Re: Looking for an arrangement featuring the tenor

  • willhamblet
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
      The song was arranged by Larry Wright... & his brother Greg sang the solo. Although Greg sang tenor with the 1st configuration of The Sundowners, he was singing bari in this version. He also sang the song with Chicago News.

      If memory serves (which it seldom does anymore), if you're singing the song in A minor, the highest note, for the soloist, is A above middle C. The lowest note is E below middle C. About an octave & 1/2 in range.

      Will

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Mike Myers <mhmyers@...> wrote:

      > Jack:
      >
      > That would probably be "When I Look in Your Eyes", from the musical,
      > "Dr. Doolittle". I first heard it done by the Sundowners and have it on
      > a record album, where I could probably find the arranger if interested..
      >
      > Mike Myers
      >
      > Montana Jack Fitzpatrick wrote:
      > > The Most Happy Fellows used to sing a song called (Something like) "Those eyes" featuring Bob Hodges with the melody all the way (I believe) in the tenor.
      > >
      > > Blessings,
      > >
      > > Montana Jack, keeping the faith and keeping it barbershop

    • Scott Russell
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
        I believe that this is correct, that there are more tenor solo arrangements than baritone.

        Does Dave need that explained?  :-)

        All in fun,

        Scott Russell
        Tenor - Big Apple Chorus
        Tenor - The Hepcat Social Club

        --- On Mon, 1/4/10, Dave McCaffrey <clshrmnysngr@...> wrote:

        You know...there' s a very good reason why there aren't too many tenor solo
        opportunities. Anyone need it explained? ROTFLOL!!!

        Dave McCaffrey, baritone
        ONYX Vocal Band

      • Tom Schleier
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
          I recently hear Hi Fidelity do that with Craig Ewing performing the solo. Great stuff.

          Tom Schleier
          (562) 338-8184

          ________________________________
          The Most Happy Fellows used to sing a song called (Something like) "Those eyes" featuring Bob Hodges with the melody all the way (I believe) in the tenor.

          Blessings,

          Montana Jack, keeping the faith and keeping it barbershop

        • Ross Lindgren
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
            The Gas House Gang did it on their first CD as well.  The name of the song is "When I Look In Your Eyes," and it is from the musical "Doctor Doolittle," which starred Rex Harrison on film.

            Ross Lindgren
            Tenor--Gone Fishin'
            Glacial Lakes Harmonizers
            Watertown, SD

            ____________ _________ _________ __

          • Tgbari@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 6, 2010
              Here are solos featuring at least some tenor
              melody that I have arranged:

              Art Is Calling for Me [women only]
              Beach Boys Medley
              Groovy Kind of Love
              Hawaiian Wedding Song
              It Was Almost like a Song

              Have a look at my Web site:

              www.harmonize.ws/tgentry

              Click first on Tom's Arrangements, then on Solos. The
              site has just been updated, so there are plenty of new
              songs to check out and request previews of.

              In harmony,

              Tom Gentry