Surveys and Liver Pizza

  • Steve in Boise
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
      Fellers,

      Over the years I've come up with a few analogies to explain my feelings
      about Barbershop surveys. Here's one of my favorites, called the Liver
      Pizza analogy:
      Years ago, when meat was being rationed and very expensive, liver
      gained in popularity with American homemakers. Very few kids, however
      liked liver. As these kids grew up, almost no one liked it. I, however,
      love the stuff. I'll even order it in a restaurant, though it's getting
      harder to find on menus. I'm guessing that maybe one person in a
      hundred actually likes liver. One percent.
      Now, let's imagine that there's a worldwide organization of such
      weirdos: Liver Lovers of America. They get together now and then to
      swap recipes, socialize, and mostly, to enjoy their mutual love of
      liver. To those who are members, this is heaven! Outsiders don't "get
      it", but no matter. Liver isn't for everyone.
      Then, one fateful day, some number-cruncher noticed that membership was
      dwindling. The Liver Lovers of America mounted various membership
      drives, with mixed results. Finally, in near desperation, they hired a
      marketing firm to help.
      The marketing gurus did a survey, and guess what they came up with:
      very few people out there like liver these days. Duh! We could have
      told them that and saved a lot of money and time. We were kind of
      hoping they'd find a way for us to reach that "one percent" of folk who
      DO like liver. In a country of 300 million people, that still comes to
      a cool 3 million!
      The best the marketing guys were able to come up with was a scheme to
      attract more young people by plying them with liver pizza, with the
      liver cut into tiny pieces and hidden under the pepperoni. Some even
      suggested offering liver-free options for that much larger segment of
      the population that liked pizza, but not liver.
      Needless to say, we Liver Lovers were incredulous! What started as a
      quirky gourmet specialty food club had started the slide towards
      becoming a garden variety pizzeria!
      We fired the marketing geniuses, despite their chest-thumping defense
      of meatless pizza as the wave of the politically correct future. We
      went back to our dwindling club, wishing that the marketing guys had
      more appetite for liver and less for low-hanging fruit.

      At least for the moment, when you Google "liver", you still get Liver
      Lovers of America at the top of page one. Sigh.

      Steve in Boise
    • Tim Buell
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
        Actually, it was at the bottom of page 3, but I did find this:
        http://westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/liver.html

        Tim Buell
        Liver hater from way back.

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Steve in Boise <Bunkley@...> wrote:

        > At least for the moment, when you Google "liver", you still get Liver
        > Lovers of America at the top of page one. Sigh.
        >
        > Steve in Boise

      • David Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
          But if you preserve and encourage liver as the granite like substance
          your grandmother fried for 30 min., and not allow the art form of
          liver libations to develop into new tasty arrangements (breath) ,then
          the marketing guys could entice new liver lovers who never knew they
          loved liver and avoid marketing to low lying fruit.

          Hummmmbly yours
          David (also likes a good tender liver)

          --
          Sent from my mobile device
        • David Miller
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
            Of course the only way to really market is to perfect your number one
            theme song....

            "Everybody Loves a Liver".

            And take it to the streats, meat markets or where ever local liver lovers lie.

            Sorry...... Crawling back to my cave

            Dmiller

            --
            Sent from my mobile device
          • Lynn Hauldren
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
              Liver? I can take it or leave it. But my favorite song is "Liver Stay Way From My Door."

              Lynn Hauldren, Elderbari

              "Old songs are more than tunes. They are little houses in which our hearts used to live." - Ben Hecht