RE: Saint Paricks Day 3/17

  • Tom Campbell
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2010
      There's a story I have about "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling". We did a gig for a family with Irish roots who had requested that song. We knew the chorus but didn't have an arrangement for the verse. It was suggested I just sing the verse a capella. When I did, I could see people mist up and honk into their hankies and a few even cried softly. I thought, gee, can I be that beautiful and powerful a singer to get that reaction? No. It seems like a few days before, the matriarch was on her deathbed and most of the family was gathered around. They said when she took her last breath a smile came to her face and a single tear rolled down her eye. No wonder they were so moved by this:

      There's a tear in your eye,
      and I'm wondering why,
      For it never should be there at all.
      With such power in your smile,
      sure a stone you'd beguile,
      So there's never a teardrop should fall.
      When your sweet lilting laughter's like some fairy song,
      And your eyes twinkle bright as can be,
      You should laugh all the while and all other times smile,
      And now smile a smile for me.

      The lyrics for "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" were written by two Americans, Chauncey Olcott and George Graff. The words were set to the music of Earnest Ball and was used in a production of "The Isle of Dreams". The song was published in 1912.