Breathing exercises for "seasoned" singers

  • jburri62
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hello,

      Calling out to any and all singing gurus for guidance with aging
      voices and breath support, particularly where vibrato and tremolo are
      an issue.

      I've been asked by several people for specific breathing exercises to
      build better breath control and correct/reduce the vibrato, if
      possible. Granted, this can be an issue regardless of age, but it
      seems to be a greater issue for older singers.

      Please copy replies to the list ... I'm sure there are many who may be
      interested.

      Bring it and ring it,

      John Burri
      Vancouver, WA
    • Michael Bell
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        From - A Dictionary of Vocal Terminology - by Cornelius Reid

        “There are distinct physiological and qualitative differences between the wobble and other
        characteristic tonal movements, such as the vibrato and tremolo. The perfectly even
        pulsations of the vibrato are desirable movements and reflect a proper use of the (vocal)
        instrument. The tremolo and wobble, on the other hand, result from poor muscular
        coordination and indicate the presence of muscular interference and compensatory
        tensions. <snip>

        The tremolo is characterized by an excessively fast, ‘nervous’ tonal pulse brought on by
        severe throat constriction and muscular rigidity. The wobble (a slowed and exaggerated
        tonal pulse), on the other hand, results from an overly dominant chest register forced too
        high in the tonal range, a fault which disrupts the stability of the laryngeal suspension.”

        Neither of these faults are directly connected to breath support. Breath support exercises
        will not cure them.

        In general terms a tremolo is “cured” by relieving the tensions which caused it. A wobble
        is “cured” by using the proper register weight for the pitch and volume level.

        Mike Bell

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "jburri62" <burritone@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Calling out to any and all singing gurus for guidance with aging
        > voices and breath support, particularly where vibrato and tremolo are
        > an issue.
        >
        > I've been asked by several people for specific breathing exercises to
        > build better breath control and correct/reduce the vibrato, if
        > possible. Granted, this can be an issue regardless of age, but it
        > seems to be a greater issue for older singers.
        >
        > Please copy replies to the list ... I'm sure there are many who may be
        > interested.
        >
        > Bring it and ring it,
        >
        > John Burri
        > Vancouver, WA