RE: [bbshop] Passing of Ken Witten OK4 tenor

  • Marty Israel
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi Netters!

      I never got to meet Ken Witten.

      But, he is responsible for some of the best barbershop performances I have ever seen.

      "I don't play the piccolo, I really play the trumpet, and I don't like this song."

      Sugar Blues

      Rest well, Ken.

      Marty Israel
      OK Four Fan

      To: jmassey@...: bbshop@yahoogroups.comFrom: MARQUIS652@...: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 12:37:18 -0500Subject: Re: [bbshop] Passing of Ken Witten OK4 tenor

      Jim,I'm so sorry to hear of Ken's passing. He was a wonderful singer, entertainer and person.Jay HawkinsOn Feb 2, 2009, at 11:02 AM, "Jim Massey" <jmassey@...> wrote:> It is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Ken > Witten. Last Sunday morning, he dressed for church, then laid down > on the bed and left us.>> Ken is best known for his role as the hilarious tenor of the OK4 > quartet who was very active in barbershop shows and contests. With > Ken's expertise as a showman and tenor singer, the OK4 sang all over > the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, and the South Pacific; plus they were > BHS international medalists 5 times in the 70's.>> He was one of the dearest people I've ever known. We were friends > for 45 years.>> He will be greatly missed!>> Jim Massey - Ken's lead singer>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>

    • Leo J. Larivee
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
        What I remember best about Ken is that he could spell M-O-T-H-E-R with
        his body. He even did it on the OK 4 record!

        Ken was a great showman and the OK 4 were one of those early quartets
        (late 1960s and early 1970s) that you could not wait to hear in contest.
        They were fun and they could sing.

        Barbershopping will miss him. May He Rest In Peace

        In Harmony,
        Leo Larivee
        Frank Thorne Chapter
      • rweaver912@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
          As a kid, standing backstage, at an Akron Ohio Show, there are no words that
          can say how wonderful it was to watch the OK4 in action. It's a shame this
          type of entertainment could not be shared in todays High Schools and such.
          Jim, I wish you and the other members my heartfelt sympathy. Barbershop has
          lost legend, heaver has gained another star.
          Ron W
          net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

        • jeff sykes
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
            Jim,

            On behalf of the men of the Ok Chorale, I can say that we were all touched by Ken and his love of life and the joy he brought to many of our shows when the OK4 performed. Although alot of our membership has changed over the years many of the guys knew Ken and were sad to hear the news.
            We have lost one of the great ones...

            Jeff Sykes

            To: bbshop@yahoogroups.comFrom: jmassey@...: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:02:35 -0600Subject: [bbshop] Passing of Ken Witten OK4 tenor

            It is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Ken Witten. Last Sunday morning, he dressed for church, then laid down on the bed and left us.Ken is best known for his role as the hilarious tenor of the OK4 quartet who was very active in barbershop shows and contests. With Ken's expertise as a showman and tenor singer, the OK4 sang all over the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, and the South Pacific; plus they were BHS international medalists 5 times in the 70's.He was one of the dearest people I've ever known. We were friends for 45 years.He will be greatly missed!Jim Massey - Ken's lead singer[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • Jim Massey
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
              Thanks Jeff and OK Chorale

              Ken was indeed a "one in a million". The "sweet and cuddly" character that we saw on stage was indeed a major part of his personality.

              You are right when you say "We have lost one of the great ones"!

              To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com