Re: [bbshop] Animal Fair [words]

  • David Bowen
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 3:06 PM
      I seem to recall a chorus that went like this:

      The animal fair, the animal fair,
      I had such fun when I was there.
      There never was a fair to compare
      With the rollicking, frolicking animal fair.

      David Bowen

      On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Casey Parker <caseypar@...> wrote:
      > 3/1/10
      > Courtesy of HARMONY ARCHIVES
      >
      > Animal Fair
      >
      > I went to the Animal Fair
      > The birds and the beasts were there
      > The big baboon by the light of the moon
      > Was combing his auburn hair
      >
      > You should have seen the monk *
      > He sat on the elephant's trunk
      > The elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
      > And that was the end of the monk
      > The monk, the monk, the monk,
      >
      > Said a flea to a fly in a flue
      > Said the flea "Oh what shall we do?"
      > Said the fly, "Let us flee!"; said the flea, "Let us fly!"
      > So they flew through a flaw in the flue
      >
      > I went to the Animal Fair
      > The birds and the beasts were there
      > The big baboon by the light of the moon
      > Was combing his auburn hair
      >
      > You should have seen the monk*
      > He sat on the elephant's trunk
      > The elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
      > And that was the end of the monk
      > The monk, the monk, the monk,
      > The monk, the monk, the monk?
      >
      > *or The Monkey he got drunk
      > Casey Parker, Harmony Archivist [from]
      > http://www.grandparentsmagazine.net/SongLyrics/Animal%20Fair.htm

    • Jeremy Reynolds
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 3:35 PM
        That's exactly the way I heard it with one small exception. As I heard it,
        it went:

        Oh the monkey he got drunk

        And slid down the elephant's trunk

        Etc.

        Jeremy Reynolds

        The elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
        And that was the end of the monk
        The monk, the monk, the monk,

        Said a flea to a fly in a flue
        Said the flea "Oh what shall we do?"
        Said the fly, "Let us flee!"; said the flea, "Let us fly!"
        So they flew through a flaw in the flue

        I went to the Animal Fair
        The birds and the beasts were there
        The big baboon by the light of the moon
        Was combing his auburn hair

        You should have seen the monk*
        He sat on the elephant's trunk
        The elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
        And that was the end of the monk
        The monk, the monk, the monk,
        The monk, the monk, the monk?

        *or The Monkey he got drunk
        Casey Parker, Harmony Archivist [from]
        http://www.grandparentsmagazine.net/SongLyrics/Animal%20Fair.htm

        07:34:00

      • Tom Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 5:32 PM
          To whoever was planning on singing this, or is now planning on it, the mind races with ideas. I can see a lot of funny stage presentation, some costumes even. Arrangement-wise, it would have to be spiffed up a lot (it's mostly just two chords), barbershopped up a bit, and maybe some extra material added; perhaps with something between an interpolation and a medley with something like "Jungle Town". I have a nice arrangement of that which Joe Liles liked but alas I was a year too late. They had just published a medley with that song in it.

          "Animal Fair" is a good novelty song which I haven't thought about in 50 years since I sang it probably over some scout campfire. Still remember the tune though.

          Another good resource for songs is old movies. I hear so many songs that make me want to dash off and put quill to foolscap. Best example might be Roy Rogers. You never think of Western songs as barbershop but everytime Roy and his buddies sang one I'd be thinking, this is a really great song and would barbershop perfectly. Yesterday I came across "Ruggles of Red Gap" (a must see) which had a wealth of songs from the turn of the century. And who can forget W.C. Fields and his cronies trying to sing "When the moon is shining bright along the Wabash" after they'd been hitting the hard cider.