Re: [bbshop] NCIS and barbershop

  • Jack Klotzbach
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
      yes, I watched it and thought it was interesting how much was talked about.  Also on Monday night, episode of Family Guy used a  barbershop quartet to back up Peter and  on Two and Half Men they talked about a barbershop quartet and attempted to do some singing at the end of the show. The singing was not very good.

      Jack Klotzbach
      President / Lead, Norfolk Chapter, Commodore Chorus
      (757) 619-6671
      president@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
        My wife has been watching the cable series "Rescue Me" via Netflix. Its
        a drama about firemen. A few nights ago the fire dept had their annual
        barbershop quartet contest. The guys come out in striped jackets in the
        contest and lip synced "I Miss You Most Of All"...

        I remember this being a big hit with quartets and chorus's in the 70's
        but I don't think this is "The Oriole Four" singing the tune.

        What I was most amazed at is that while the quartet was "singing", they
        showed a bunch of scenes (of this fireman's struggle with losing his
        wife) going on while the WHOLE SONG was sung.

        Anyways, if you want to check it out, its on YouTube and here is the link...

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vjJDw3XxA

        Raymond Davis
        Tenor, Late Show
      • plcmat
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
          This sounds very familiar - I know Saturday's Heroes (Illinois District) sang this on a contest record.

          Steve Nester
          Sounds of Concord
          Bass, Concord eXpress

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Davis <BBSRaymond@...> wrote:

          > My wife has been watching the cable series "Rescue Me" via Netflix. Its
          > a drama about firemen. A few nights ago the fire dept had their annual
          > barbershop quartet contest. The guys come out in striped jackets in the
          > contest and lip synced "I Miss You Most Of All"...
          >
          > I remember this being a big hit with quartets and chorus's in the 70's
          > but I don't think this is "The Oriole Four" singing the tune.
          >
          > What I was most amazed at is that while the quartet was "singing", they
          > showed a bunch of scenes (of this fireman's struggle with losing his
          > wife) going on while the WHOLE SONG was sung.
          >
          > Anyways, if you want to check it out, its on YouTube and here is the link...
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vjJDw3XxA
          >
          > Raymond Davis
          > Tenor, Late Show

        • Richard Word
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
            Wish I had seen this, Walter & Marjorie. Most of the publicity barbershoppers seem to get in tv shows is the kind that puts us in a bad light. The flip side of the common message that anyone can do it (not a bad message in of itself) is that yeah, drunk or sober, good singer or bad singer, anyone can do it, and with about the same unpleasant results for any unfortunate listeners!
            And it carries an unstated implication of, that being the case, any reasonably good singers would want to be singing a "better" style of music rather than "that stuff".
            It seems that, because of the popular steriotype, the only reason quartets get written into scripts at all is for comic relief. The script writers aren't interested in trying to portray us any other way and attempt to change everyone's preconceived notions. At least, not very often...
            Again, wish I had seen one of these few exceptions to the rule. It's great when that happens.
            Rick Word
            Atlanta