Program VP

  • Phil Stern
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2009
      I love the discussion about PVPs. It not a matter of should you have one or
      not that is the issue. Someone or a group of people need to be responsible
      for the program that is presented to the members and guests each week. It's
      how that job is performed that matters.

      I had the opportunity to serve as PVP in two chapters, as well as a Chapter

      The last time I was a PVP was in 1997 and 1998 while in the Alexandria
      Harmonizers. Before beginning my tour, the music team and I came to an
      understanding about the conduct of our meetings. The job of the PVP was to
      put the music team's program before the membership each week. We did have
      quartet activities. We did conduct our business meetings. We did take the
      time to welcome guests. We even did some hospital sings on meeting nights.
      We did do all the things we needed and wanted to do each week. We did all
      that and had outstanding and high quality time when our music team had us
      for their portions of the evening. We did all that because we planned what
      we wanted to do and when. We worked together not apart.

      In 1997, I was awarded the chapter's Spirit of Harmony Award,* *which is
      given to a Harmonizer who during the year best exemplified the fundamental
      Society qualities of congeniality and good character and who worked hardest
      to encourage participation in vocal harmony by Chapter visitors and
      members. I won that because I knew what my job was: To make the program
      run smoothly; have fun; and make people feel welcome.

      I continues as PVP the following year. "Our" program was so successful that
      we won the International Chorus Championship in 1998, and we did not just
      get on the risers and rehearse for three hours straight each week. We were
      a chapter, not just a chorus.

      You can have a PVP; a good mix of activities; and a have solid music
      program. You can do this if the PVP remembers that the primary job is to
      deliver the music team's program. It's not the PVP's program. He just
      delivers it in a smooth series of events. There is time for everything each
      week if the music team and the PVP work as a team.

      PVPs can learn to do things save time and to keep business portions of the
      meetings short by making announcements from the risers during the rehearsals
      when there are breaks in the action up front. When some points of the
      music were being discussed up front by the music team. I would announce in
      a loud voice, "While there's a break in the action...", and then make a
      quick announcement. When I knew that someone else needed to make a quick
      announcement, I would tell them to be prepared if I called on them during
      such times. Many times I could get through all the announcements before
      the business portion of the meeting and not have to take up time during the
      business portion of the meetings. The PVP can let the music team know in
      advance that he would like a certain activity, and let the music team be a
      part of it (Push out quartets, novice quartet contests, etc.). I was
      always flexible. The dynamics of what's going up front dictates what the
      PVP does. Again, it's the music team's program.

      Another reason for greater productivity each week was that we did not spend
      each session with the music team going over the material again and again and
      again. The sessions with the music team didn't waste time in fixing
      problems over and over. The members were prepared. They spend some of
      their "hobby" time away from the rehearsal hall working on their "hobby".
      Our rehearsals were to enhance what the music team taught us, and what we
      worked on at home. It wasn't always gold medal performances each week, but
      the incentive was to make it better each week, not just go over something
      for the sake of going over something.

      Whether your chapter has a PVP or not, the same duties need to be performed
      by someone or a group, and it's got to be done in harmony with all parties
      concerned in the care and feeding of the existing members and potential
      members. New members will tend to remain if they don't see in-fighting to
      "run" the chapter and rehearsals. You have to show people that you're
      organized. You have to show people that the organization knows what it's

      So the bottom line is make sure your organization is in fact organized.
      Plan the work. Work the plan. Be flex. Have fun.

      Phil Stern
      Tampa, FL Chapter
      Past PVP, Alexandria VA Chapter
      Past Pres and PVP, Norfolk VA Chapter