Leno's "Headlines"

  • lloyd@flash.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      Every Monday Jay Leno has a part of his program which features articles
      in newspapers that have something he can poke fun at. Usually it is a
      misspelled word in an ad or the juxtaposition of two words that are
      funny.

      This week one of the articles featured a barbershop chorus singing for a
      deaf school. He just held up the article and said, "How does this
      work?" He then mouthed some words as if singing in pantomime. It was
      all good-natured and not degrading in any way to anyone.

      I have looked for a program when my quartet sang at a church service
      years ago and the program said the service was featuring music from some
      barbershop "sinners".

      No question that we were indeed sinners, but that was not what the
      typist meant to say.

      If I ever stumble across that program I will send it to Leno.

      Lloyd Erickson - Innsiders, Houston Tidelanders

    • Bruce Baedke
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        To see the headline:

        http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/headlines/H_3629/04.shtml#headline

        Bruce Baedke <><
        Bass - Pride of Iowa chorus

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, <lloyd@...> wrote:

        > Every Monday Jay Leno has a part of his program which features articles
        > in newspapers that have something he can poke fun at. Usually it is a
        > misspelled word in an ad or the juxtaposition of two words that are
        > funny.
        >
        > This week one of the articles featured a barbershop chorus singing for a
        > deaf school. He just held up the article and said, "How does this
        > work?" He then mouthed some words as if singing in pantomime. It was
        > all good-natured and not degrading in any way to anyone.
        >
        > I have looked for a program when my quartet sang at a church service
        > years ago and the program said the service was featuring music from some
        > barbershop "sinners".
        >
        > No question that we were indeed sinners, but that was not what the
        > typist meant to say.
        >
        > If I ever stumble across that program I will send it to Leno.
        >
        > Lloyd Erickson - Innsiders, Houston Tidelanders

      • David Dantowitz
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        • Leaderman
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
            That reminds me of a program in a church where I was singing with a
            group of five - 2 men and 3 women. The church sort of butchered the name
            of the group and we were billed as "Five Sinning Through Life." All
            true, but not quite what was supposed to be. We laughed about for a long
            time afterwards and even used it in our introductions.

            --
            Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

            John Elving
            VP Mus. & Perf.
            Editor-in-Cheap, First Place 2008 Online Bulletin
            Shrine of Democracy Chorus
            2007 BOTY
            RMD CDD VP
            PROBE VP- Bulletin Editors
            Outstanding In Front - Certified Trainer
            Certified Standing Ovation Trainer & Reviewer
            Rapid City, SD
            Email: leaderman@...
          • Ken Buckner
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
              Do you guys really watch Leno..... ?

            • Bill Kruse
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                Leno, Letterman, Ferguson and O'Brien, I watch them all!  It's only until 1:30 AM.

                BK

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                  I use my DVR, and watch the monologue, and headlines, etc, the next day.
                  Bill Byrd

                  On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Ken Buckner <baronbari@...> wrote:

                  > Do you guys really watch Leno..... ?

                • Joe Bradbury
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Just because you're long abed by the time he's on, don't think every other
                    barbershopper is...
                    Good to know you're still aware of things....
                    Say Hi to Holly
                    joe

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                      In a message dated 10/1/08 2:06:59 PM, Grandpak35@... writes:

                      > Leno (NBC), Letterman (CBS)

                      Do you switch-dial back and forth, or do you have 2 sets?

                      Dick Johnson
                      Great Falls, MT