Re: easy tag suggestion?

  • Orien Colmer
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
      The tag I usually teach first to people who have never sung barbershop
      is "In Dixie Land Where I Was Born". There's a great video of James
      Estes teaching it on the Societies YouTube channel:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMLZoMpPoXo

      -- Orien Colmer
      -- http://youtube.com/users/murry537

      > Posted by: "chickenita1" allegromom@...   chickenita1
      > Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:20 pm (PDT)
      >
      > The music director I work with has an interest in barbershop singing (I'm trying to recruit him for AVP!) and plans to show our church choir the Youtube video of AOH's "76 Trombones", just for a change of pace in the rehearsal. He's open to starting a barbershop men's or women's ensemble (or both). I offered to teach a tag to start them thinking along those lines - I'll teach the men's next week, then teach the ladies one the week after. They're a pretty talented bunch (we have six paid singers, too), but I want to keep it simple. Any suggestions?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Anita Norman
      > former director, Big Chicken Chorus
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
        And this week, you should teach "When I Leave the World BEHIND"!
        as heard on the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien :-)

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Orien Colmer <murry537@...> wrote:

        > The tag I usually teach first to people who have never sung barbershop
        > is "In Dixie Land Where I Was Born". There's a great video of James
        > Estes teaching it on the Societies YouTube channel:
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMLZoMpPoXo
        >
        > -- Orien Colmer
        > -- http://youtube.com/users/murry537
        >
        > > Posted by: "chickenita1" allegromom@...   chickenita1
        > > Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:20 pm (PDT)
        > >
        > > The music director I work with has an interest in barbershop singing (I'm trying to recruit him for AVP!) and plans to show our church choir the Youtube video of AOH's "76 Trombones", just for a change of pace in the rehearsal. He's open to starting a barbershop men's or women's ensemble (or both). I offered to teach a tag to start them thinking along those lines - I'll teach the men's next week, then teach the ladies one the week after. They're a pretty talented bunch (we have six paid singers, too), but I want to keep it simple. Any suggestions?
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > >
        > > Anita Norman
        > > former director, Big Chicken Chorus

      • chickenita1
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
          Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! I think if the choir takes to the tag singing at all, we'll be able to incorporate it on a more regular basis so I can use ALL the great tag suggestions you've sent! It's gonna be so much fun!

          Anita Norman