Re: Plagiarizing

  • Tom Emmert
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2009
      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Steve O'Conor" <soconor@...> wrote:

      > Vern Otwell wrote:
      > "...The Supremes *borrowed* Bach's "Minuet in G" for the melody of their "Lover's Concerto." They altered some of the note values, but it's still quite recognizable as Bach's piece."
      >
      > Actually, it was The Toys whose 1965 recording made it to number 2 on the Billboard charts. The Supremes (and others) recorded it later.
      >
      > ~Steve O'Conor

      Though oft credited with the "Minuet in G", It appears that Bach himself plagiarized it from one Christian Petzold.

      And while "Minuet in G" is published in 3/4 time, "A Lover's Concerto" was morphed to 4/4, Just like so many pop singers renderings of the "Star Spangled Banner" at the ballpark.

      Tom in Cincy
    • Tom Emmert
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2009
        Well, I didn't say that quite right.

        It seems Bach didn't rip off the work, but rather someone else wrote it in Anna Magdalena's notebook; and later musicologists wrongly attributed it to Bach.

        My 'umble apologies, Johann.

        Tom

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Emmert" <fclef@...> wrote:

        > Though oft credited with the "Minuet in G", It appears that Bach himself plagiarized it from one Christian Petzold.

      • Duane Johnson
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2009
          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Emmert" <fclef@...> wrote:

          > Well, I didn't say that quite right.
          >
          > It seems Bach didn't rip off the work,...

          Yeah, he probably didn't have the right software to rip it. :-}

          Duane Johnson
        • Bob Landry
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2009
            There is a theme in Chabrier's "Espana Rhapsody" that is note for note like the verse of the song "Hot Diggity" which was made famous by Perry Como in the late 1950s.

            Bob Landry, member, SPEBSQSA,
            tagging since 1946
            The guy with the "Little Black Book" of Tags
            Bari, "Tag Team", (unregistered)
            Acadiana Chapter, Jennings, LA
            Alumnus of HC 1973-84