Harmony On The Map

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2008
      Greetings Fellow Barbershoppers:

      Please check out:
      http://www.soundoftherockies.com/DMap/
      and take a look at a map-oriented chapter locator using Google Maps.

      I would like to get some feedback to see if this project is worth
      continuing.

      If you are interested in providing comments and suggestions some details are
      provided below.

      =====================================
      District Maps:
      These development maps contain only the fields I was able to download from
      the BHS chapter locator and include:
      - Chapter name
      - Chorus name
      - Meeting place
      - City
      - State
      - Zip code **
      - Contact phone number
      ** Since the chapter meeting place addresses were not available in the data
      I downloaded, most chapter markers point to somewhere the zip code and not
      to a specific address

      Additional field that could be added:
      - Street address of chapter rehearsal location - View the Rocky Mountain
      District map and zoom in to the street level to see how the address fields
      allow the rehearsal location to be pinpointed. The satellite image feature
      can be turned on to view actual streets and structures. ^^
      - Chorus web page URL
      - Rehearsal Information ~~
      - Chapter size
      - Short chapter description ~~
      - Picture - Click on RMD/Sound of the Rockies ~~
      ^^ The geomapping program I used is not always completely accurate if there
      are any problems with the address, so districts &/or chapters would need to
      carefully review each District map to make certain the chapter locations
      were mapped accurately - the marker for one chapter wound up in Germany.
      ~~ Custom chapter information that is not readily available in databases
      might take some effort to round up and incorporate into the database.

      Map characteristics:
      - Currently a single marker style/color has been used for most chapters
      - Currently chapters are listed alphabetically - they could be listed in
      other orders (size, division, etc)
      - Google markers are available and can be used - check out the Sunshine
      District
      - Custom markers can be created and used in the maps
      - Marker styles/colors could be used to visually differentiate chapters in a
      district by characteristics like chapter size, division membership,
      rehearsal day, etc.

      I will be happy to create a new round of updated maps based on additional
      fields if I am able to obtain district data in a clean, accurate format.

      To continue this project, I will need to delegate maintenance of the
      district maps to individuals within each district - perhaps the district
      webmasters. I established each district map with an individual Gmail
      account, and that information (along with instructions) would be provided to
      those willing to help.

      If others have experience working with klm files and creating/updating
      Google Maps, I would appreciate you getting in touch with me. I picked up
      the little I know by experimentation, and there are probably a lot of
      techniques that could be used to cut the time involved for map creation and
      maintenance significantly.

      =====================================
      Convention Maps:
      On the District Maps main page I also included links to very rough
      "mock-ups" of maps for the two upcoming conventions.

      I plan to solicit "insider information" from residents and folks who have
      visited Pasadena and Anaheim. The idea is to put together lists and maps
      that include great places to eat, fun places to visit, etc. (complete with
      descriptions and reviews). My hope is that these maps would not only map
      the well known locations (like Disneyland) but introduce visitors to local
      treasures which most visitors might never discover.

      Thanks for any feedback and suggestions you might have

      In harmony,

      Randy
      Bass, Sound of the Rockies

    • Doug Rhoads
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        Randy,
        That is cool. I wish I would have had that map when I was traveling on vacation and looking for a chorus to sing with. It appears that you put a lot of work into this.
        Doug Rhoads
        West Branch Chorus, Lewisburg, pa
        The Nittany Knights Chorus, State College, PA
        MAD

> [...]
        > maintenance significantly.
        >
        > =====================================
        > Convention Maps:
        > On the District Maps main page I also included links to
        > very rough
        > "mock-ups" of maps for the two upcoming
        > conventions.
        >
        > I plan to solicit "insider information" from
        > residents and folks who have
        > visited Pasadena and Anaheim. The idea is to put together
        > lists and maps
        > that include great places to eat, fun places to visit, etc.
        > (complete with
        > descriptions and reviews). My hope is that these maps
        > would not only map
        > the well known locations (like Disneyland) but introduce
        > visitors to local
        > treasures which most visitors might never discover.
        >
        > Thanks for any feedback and suggestions you might have

      • Mac McIntosh
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
          Great job Randy, obviously a labor of love for Barbershop...

          H.L. "Mac" McIntosh
          Clovis, California
          Lead/Webmaster - Silver & Gold - 2008 NCENN Senior Champions
          http://mcgraphicsplus.com/SilverNGold/
          Tenor/Webmaster/Contact - Jubilation Singers
          http://mcgraphicsplus.com/Jubilation/
          Lead/Webmaster - Gold Note Chorus - 2008 NCENN Champions
          http://goldnotechorus.com
          Castmember - New Wrinkles
          http://NewWrinklesFresno.com
          Owner/Webmaster - McGraphics Plus
          http://McGraphicsPlus.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
            This is fantastic Randy. Would like to see and email contact address for
            all chapters if possible. Thanks much for your work.
            In Harmony
            Jack Martin
            Cumming GA