Please don't move the Philly College Quartet Contest to Tuesday!

  • Michael Ho
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
      In case people missed Kyle Kitzmiller's email since it was "hidden" in
      another thread:

      ------------------------

      > Wait, when did that happen? This is really unfortunate for those of us who
      > are competing in the college contest. It forces those of us who can't afford
      > to be there the whole week to either spend more money than we have, and
      > we're ALL broke, or to miss the finals and the tag singing on Saturday, not
      > to mention that we're going to get maybe 1/3 of the attendance we usually
      > do. Did it really get moved so Sing with the Champs would be open? Please. I
      > wouldn't be surprised if it were in a ballroom again...I think we just got
      > downgraded to little kids, and no longer legitimate competitors.

      ------------------------

      According to the official Philly schedule (which is very well hidden on the
      website, btw Eddie =P), the College Quartet Contest has been moved from the
      usual 8AM Saturday morning spot to Tuesday 6PM.

      <
      http://www.barbershop.org/news-and-events/philadelphia-international-convention/schedule-of-events.html

      While we young'uns bemoan the usual early morning start time, moving it to
      Tuesday night is much, much worse. There are basically two kinds of events
      at international conventions: competitions and everything else. The former
      is mandatory and it is difficult to enjoy the latter until you've completed
      all of the former. No contest, be it the regular Quartet Quarterfinals, the
      Chorus contest, nor the College Quartet Contest, should be pushed earlier
      beyond Wednesday for all the reasons Kyle mentioned.

      All contest sessions should be clustered as tightly together as possible so
      that:
      1) No group of competitors will be forced to attend International earlier
      than usual.
      2) The amount of time that competitors need to be on vocal rest (i.e. not
      screaming tags at 2AM) can be minimized.

      I wouldn't go as far as saying that "we just got downgraded to little kids,"
      but this was definitely a poor logistics decision by the Society.**

      My ideal scenario would be for the College Quartet Competition and Quartet
      Quarterfinals to both happen on Wednesday. And according to the schedule,
      we're not too far away from achieving this! The Quartet Quarterfinals is
      from 9AM to 7PM on Wednesday while the College Quartet Competition is from
      6PM to 10PM on Tuesday. If we can shave 2 hours off of the Quarterfinals,
      we can fit both contests in one day with the Quarterfinals in the morning
      and the College Contest at night.

      This is a good solution because:
      1) There is likely some subset of College Quartet Competitors who are
      competing in the College Quartet Contest only. They can get in on Wednesday
      morning (I'd imagine that's when most people usually arrive anyway), be done
      with the contest by the end of the day, and enjoy the rest of the
      convention.

      2) Realistically speaking, for those College Quartets who are also competing
      in the Quarterfinals, it is likely that few of them will make it to the Semi
      Finals (phenoms like MIB^2 and Ringmasters excluded). These competitors
      will also be completely done by Wednesday, though they must sing twice in
      one day. While this may be a bit of a burden for these competitors, note
      that the Harmony Inc. International quartet contest has both the Semifinals
      and the Finals on the same day so it can be done!

      3) For those College Competitors who are competing in the chorus contest as
      well, they'd get done with their competitions a day earlier than normal
      (Friday instead of Saturday afternoon).

      4) Does not cause Quarterfinalists to deviate from their normal routines.

      And how can we achieve this utopian solution? Dun dun dun...through raising
      the qualifying score for the Quarterfinals. It's controversial, I know, and
      it might already be too late for the Board to change it for this year. By
      the way, I am in favor for raising the qualifying score even if it wasn't
      for the College Contest issue.

      The quality of the Society's quartets has risen (a good thing!) and we've
      seen a steady increase of competitors in the Quarterfinals. We had 50
      quartets in Anaheim. 50! That's insanity! The quarterfinals are getting
      way too long.

      If it is not possible to fit the Quarterfinals and the College Contest in
      one day...please at least return the College Contest to Saturday morning!

      -Michael Ho

    • Kyle
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
        I should make something else clear. I am not necessarily a proponent of Saturday morning, but I am more concerned with not making it on Tuesday. Any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday would be perfect, and I would also like to not have to sing at 8 am either, but it would be better than Tuesday.

