Re: [bbshop] Please don't move the Philly College Quartet Contest to Tuesday!

  • Martha Lovejoy
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
      I think the biggest reason to have the College Contest on Saturday is that then, those guys who are only competing can attend on the weekend only and not miss work/school/whatever.  Having it on Tuesday means they will need to take off work, making it even more expensive for the "kids" who are not BHS members planning to attend the whole convention anyway.
       Marti Lovejoy
      Proud Owner of SING and SCORES
      SING members have donated over $50,000 to YSF since 2002
      Life Member, Reg 10, TX, USA - 37 years so far
      http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
      lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net <--remove spaces from link and edress

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
        I agree... I wish they would not change the college contest!!!

        I'm not sure what's going to happen to the Lary Ajer party at this point

        Steve Morin
        eDesignerz.com<http://eDesignerz.com>
        800-374-8990

        Sent from my iPhone

        lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net<http://sbcglobal.net> <--remove spaces from link and edress

        ________________________________

        ------------------------

        <
        <http://www.barbershop.org/news-and-events/philadelphia-international-convention/schedule-of-events.html>http://www.barbershop.org/news-and-events/philadelphia-international-convention/schedule-of-events.html

[...]

      • Jamie Bedford
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
          I seem to recall the College contest being moved to Saturday morning to
          feature the youth participants a few years back, though I could be wrong
          about that. I think it helped, anyway... The youth movement is certainly on
          the rise, and I'm sure the prospect of competing and being featured at
          international helps spur that growth. It helped my quartet a few years
          back!

          It's tough to fit so much into so little time, but I agree that pushing the
          collegiate contest back to Tuesday is going to make it very difficult for
          the college guys to participate based on cost alone. Maybe that's OK if
          people don't actually want to see collegiate groups, but if they do, then
          who would actually be in the audience anyway? How many people show up to
          the convention in time for this event anyway?

          As for moving the chorus contest to Saturday (again?), I suppose that would
          help get more chorus participants and more overall attendance. It really
          depends on the goals for the convention as mandated by the society.

          Upping the minimum score for a quartet to be invited would be OK with me,
          but my quartet isn't quite in that scoring range yet ;) I agree that 50
          quartets is a bit much to do all in one day for quarterfinals, though. It's
          quite the marathon session for audience and judges alike. While any quartet
          scoring 75+ has earned my respect, there's quite a difference between the
          75's and the 85's, and I'd love to see a higher percentage of higher scores
          if I'm going to sit around for 6 or 8 hours watching the parade of quartets
          :)

          Looking forward to a great convention,

          Jamie Bedford
          Tenor, Voices in Harmony Chorus ( http://www.vihchorus.org )