Youth Enrichment Program---Pt. 4 1/2.6---Major announcement #1

  • Montana Jack Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
      While attending the Mid Winter convention in Tampa, I had the opportunity to speak with many folks about the Harmonet Youth Enrichment Program. Everyone was interested, excited and wanted to do anything they could do to help our program become a success.

      Because, if we are successful in this, we are making a major stride in ensuring not only the survival of our society, but a society that is thriving for years and years to come.

      After the Dixieland band finished their set on Thursday night, I sought out the newest addition to the group---a wonderful banjo player who sings in the old cabaret style with power and style. She has all the right moves and facial expressions to make her songs exciting and commanding. I wanted to thank her for coming and adding her talent to the band (for the second time now).

      We began talking about the Youth aspects of the convention and I shared an outline of our Harmonet Youth Enrichment Program with her. She asked who was putting the program together and I told her it was just me. Without hesitation she said, "I want to be on the committee. I am a Music Educator".

      Never one to turn away from someone wanting to help, I welcomed her with gratefulness and she is now going to be the co-chair of the Youth Enrichment Program.

      We talked again the next night and agreed that our program needs to expand it's horizons. Therefore, we are, together and formally, inviting all members of both the Barbershop Harmony Society and the Sweet Adelines International to join with us in the Barbershop Harmony Youth Enrichment Program. This is an wonderful opportunity for all of us to join together for the benefit of both societies and work toward the goal of touching the lives of 100,000 young men and women in our nation's high schools. Together, let's achieve that goal, in at least 500 schools, by the end of the 2011 school year next June. Remember, this is just a program of barbershoppers working together for our common good.

      I have already contacted Doug Watson, President of the Association of International Senior Quartet Champions asking for their support. Doug has all of the information and will pass it along to our senior champions. We will be hearing back from them soon.

      As soon as she gets back from her Caribbean Cruise, there will be a note in the mailbox of Harmony, Inc. President, Jan Del Vecchio asking them to join us as well.

      We want everyone from all of our societies, our affiliates and other organizations to join us in this effort. We will be contacting them over the next week to ask for their support. If we somehow overlook you, please call us at once. I will include our contact information at the end of this post.

      Oh yes, did I forget to mention that our new Co-chairman of the Barbershop Youth Harmony Program is the Lead singer of the MOXIE LADIES---2010 International Queens of Harmony.

      Let's all welcome and say hello to Jennifer Perry-Edwards---a very special lady.

      Did I mention that, in addition to being a Champion and a Music Educator, Jenn is a Music Clinician, Conductor and Coach?

      I will be the point of contact and have all the information about resources for the guys and Jennifer is the point of contact for all of the Sweet Adelines.

      Here is how to get in touch with us:

      Montana Jack: 406-777-0759 mtjack@...

      Jennifer Perry-Edwards: 419-349-7475 jenn@...

      We will have several more major announcements over the next few days. Keep an ear out for news!

      Remember the goal: 100,000 lives touched in 500 high schools by June 2011

      Blessings to everyone of our barbershop family,

      Montana Jack, keeping the faith and keeping it barbershop

    • johnpousa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
        Dear Jack,

        Looks as though you went to Tampa as a glowing ember and returned home as a Flash-fire!

        My Barbershop plate is almost full and I think if I take on one more single project/responsibility, my head will "bust open". Probably from a cast iron frying pan catching me from my blind side.

        If you post one or two more dares like this latest one, you may be held as an accomplice in my early demise!

        (GREAT STUFF)!

        John in Augusta

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2010
          Jack,

          As you know, the Tucson Chapter has a very active Youth in Harmony Program,
          with an annual Fall Festival that attracts around 250 young men and women to
          sing barbershop for a day-long workshop. We have clinicians for the young
          men and for the young women, and quartets to demonstrate and help in the
          teaching. We have also had an in-school program for several years, but that
          has become dormant because of staffing issues with the program. We would
          like to re-energize that part of the program at some point as well.

          I am sending this to Ron Hayes as well, our Vice President for YIH, and he
          may wish to be in touch with you.

          By the way, congrats on getting Jennifer involved; she's a real go-getter!

          David

          David's Signature

          David R. Updegraff

          Editor and Publisher, "The VOICE of eXperience"

          Tucson Sunshine Chapter

          Tucson Barbershop Experience

          Barbershop Harmony Society

          davidru@...

          (520) 780-4273

        • Paul Girard
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2010
            John,
            The solution is to, as quickly as possible and as slowly as necessary,
            drop other commitments, and join the bandwagon of Youth In Harmony.
            That's what I did, and it's very rewarding. You'll find there are
            other people who can pick up the ball in your other bailiwicks.
            Paul