Here's Love & Success to You

  • Toban Dvoretzky
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
      Friends:

      I distinctly remember, as a very new Harmonetter in 1997 or 1998, when Herb
      Bayles (he of the "wind chimes" topic, PROBE, and more) announced that he
      was leaving Barbershopping and moving on in life. Although his
      announcement seemed sudden, it favorably impressed me as a courteous way of
      saying "so long."

      Since then, I have considered it rather "unfair" when people have simply
      faded away, without our knowing what happened with them and why.
      Accordingly, this message is presented as a courtesy, to let you know that
      I am allowing my Society membership to expire naturally as of today, 31
      March 2009.

      Primary among my reasons are that demands of employment since 2006
      (bimonthly deadlines, with intense work between) make my attendance at
      future Internationals and Mid-Winters uncertain at best, and not realistic
      at all. An employment-related annual convention will always overlap with
      my fall District convention's dates.

      Lengthy vacation stretches that I may cobble together will need to be
      reserved for trips to Ecuador with the new wife, whose family is there.
      Any short openings in my annual calendar must be reserved for long-weekend
      trips to Mexican border towns, in order to conduct further research for the
      tourist book that I am authoring, which is tentatively entitled "How to
      Cross the Texas/Mexico Border Without Getting Wet."

      Regarding Barbershop involvement, I have not belonged to a chapter (other
      than Frank H. Thorne) since 1999, and I have not sung in a registered
      quartet since 1997. Part of this was due to my immersion in AHSOW.
      However, in all of 2006, I had opportunities to sing (at all) on a whopping
      four occasions; in 2007, three occasions; in 2008, two occasions, and in
      2009, one -- all at conventions. My contributions there were limited to
      AHSOW, because that was the extent of my interest.

      My 10-year AHSOW presidency ended in mid-2005. I subsequently exhibited
      the exact meddling behaviors that had caused me (just a couple of years
      earlier) to DO AWAY WITH any official role for AHSOW Past Presidents. The
      other day, after returning from my final AHSOW obligation with a feeling of
      closure, I shipped a last box of AHSOW materials to the current
      administrators, with my complete blessings for the future.

      In June 2008, I donated my 29-year collection of 21 songbooks and 1,533
      individual pieces of old sheet music -- total weight, more than 200 pounds
      -- to the Old Songs Library in Nashville. It is my hope that the excellent
      Music Department staff will compile an inventory list of these songs. My
      approximately four dozen public-domain Barbershop arrangements remain
      available in the "Legal/Unpublished" files in Nashville.

      My great regret is that I will likely never see 99.44% of my very good
      Barbershop friends again. However, the "not seeing" is happening already.
      We will likely cross trails only if a Barbershop convention happens to
      occur within reasonable driving distance of my home AND if my schedule then
      permits me to attend.

      So many nights over the past 31 years, I lay awake in bed, thinking of
      quartet names and the order of the six songs that would be sung in each
      quartet's gold-medal-winning International contest. I recall waiting
      impatiently for "The Harmonizer" to arrive in the mail, and of visually
      devouring every word on every page, as a priority. I remember trying to
      picture what it would be like to attain 50 years of Society membership, and
      of achieving goals and dreams in every aspect of Barbershop involvement. I
      respect everyone who still contemplates these things, and who retains the
      level of passion that I once had.

      Although I have enjoyed and appreciated the intellectual and articulate
      contributions from numerous Harmonetters over the years, I will likely
      remain subscribed to the Harmonet, SPEBnet, AHSOWnet, and the District
      lists for only a few days longer.

      I ask these few things of everyone who continues:

      1. Whatever you do, do NOT (do NOT! do NOT!) copy this ENTIRE message in reply.

      2. Visit your convention AHSOW room every chance you get. Remember the
      value of the "home study" materials on www.ahsow.org as a resource for your
      chapter.

      3. Please work to correct a wrongful default assumption (which pervades the
      Society and limits members' growth) by remembering this: You are not
      merely "a" Bass or "a" Bari or "a" Lead or "a" Tenor -- you are a
      BARBERSHOP SINGER with an EAR.

