as barbershop but everytime Roy and his buddies sang one I'd be thinking, this is a really great song and would barbershop perfectly. Yesterday I came across "Ruggles of Red Gap" (a must see) which had a wealth of songs from the turn of the century. And who can forget W.C. Fields and his cronies trying to sing "When the moon is shining bright along the Wabash" after they'd been hitting the hard cider.