RE: [bbshop] The Plagiarism Song - Hallelujah Bananas

  • Marty Israel
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hi Casey, et al

      OK, let's see.....

      Jan & Dean's "Sidewalk Surfin'" comes from the Beach Boys "Catch A Wave."

      George Harrison was sued by the Chiffons because "My Sweet Lord" was (unconsciously) based on "He's So Fine".

      In the Beatles "Come Together", the first line, "Here comes ol' flattop" comes from an old Chuck Berry song whose name escapes me.

      And the piece de resistance:

      Hatikvoh comes from Smetena's "The Moldau."

      Canto ergo sum

      Marty Israel

      To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
      From: caseypar@...
      Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:49:31 -0800
      Subject: [bbshop] The Plagiarism Song - Hallelujah Bananas

      4/1/09

      In happier times, The great Terry Aramian, son of Sam, taught the San Jose chapter [now VIH] a song about plagiarism ... "Hallelujah Bananas". Terry's comedic explanation of this song is a classic. The song itself plagiarizes the original "Yes, We Have No Bananas", Interested?, They are on file in H.A.

      Casey Parker, Harmony Archivist
      PS - The Irish ballad "Danny Boy" uses the melody of "Londonderry Air".

    • Doc Dockendorf
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009
        Casey,
        For the record, the song was arranged by Lloyd Steinkamp. Back in 1965, the Salt River Beachcombers, who became the Phoenicians upon the arrival of Lou Laurel, were on the way to a contest in California. In those days, you were not allowed to take any fruit into California, so were always stopped at the border, and a border guard would ask if you had any fruits or vegetables. When he got on our bus, and asked that question, the whole chorus started singing, "Yes, we have no bananas..." The guy had no sense of humor at all, and just exited the bus in a huff. "Hallelujah, Bananas" was part of the last verse of the song.

        Doc Dockendorf
        Director, High Country Chorus
        White Mountains Arizona Chapter

        ________________________________
        In happier times, The great Terry Aramian, son of Sam, taught the San Jose chapter [now VIH] a song about plagiarism ... "Hallelujah Bananas". Terry's comedic explanation of this song is a classic. The song itself plagiarizes the original "Yes, We Have No Bananas", Interested?, They are on file in H.A.

        Casey Parker, Harmony Archivist
        PS - The Irish ballad "Danny Boy" uses the melody of "Londonderry Air".

      • Casey Parker
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009
          4/3/09
          Doc Dockendorf <docsluck@...>
          Hi Doc

          Thank you for clarifying that the late great Lloyd Steinkamp arranged Hallelujah Bananas. I enjoyed the funny story about the chorus on the bus. In the good old days, part of the fun was travelling together by bus or train. BTW where in h.... is Showglow AZ? Wasn't there a Showglow chapter?
          Casey Parker, Harmony Archivist
          PS - Keep those Pine Tones singing.