      Finally, please accept my wish (from the title of a rare Ernest R. Ball
      up-tune, which I hope that Burt Szabo will arrange) that I chose as the
      title of this message:

      HERE'S LOVE AND SUCCESS TO YOU.

      Respectfully,
      Toban Dvoretzky -- toban.77014 [at] windstream [dot] net
    • Bob Caldwell
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
        Toban wrote:
        my wish (from the title of a rare Ernest R. Ball up-tune, which I hope that Burt Szabo will arrange) that I chose as the title of this message:  HERE'S LOVE AND SUCCESS TO YOU.

        Toban, Back at ya, pal.  It is my earnest hope that Mr Szabo will take up your challenge and arrange the song as a fitting salute to one barbershopper who has contributed so much unselfishly to the continuation of the roots of our hobby by your service to AHSOW.  As a member of AHSOW since the mid-1990s I can attest to that.  All of us that have known you will miss you.

        One request I would ask of you.  Please let us now when that convenient convention happens near you that you will attend so that we might connect and woodshed a couple.

        Harmony-us-ly, BobCaldwell@...
        571.766.2976  or  804.241.6957cell
        FRiDAYS!             O{/////]
        Steve, Bob, Steve & Ken    [|;^}0x
        Thank goodness it's barbershop!
        Alexandria Harmonizers Chorus

      • Tom Emmert
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
          Godspeed T-Bone!

          In your new endeavors, your eloquence and kindly manner will serve you well - but don't forget your friends in BBS7th land.

          Tom in Cincy

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Toban Dvoretzky <toban.77014@...> wrote:

          > Friends:
          >
          > I distinctly remember, as a very new Harmonetter in 1997 or 1998, when Herb
          > Bayles (he of the "wind chimes" topic, PROBE, and more) announced that he
          > was leaving Barbershopping and moving on in life. Although his
          > announcement seemed sudden, it favorably impressed me as a courteous way of
          > saying "so long."
          >
          > Since then, I have considered it rather "unfair" when people have simply
          > faded away, without our knowing what happened with them and why.
          > Accordingly, this message is presented as a courtesy, to let you know that
          > I am allowing my Society membership to expire naturally as of today, 31
          > March 2009.

        • Toban Dvoretzky
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
            The outpouring of wishes is overwhelming! Sincere and humble thanks. I
            intend to respond to everyone individually, and it will take time, so
            please be patient.

            In answer to two recurring questions:

            1. The song "Here's Love and Success to You" was written in 1911 (lyrics,
            Geo. Graff, Jr.; music, Ernest R. Ball). A direct link to the sheet music
            is:

            http://digital.library.ucla.edu/apam/librarian?ITEMID=WIBBBM

            Or, go to www.dogpile.com and type the song title into the search-box.

            2. Yes, donations to AHSOW can be made. In the U.S., they qualify as
            charitable contributions, which may favor your tax situation. Checks can
            be made payable to Ancient Harmonious Society of Woodshedders, Inc. (or
            simply to AHSOW) and mailed to:

            Rod Sparks, AHSOW Treasurer
            1306 Berrywood Lane
            Houston, TX 77077-2906.

            AHSOW is an educational, not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization.

          • rweaver912@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
              Toban,
              I hope you can find a new direction for your skills and efforts. There are
              many thinks out there that can use your talents. I suggest you contact your
              local high school and ask if the music teacher could use some help, a offer to
              be a substitute music teacher in your system, or volunteer as a Choral
              Clinician.
              Keep a tune in your head, and a song in your heart.
              Ron W
              **************New Low Prices on Dell Laptops – Starting at $399
              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220433304x1201394525/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubl
              eclick.net%2Fclk%3B213540718%3B35046385%3Be)

            • Marty Israel
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
                Hi Netters!

                Would someone from the North Carolina Harmony Brigade please e-mail me privately with the name of the second song you performed at the Chorus Contest of the Dixie District Prelims that took place a couple of weekends ago in Winston-Salem NC? Any other info, such as the arranger, would be appreciated, as well.

                Thank you so much!!!!

                Canto ergo sum

                Marty Israel