Youth Enrichment Program---A special and urgent call for help!

  • Montana Jack Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2010
      THIS POST IS VERY IMPORTANT---Please read and take action today!

      Yesterday, we announced the expansion of our program to include everyone, not only on the Harmonet, but members of both BHS and SAI.

      Today, we announced that expansion to include all of our Canadian brothers and sisters.

      Those communications reached a MAXIMUM of about 5500 people---about 10% of the total membership of BHS, SAI and HI combined. That leaves 90% of barbershoppers in North America who have no idea about what we are trying to accomplish.

      There was to be an announcement from the podium at the Saturday night show at the Mid Winter. However, they were running about 20 minutes late and we got the axe.

      While working on the President's Membership Task Force, it has become increasingly evident to me that the very weakest link in our society is that of communications. Lorin May is doing his best to bridge that gap. However, the Harmonizer is called a "periodical" for good reason. By the time news makes it into print, it is often next year.

      Now in the Navy, getting news around the ship was never a problem. You just told one of the mess cooks and everyone had the news as he went through the chow line at the next meal.

      Unfortunately, we all eat at different tables. We have no reliable means of getting any news out to all of our members quickly and reliably (and they call this the information age). It seems that Joe or Sally up in the third row never seems to know what is happening.

      With no other resources but ourselves---we just have to do it. And we all know that we can!

      So let's try this (if you have any other ideas please let all of us know and go for it):

      * Tell every barbershopper you know. Start in your chapter. When it is time for announcements---make one EVERY WEEK!

      * Have your bulletin editor (districts included) publish a continuing series of articles about the program and the efforts of chapter members in the local high schools---they always need material.

      * If you are an officer, at any level: chapter, district or International, tell everyone on your team and ask them to pass the word along right down to everyone in their chain of responsibility. If Joe and Sally don't get the word, somehow we failed.

      * If you think someone up the chain of responsibility does not know about our program, call them and talk to them about it. (Please don't call BHS any more. I have already touched all of those bases)(you might try SAI---or we could let Jenn handle that one too)

      * Please do all of the above again and again until you are reliably assured that you have communicated to everyone you know.

      Here are a couple of ideas for local publicity:

      * Contact your local newspaper---they love human interest stories. Take pictures of you working in the school with some kids and they will publish your story,

      * Same thing for local TV stations. Did you know that they have crews and trucks just to go around and cover stories for the evening news?

      Whenever you talk with me at a convention, I will not be asking where you are from or what part you sing. I will be asking you for the name of the school where you are helping the Music Educator. Why don't we all do the same. Let's help the kids first and then we will really have something to sing about.

      Blessings to all, thanks for your quick, gracious and reliable help,

      For Jenn and me,

      Montana Jack, keeping the faith and keeping it barbershop

    • Keith Eckhardt
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2010
        Jack, et al:

        On January 13th the Placerville California chapter visited five schools here
        in El Dorado County and demonstrated Barbershop Harmony to around 500
        students. We used two teen quartets, male and female, as our demonstration
        team. They were very well received.

        At the beginning of every month I send an electronic newsletter to everyone
        in the Far Western District (that has email). The one I sent yesterday went
        to 2,501 members. If you give me a clear and complete description of what
        you want every FWD chapter and nearly every man to hear, I will publish it
        on March 1.

        Keith Eckhardt
        FWD Webmaster

        > THIS POST IS VERY IMPORTANT---Please read and take action today!
        >
        > Yesterday, we announced the expansion of our program to include everyone,
        > not only on the Harmonet, but members of both BHS and SAI.
        >
        > Today, we announced that expansion to include all of our Canadian brothers
        > and sisters.
        >
        > Those communications reached a MAXIMUM of about 5500 people---about 10% of
        > the total membership of BHS, SAI and HI combined. That leaves 90% of
        > barbershoppers in North America who have no idea about what we are trying
        > to accomplish.

        [big snip]
      • Montana Jack Fitzpatrick
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2010
          Keith,

          Thanks for your kind offer.

          I have sent about 20 messages to the Harmonet about our project. They should all be in the archives if you want more info than what follows:

          The Youth Enrichment Program is enlisting the participation of every barbershop singer in the United States and Canada to go to their local high schools and offer classroom assistance to the Music Educator. We are asking that barbershoppers offer assistance with the needs of the teacher. If they ask about our artform, that would be wonderful. However, we are only going there as servants to help them in any way they want. This program should never, in any way, be used to recruit or to demonstrate how skilled we are. It is not about us, it is about the teacher and the kids. The classroom belongs to the teacher and they are the credentialed professionals.

          BHS has a Youth Programs Resource Manual on the society website. It can be downloaded and printed. There is a brief section in the manual (pages 11 through 16) which should be carefully read prior to embarking on the program.

          Additionally, the BHS society offers a free package of information which can be presented to the teacher to use. It has a nice, well prepared manual about barbershop singing and includes free music and a couple of demo CD's. This can be ordered on line at freemusic@... Just send an E-mail and include your Snail Mail address and the name of the school that you will be visiting and giving the package.

          Keith, hope this helps a bit. Thanks for your help in all the things you are doing. If you need any more info, drop me a line or give me a call 406-777-0759.

          Blessings,

          Jack
          Montana Jack, keeping the faith and keeping it barbershop