Re: NCIS (and other shows) and barbershop

  • plcmat
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 12:14 PM
      This sounds very familiar - I know Saturday's Heroes (Illinois District) sang this on a contest record.

      Steve Nester
      Sounds of Concord
      Bass, Concord eXpress

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Davis <BBSRaymond@...> wrote:

      > My wife has been watching the cable series "Rescue Me" via Netflix. Its
      > a drama about firemen. A few nights ago the fire dept had their annual
      > barbershop quartet contest. The guys come out in striped jackets in the
      > contest and lip synced "I Miss You Most Of All"...
      >
      > I remember this being a big hit with quartets and chorus's in the 70's
      > but I don't think this is "The Oriole Four" singing the tune.
      >
      > What I was most amazed at is that while the quartet was "singing", they
      > showed a bunch of scenes (of this fireman's struggle with losing his
      > wife) going on while the WHOLE SONG was sung.
      >
      > Anyways, if you want to check it out, its on YouTube and here is the link...
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vjJDw3XxA
      >
      > Raymond Davis
      > Tenor, Late Show

    • Richard Word
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 9:35 AM
        Wish I had seen this, Walter & Marjorie. Most of the publicity barbershoppers seem to get in tv shows is the kind that puts us in a bad light. The flip side of the common message that anyone can do it (not a bad message in of itself) is that yeah, drunk or sober, good singer or bad singer, anyone can do it, and with about the same unpleasant results for any unfortunate listeners!
        And it carries an unstated implication of, that being the case, any reasonably good singers would want to be singing a "better" style of music rather than "that stuff".
        It seems that, because of the popular steriotype, the only reason quartets get written into scripts at all is for comic relief. The script writers aren't interested in trying to portray us any other way and attempt to change everyone's preconceived notions. At least, not very often...
        Again, wish I had seen one of these few exceptions to the rule. It's great when that happens.
        Rick Word
        Atlanta