Synthesizer Quartet?

  • Grady Kerr
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
      Does anyone know who it was that created "The Synthesizer Quartet"? I think
      his name was Jim Crabbs and the University of Illinois / Digital Equipment
      Corp. Not sure what year (the 80s?). The only song I've heard from this
      electronic quartet is "Daisy". It was quite good. Who is this guy? Is he a
      Barbershopper and where is he now?

      Grady Kerr

      Barbershop Harmony Society Historian

      9498 East Valley Ranch Pkwy #1107

      Irving, Texas 75063

      214 57 GKERR (214-574-5377)

      <http://www.GradyWilliamKerr.com> www.GradyWilliamKerr.com

      Grady@...

      My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

      Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be

    • GSBMedalMusic@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
        My educated guess would be Jim Kraatz (sounds like Crabbs?! ;-),
        who worked in the high-powered 9mainframe?!) computer lab(s) at Univ.
        of Illinois
        for MANY a year.

        [Jim has sung baritone for many years, with the Illini Statesmen Chorus,
        and also Coles County, I believe. He's certainly "smart" enough to have
        pulled off "The Synthesizer Quartet" in those days before Melodyne?!?! :-]

        To hear guys like him talk, they already had the emoticon thingie going on
        between themselves with the PLATO system at U of I (the intranet that
        was working when I was in school there in the late 1970's/early 1980's)
        WAY before most of us had any concept of the Internet working
        on the scale it does now.

        Jim is most likely retired now but he's got a U of I contact e-mail
        e-dress listed: j-kraatz at uiuc dot edu

        - Helen Giallombardo
        U of I PLATO user alumna

        At 01:59 PM 2/1/2010, Grady Kerr wrote:

        >Does anyone know who it was that created "The Synthesizer Quartet"? I think
        >his name was Jim Crabbs and the University of Illinois / Digital Equipment
        >Corp. Not sure what year (the 80s?). The only song I've heard from this
        >electronic quartet is "Daisy". It was quite good. Who is this guy? Is he a
        >Barbershopper and where is he now?
        >
        >Grady Kerr
        >Barbershop Harmony Society Historian
        >
        >9498 East Valley Ranch Pkwy #1107
        >Irving, Texas 75063
        >214 57 GKERR (214-574-5377)
        >
        ><<http://www.GradyWilliamKerr.com>http://www.GradyWilliamKerr.com>
        >www.GradyWilliamKerr.com
        ><mailto:Grady%40GradyWilliamKerr.com>Grady@...
        >
        >My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
        >Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be

      • Marty Israel
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
          Hi Netters!

          Does nobody remember Switched On Bach?

          I wonder if this has ever been remastered? Gotta start looking. Thanks for the reminder!!!!

          Canto ergo sum

          Marty Israel

          To: grady@...; bbshop@yahoogroups.com
          From: GSBMedalMusic@...