singing exercises

  • Lee M
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      Five years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.
      I no longer have much voice and my voice is very shaky.
      Does anyone know of any exercises which I might do to strengthen my voice I can sing once again?
      I also wonder if there are any supplements which I might take which would also help.
      I sang in a quartet for over 20 years and I really miss it!
    • rweaver912@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2010
        The muscle that helps you sing, and breathe,works with and without
        conscience thought. So this disease plays havoc with its use. First stay on any
        meds you are taking. Let your doctor know what you want to do. He might be
        able to add different meds to help with your wishes. It seems like something
        new comes along, everyday, to help. Don't give up. Try some short note
        exercises, like a tuned "Hah, hah, Haaaaaah." The consonant "H" will help with
        the shock to the diaphragm, while the vowel sound will work to strengthen
        the muscle to its fullest extent. Try other exercises like this to increase
        the "memory" pattern to the muscle. Even with this issue, "practice makes
        memory!"
        I've helped several seniors and kids with like problems. Keep a good
        mental attitude, and don't be surprised if it takes some time to see
        improvement. Find three friends to sing with, along with a few simple arrangements of
        songs with flowing melodies. The work will do you good, and you will have
        a good time to boot!
        I wish you lived close to me!
        Ron W