Learning Tracks?

  • Antony Currington
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hi all,

      I'm looking for learning tracks for 2 songs that I'm currently considering
      for my chorus

      - Mark Hale's arrangement of 'The Way You Look Tonight'

      - David Harrington's arrangement of 'I Can't Give You Anything But
      Love'

      If you have some, or know of someone that does, can you please contact me?

      Thanks,

      Antony Currington

      Musical Director

      Harbour Capital Chorus

      Absolutely Positively Barbershop!

      Wellington, New Zealand

      www.hcc.org.nz

    • Walter D. Dods
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2010
        Hi Guys N Gal

        I have thought for a while that it would be a good idea to have a central point for identifying learning tracks.

        As a resource I think the published arrangements is supberb, but I would like to see  a list of learning tracks for the unpublished arrangements. Surely a list of learning tracks could be created and producers of learning tracks can submit their details.

        Walter Dods
        Lead
        Rolling Hills Chorus, BABS
        &
        The Chorus of the Chesapeake, BHS

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2010
          Great idea, Walter!

          There is a barbershop wiki, www.barbershopwiki.com, that could possibly serve as a central location for lists like this. It would just require that the Learning Track makers cooperate by putting the lists of their tracks on here, along with fee structure info and maybe a link to where tracks could be purchased. It would need a little framework created so that lists like this are more user-friendly and structured, rather than just random lists.

          Casey Parsons created this one, but I thought there was another Wiki out there as well, organized a little differently from this one.

          Tim Buell

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Walter D. Dods" <walterdods@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys N Gal
          >
          > I have thought for a while that it would be a good idea to have a central point for identifying learning tracks.
          >
          > As a resource I think the published arrangements is supberb, but I would like to see  a list of learning tracks for the unpublished arrangements. Surely a list of learning tracks could be created and producers of learning tracks can submit their details.
          >
          > Walter Dods
          > Lead
          > Rolling Hills Chorus, BABS
          > &
          > The Chorus of the Chesapeake, BHS

        • Jim Emery
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2010
            It's certainly not a complete list, but a-cappella.com does sell a number of
            barbershop learning CD's with part predominant tracks for a variety of
            arrangements. Go to:

            http://www.a-cappella.com/category/mens-barbershop-learning-cds

            --Jim

            > Posted by: "Walter D. Dods" walterdods@...
            > <walterdods@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Learning%20Tracks%3F> walter4121
            > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/walter4121>
            > Wed Feb 3, 2010 3:49 am (PST)
            > Hi Guys N Gal
            >
            > I have thought for a while that it would be a good idea to have a central
            > point for identifying learning tracks.

          • Doug Lazar
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2010
              Here is a target for you:
              http://barbershop.org/who-is-making-learning-cds.html

              I also have my own Excel Spreadsheet of all the guys plus some that aren't
              on this list with their songs tracked. It's hard to keep it current though.

              For instance, I like Jon Nicholas arrangements but he doesn't appear to be
              on the list: http://www.nicholasarrangements.com/
              Lary Triplett is also doing tracks: http://www.larrytriplett.com/songs.htm

              Hope this helps!
              Getting the BHS site tags current might help a lot.

              Good luck!

              Bassmandoug

              On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM, tpblead <tpbuell@...> wrote:

              > Great idea, Walter!
              >
              > There is a barbershop wiki, www.barbershopwiki.com, that could possibly
              > serve as a central location for lists like this. It would just require that
              > the Learning Track makers cooperate by putting the lists of their tracks on
              > here, along with fee structure info and maybe a link to where tracks could
              > be purchased. It would need a little framework created so that lists like
              > this are more user-friendly and structured, rather than just random lists.
              >
              > Casey Parsons created this one, but I thought there was another Wiki out
              > there as well, organized a little differently from this one.
              >
              > Tim Buell
              >
              > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com <bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>, "Walter D. Dods"
              > <walterdods@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Guys N Gal
              > > �
              > > I have thought for a while that it would be a good idea to have a central
              > point for identifying learning tracks.
              > > �
              > > As a resource I think the published arrangements is supberb, but I would
              > like to see� a list of learning tracks for the unpublished arrangements.
              > Surely a list of learning tracks could be created and producers of learning
              > tracks can submit their details.
              > >
              > > Walter Dods
              > > Lead
              > > Rolling Hills Chorus, BABS
              > > &
              > > The Chorus of the Chesapeake, BHS

              Bassmandoug

            • JohnH
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2010
                Gee....I've always looked in the HarmonyMarketplace catalog. It tells you which arrangements have learning materials associated with them.

                It doesn't, obviously, include where learning materials might have been made by a third party - either through a group making their own or by paying someone else to do it. But I'm sure that if they saw another revenue source, they'd consider it. I don't know about the rest of you, but for my group,learning material availability is a major consideration in song choices. So it would help them sell their arrangements, in addition to being able to sell the learning material.

                --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Jim Emery <james.e.emery@...> wrote:

                > It's certainly not a complete list, but a-cappella.com does sell a number of
                > barbershop learning CD's with part predominant tracks for a variety of
                > arrangements. Go to:
                >
                > http://www.a-cappella.com/category/mens-barbershop-learning-cds
                >
                > --Jim
                >
                > > Posted by: "Walter D. Dods" walterdods@...
                > > <walterdods@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Learning%20Tracks%3F> walter4121
                > > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/walter4121>
                > > Wed Feb 3, 2010 3:49 am (PST)
                > > Hi Guys N Gal
                > >
                > > I have thought for a while that it would be a good idea to have a central
                > > point for identifying learning tracks.

