Sat contest in Philly

  • Leo
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2009
      MARTY WROTE:
      I think the biggest reason to have the College Contest on Saturday is
      that then,
      those guys who are only competing can attend on the weekend only and not
      miss
      work/school/whatever.  Having it on Tuesday means they will need to
      take off
      work, making it even more expensive for the "kids" who are not BHS
      members
      planning to attend the whole convention anyway.
      LEO WRITES:Using Marty's logic, I would suggest moving the chorus
      contest back to Saturday to ensure more people come to the convention.
      There are probably more members in the Vocal Majority Chorus alone than
      there are total competing members in the College Quartet Contest. It was
      best when the Chorus contest had 16 chorus in the daytime and the Top
      Ten at night.If the contest schedule is changed for the sake of change,
      pretty soon everyone will have a problem with something. Some things are
      best left alone.
      In Harmony,Leo

    • tpblead
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2009
        Well, yeah! Then leave the schedule alone and put the College Contest back on Saturday. I don't have a particular axe to grind, as I am way, way too old for the college contest. But I think we forget that the competing in the college contest, to the best of my knowledge, does not require that the quartet members be Society members. As I understand it, it was started as a way to promote barbershop to a younger group, without forcing them to join to participate. Hence the outside sponsorship by BofA. If we want to make it just one more Society contest, then drop the outside sponsorship and fit it in the schedule whereever it will go.

        On the other hand, maybe we could sell "naming rights" to all of our contests, like the college bowl games do. Who wouldn't want to sing in the "Roto Rooter International Chorus championships"?

        Tim Buell
        Lead, Alexandria Harmonizers

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Leo" <Leo@...> wrote:

        > MARTY WROTE:
        > I think the biggest reason to have the College Contest on Saturday is
        > that then,
        > those guys who are only competing can attend on the weekend only and not
        > miss
        > work/school/whatever.  Having it on Tuesday means they will need to
        > take off
        > work, making it even more expensive for the "kids" who are not BHS
        > members
        > planning to attend the whole convention anyway.
        > LEO WRITES:Using Marty's logic, I would suggest moving the chorus
        > contest back to Saturday to ensure more people come to the convention.
        > There are probably more members in the Vocal Majority Chorus alone than
        > there are total competing members in the College Quartet Contest. It was
        > best when the Chorus contest had 16 chorus in the daytime and the Top
        > Ten at night.If the contest schedule is changed for the sake of change,
        > pretty soon everyone will have a problem with something. Some things are
        > best left alone.
        > In Harmony,Leo

      • Ev Nau
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2009
          Actually, Bank of America makes a donation to Harmony Foundation. The
          Foundation in turn supports the CBQC through the work of BHS. The "outside"
          sponsorship is really a sponsorship of Harmony Foundation who works very
          closely with BHS to ensure the funds are applied as intended. When the
          collegiate contest first began, MBNA directly sponsored the contest, but
          that direct relationship changed about five years ago.

          Naming rights to events has been discussed, and more will be coming from
          appropriate sources when the details are ready.

          Ev Nau