NCIS and barbershop

  • Walter Latzko
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
      Hi:

      Did anyone see NCIS tonight (Tuesday)? The younger fellow in the morgue talked about barbershop quartets, that he had been in one in college (tenor) wearing the straw hats and everything. They talked about the fifth tone in barbershop singing, the harmony and the ringing chords. I couldn't believe how much time they gave in discussing the subject of barbershop quartets. I wonder if the writer of this episode is a barbershopper.

      Walter is up to 1,178 arrangements.

      Marjorie Latzko
      wlatzko@...

    • Jack Klotzbach
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 8:33 AM
        yes, I watched it and thought it was interesting how much was talked about.  Also on Monday night, episode of Family Guy used a  barbershop quartet to back up Peter and  on Two and Half Men they talked about a barbershop quartet and attempted to do some singing at the end of the show. The singing was not very good.

        Jack Klotzbach
        President / Lead, Norfolk Chapter, Commodore Chorus
        (757) 619-6671
        president@...

        Did anyone see NCIS tonight (Tuesday)? The younger fellow in the morgue talked about barbershop quartets, that he had been in one in college (tenor) wearing the straw hats and everything. They talked about the fifth tone in barbershop singing, the harmony and the ringing chords. I couldn't believe how much time they gave in discussing the subject of barbershop quartets. I wonder if the writer of this episode is a barbershopper.

        Walter is up to 1,178 arrangements.

        Marjorie Latzko

        wlatzko@hvc. rr.com

      • Jim Adams
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 8:39 AM
          Yeah. My wife called from the other room saying that I needed to post about it. Too bad they didn't also do some good harmonizing....

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 11:14 AM
            My wife has been watching the cable series "Rescue Me" via Netflix. Its
            a drama about firemen. A few nights ago the fire dept had their annual
            barbershop quartet contest. The guys come out in striped jackets in the
            contest and lip synced "I Miss You Most Of All"...

            I remember this being a big hit with quartets and chorus's in the 70's
            but I don't think this is "The Oriole Four" singing the tune.

            What I was most amazed at is that while the quartet was "singing", they
            showed a bunch of scenes (of this fireman's struggle with losing his
            wife) going on while the WHOLE SONG was sung.

            Anyways, if you want to check it out, its on YouTube and here is the link...

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vjJDw3XxA

            Raymond Davis
            Tenor, Late Show
          • plcmat
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 12:14 PM
              This sounds very familiar - I know Saturday's Heroes (Illinois District) sang this on a contest record.

              Steve Nester
              Sounds of Concord
              Bass, Concord eXpress

              --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Davis <BBSRaymond@...> wrote:

              > My wife has been watching the cable series "Rescue Me" via Netflix. Its
              > a drama about firemen. A few nights ago the fire dept had their annual
              > barbershop quartet contest. The guys come out in striped jackets in the
              > contest and lip synced "I Miss You Most Of All"...
              >
              > I remember this being a big hit with quartets and chorus's in the 70's
              > but I don't think this is "The Oriole Four" singing the tune.
              >
              > What I was most amazed at is that while the quartet was "singing", they
              > showed a bunch of scenes (of this fireman's struggle with losing his
              > wife) going on while the WHOLE SONG was sung.
              >
              > Anyways, if you want to check it out, its on YouTube and here is the link...
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vjJDw3XxA
              >
              > Raymond Davis
              > Tenor, Late Show

            • Richard Word
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2 9:35 AM
                Wish I had seen this, Walter & Marjorie. Most of the publicity barbershoppers seem to get in tv shows is the kind that puts us in a bad light. The flip side of the common message that anyone can do it (not a bad message in of itself) is that yeah, drunk or sober, good singer or bad singer, anyone can do it, and with about the same unpleasant results for any unfortunate listeners!
                And it carries an unstated implication of, that being the case, any reasonably good singers would want to be singing a "better" style of music rather than "that stuff".
                It seems that, because of the popular steriotype, the only reason quartets get written into scripts at all is for comic relief. The script writers aren't interested in trying to portray us any other way and attempt to change everyone's preconceived notions. At least, not very often...
                Again, wish I had seen one of these few exceptions to the rule. It's great when that happens.
                Rick Word
                Atlanta