        Kyle Kitzmiller

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Michael Ho <tempesttenor@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > (Friday instead of Saturday afternoon).
        >
        > 4) Does not cause Quarterfinalists to deviate from their normal routines.
        >
        > And how can we achieve this utopian solution? Dun dun dun...through raising
        > the qualifying score for the Quarterfinals. It's controversial, I know, and
        > it might already be too late for the Board to change it for this year. By
        > the way, I am in favor for raising the qualifying score even if it wasn't
        > for the College Contest issue.
        >
        > The quality of the Society's quartets has risen (a good thing!) and we've
        > seen a steady increase of competitors in the Quarterfinals. We had 50
        > quartets in Anaheim. 50! That's insanity! The quarterfinals are getting
        > way too long.
        >
        > If it is not possible to fit the Quarterfinals and the College Contest in
        > one day...please at least return the College Contest to Saturday morning!

      • Martha Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
          I think the biggest reason to have the College Contest on Saturday is that then, those guys who are only competing can attend on the weekend only and not miss work/school/whatever.  Having it on Tuesday means they will need to take off work, making it even more expensive for the "kids" who are not BHS members planning to attend the whole convention anyway.
           Marti Lovejoy
          Proud Owner of SING and SCORES
          SING members have donated over $50,000 to YSF since 2002
          Life Member, Reg 10, TX, USA - 37 years so far
          http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
          lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net <--remove spaces from link and edress

          ________________________________
> [...]

          (Friday instead of Saturday afternoon).

          4) Does not cause Quarterfinalists to deviate from their normal routines.

          And how can we achieve this utopian solution?  Dun dun dun...through raising
          the qualifying score for the Quarterfinals.  It's controversial, I know, and
          it might already be too late for the Board to change it for this year.  By
          the way, I am in favor for raising the qualifying score even if it wasn't
          for the College Contest issue.

          The quality of the Society's quartets has risen (a good thing!) and we've
          seen a steady increase of competitors in the Quarterfinals.  We had 50
          quartets in Anaheim.  50!  That's insanity!  The quarterfinals are getting
          way too long.

          If it is not possible to fit the Quarterfinals and the College Contest in
          one day...please at least return the College Contest to Saturday morning!

        • Steve Morin
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
            I agree... I wish they would not change the college contest!!!

            I'm not sure what's going to happen to the Lary Ajer party at this point

            Steve Morin
            eDesignerz.com<http://eDesignerz.com>
            800-374-8990

            Sent from my iPhone

            lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net<http://sbcglobal.net> <--remove spaces from link and edress

            ________________________________

            <http://www.barbershop.org/news-and-events/philadelphia-international-convention/schedule-of-events.html>http://www.barbershop.org/news-and-events/philadelphia-international-convention/schedule-of-events.html

[...]

          • Jamie Bedford
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
              I seem to recall the College contest being moved to Saturday morning to
              feature the youth participants a few years back, though I could be wrong
              about that. I think it helped, anyway... The youth movement is certainly on
              the rise, and I'm sure the prospect of competing and being featured at
              international helps spur that growth. It helped my quartet a few years
              back!

              It's tough to fit so much into so little time, but I agree that pushing the
              collegiate contest back to Tuesday is going to make it very difficult for
              the college guys to participate based on cost alone. Maybe that's OK if
              people don't actually want to see collegiate groups, but if they do, then
              who would actually be in the audience anyway? How many people show up to
              the convention in time for this event anyway?

              As for moving the chorus contest to Saturday (again?), I suppose that would
              help get more chorus participants and more overall attendance. It really
              depends on the goals for the convention as mandated by the society.

              Upping the minimum score for a quartet to be invited would be OK with me,
              but my quartet isn't quite in that scoring range yet ;) I agree that 50
              quartets is a bit much to do all in one day for quarterfinals, though. It's
              quite the marathon session for audience and judges alike. While any quartet
              scoring 75+ has earned my respect, there's quite a difference between the
              75's and the 85's, and I'd love to see a higher percentage of higher scores
              if I'm going to sit around for 6 or 8 hours watching the parade of quartets
              :)

              Looking forward to a great convention,

              Jamie Bedford
              Tenor, Voices in Harmony Chorus ( http://www.vihchorus.org )