              • Larry Triplett
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
                  Doug Lazar wrote:
                  > Here is a target for you:
                  > http://barbershop.org/who-is-making-learning-cds.html
                  > <http://barbershop.org/who-is-making-learning-cds.html>
                  >
                  > I also have my own Excel Spreadsheet of all the guys plus some that aren't
                  > on this list with their songs tracked. It's hard to keep it current
                  > though.
                  >
                  > For instance, I like Jon Nicholas arrangements but he doesn't appear to be
                  > on the list: http://www.nicholasarrangements.com/
                  > <http://www.nicholasarrangements.com/>
                  > Lary Triplett is also doing tracks:
                  > http://www.larrytriplett.com/songs.htm
                  > <http://www.larrytriplett.com/songs.htm>
                  >
                  > Hope this helps!
                  > Getting the BHS site tags current might help a lot.
                  >
                  > Good luck!
                  >
                  > Bassmandoug
                  Thanks for the plug, but I don't make tracks. That's my arrangement
                  site. It does include some full mix tracks as previews, made by guys
                  like Simon Rylander and Jordan Litz.
                  --

                  Larry Triplett
                  Durham, NC
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
                    A while ago I showcased a program I have written to use training material interactively online.
                    http://www.jazzinbrighton.com/bshop/

                    Unfortunately I was told to delete some of the songs I had available (downloaded from a site that did not point out they were under copyright). If anyone is interested in helping me obtain recordings/arrangements for this program I would be very grateful and would consider a partnership.
                    Of course I would like to make some sort of profit from this (I have already spent many hours of work on it) but not much. I envisage a website that would ask for a small subscription to gain access to this as well as many other interactive 'aids' to barbershop singing I would like to work on.

                    I believe barbershop singing needs this sort of technology to interest newcomers.

                    Although I have had a wonderful response from people that have tried the program, really very encouraging, I have encountered only hostility from organisations involved. Obviously they have a business they are keen to protect but it does feel to me (an outsider) that those bodies/organizations are possibly keeping barbershop singing from moving forward.

                    --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "JohnH" <john_hosie@...> wrote:

                    > Gee....I've always looked in the HarmonyMarketplace catalog. It tells you which arrangements have learning materials associated with them.
                    >
                    > It doesn't, obviously, include where learning materials might have been made by a third party - either through a group making their own or by paying someone else to do it. But I'm sure that if they saw another revenue source, they'd consider it. I don't know about the rest of you, but for my group,learning material availability is a major consideration in song choices. So it would help them sell their arrangements, in addition to being able to sell the learning material.
                    >
                    > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Jim Emery <james.e.emery@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It's certainly not a complete list, but a-cappella.com does sell a number of
                    > > barbershop learning CD's with part predominant tracks for a variety of
                    > > arrangements. Go to:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.a-cappella.com/category/mens-barbershop-learning-cds
                    > >
                    > > --Jim
                    > >
                    > > > Posted by: "Walter D. Dods" walterdods@
                    > > > <walterdods@?Subject=+Re%3A%20Learning%20Tracks%3F> walter4121
                    > > > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/walter4121>
                    > > > Wed Feb 3, 2010 3:49 am (PST)
                    > > > Hi Guys N Gal
                    > > >
                    > > > I have thought for a while that it would be a good idea to have a central
                    > > > point for identifying learning tracks.

                  • Maestrokun
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 23 7:07 PM
                      Having trouble learning that new chorus or quartet song? RDS Tracks.com has High Quality learning tracks, fast Turn Around, and is now offering summertime specials. Respond to this message if you are interested or you can email: Ronnie@... or by phone: 567-343-1447
                    • Stephen Rafe
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 24 6:00 AM
                        Hi Ronnie --

                        Hope you make them in this manner:

                        Track 1 -- Full mix
                        Track 2 -- Lead with other three faded
                        Track 3 -- Bass with other three faded
                        Track 4 -- Tenor with other three faded
                        Track 5 -- Bari with other three faded

                        The logic?
                        * Most members these days lack stereo systems that have balance controls: They are limited to listening to them in their vehicles (and we know that doesn't happen often enough).
                        * Most members have "boom-boxes" or other types of portable CD players. The above format would enable them to listen far more often.
                        * Such portable players can be used in sectionals to help speed up the learning curve.

                        Please send me your information.

                        Stephen
                        STEPHEN RAFE
                        President
                        Frederick, MD, Chapter
                        BHS

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 24 11:38 AM
                          It is also very helpful to have a track for each part with the subject part removed, so only the other three parts can be heard. That allows the singer to sing his part with a quartet, without leaning on the track.

                          Tim Buell

                          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Rafe" <rapport1@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Ronnie --
                          >
                          > Hope you make them in this manner:
                          >
                          > Track 1 -- Full mix
                          > Track 2 -- Lead with other three faded
                          > Track 3 -- Bass with other three faded
                          > Track 4 -- Tenor with other three faded
                          > Track 5 -- Bari with other three faded
                          >
                          > The logic?
                          > * Most members these days lack stereo systems that have balance controls: They are limited to listening to them in their vehicles (and we know that doesn't happen often enough).
                          > * Most members have "boom-boxes" or other types of portable CD players. The above format would enable them to listen far more often.
                          > * Such portable players can be used in sectionals to help speed up the learning curve.
                          >
                          > Please send me your information.
                          >
                          > Stephen
                          > STEPHEN RAFE
                          > President
                          > Frederick, MD, Chapter
                          > BHS

                        • jonboy___
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 25 10:38 AM
                            I don't know of any car built since, say around 1980, that doesn't have balance controls. They might not be as easy to find or work as they used to be, but they are always still there.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 26, 2011