Re: [bbshop] Re: Super Bowl Anthem

  • Orien Colmer
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 2, 2009
      I completely agree Mark, and I think that kind of close-minded
      attitude is one of the many reasons why it's hard to attract young
      people to the hobby. They come and visit and then see their own
      culture and forms of musical expression get ridiculed. I've heard way
      too many barbershoppers spew out that kind of musical hate-speech and
      I find it very distasteful.

      I'm NOT suggesting that we actually integrate other styles of music
      into our own, far from it, but you don't have to compromise your
      principals in order to be nice to someone.

      -- Orien (aka Big-O) Colmer

      On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Mark Davidson <mark.dvdsn@...> wrote:

      > I believe maybe one reason why our beloved Barbershop is not respected in the "outside" world the way we think it should be, is that we are not very accepting of anything that is not barbershop. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand much of the "outside" music these days. There are many I have heard wonder, "what in the world are those guys doing with their hands while singing?" ( in a barbershop quartet ) Why do we sustain a note at the end of a song for up to 30 seconds now, and beyond, while the other 3 guys sing the same words over and over again trying to make any chord that will go along with the sustained note?
      >
      > My guess as to the style that Jennifer Hudson sang our national anthem, could be traced back to her roots and who she is as a young woman who grew up singing in her church's gospel choir. That is the style. Let us be more understanding of our Brother''s and Sister's right to sing our national anthem not the way the writers intended it, but how the performers heart feels it and decides to share with us. Francis Scott Key never arranged it in four part harmony either. I love my country, and it's anthem, and the only time you will hear me complain about it, is if Rosanne Barr sings it, or someone defiles it the way she did. Oh, I love Barbershop...and have a real life working barber pole in my house to prove it.
      > Thanks
      > Mark Davidson
      >

      > To: bbshop@yahoogroups.comFrom: fclef@...: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:56:05 +0000Subject: [bbshop] Re: Super Bowl Anthem
      >

      > Ms. Hudson did considerably better than the Backstreet Boys, who sang anything but the right notes at the World Series. Besides, I counted four sets of vocal cords in their ensemble, but heard at most only three-part chords.But while I know barbershoppers love to take rhythmic liberties, I do not understand why the "standard stadium version" of SSB now takes the first 24 measures in 4/4 time. MY copy shows the whole song in 3/4.

    • Mark Davidson
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 8, 2009
        Howdy my Barbershop Brothers and Sisters,
        With all the National anthem talk lately. I though I would share a youtube video of my Sister, Lisa Davidson Maslen's, 11-year-old voice students performance just a couple of weeks ago at the Sacramento Kings Game. I just happened to have tickets that night, and Lisa had no idea I was there. Some of you may remember Lisa as the little adorable tenor of the Davidson Forever Family Quartet, back in the 80s. Her student, Mariah, could barely sing when Lisa took her on, and now... Being in the crowd that night, I have never heard the crowd go nuts like they did for her that night. It was amazing. Please listen, and be kind on your critiques, as I know the young girl, and love her vocal coach.

        here 'tis
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBlBieAxwSI

        Mark Davidson
        Bass extrodinaire in the shower