Re: Sevenths ("I Love You Truly")

  • Duane Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
      Something else to keep in mind is that in terms of audience appeal, a
      familiar song, even with a simple chord structure, may have greater
      impact than an unfamiliar song with a chord structure more suitable
      for barbershop. The audience is reacting from their personal
      experience with the song, and certainly aren't counting seventh
      chords. Our quartet uses a rather simple arrangement of Sentimental
      Journey, which is lacking in enough 7th's and harmonic variation to
      be a good contest vehicle. Yet it always gets a good reaction, with
      people smiling, mouthing the words, etc. Unless my ear is deceiving
      me, a number of Boston Commons songs would fall in this category.

      Duane Johnson

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, plumbbari@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/1/2008 4:07:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > bbiffle@... writes:
      > > And yet, when Bert and Ernie serenade the newlyweds in the rain
      outside
      > > the old mansion in "It's a Wonderful Life", they sing this song -
      in
      > > beautiful, simple, easy 2 part harmony.
      >
      > That's exactly why "I Love You Truly" was included in the hand-out
      music
      > packet of one of the earliest Harmony Colleges (1972 in Racine) and
      taught by no
      > other than the late Bob Johnson, Supreme Kibber
      Emeritus.....because it was so
      > easy to harmonize. The arrangement was basically "ear harmony" and
      everybody
      > sang it so easily.
      >
      > [For the hundreds of H'net newbies who don't know Bob Johnson: he
      was the
      > brains, backbone, and heart of SPEBSQSA for about twenty years,
      starting in 1961
      > when he became the Society's Director of Music Services (and so
      much more) ]

      > Steve Plumb
      > plumbbari@...
      > plumbs@...
      > "Professor Plum(b) did it in the Music Room with a Pitch Pipe"
      > (for old Clue players)

    • Shelley Herman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
        > [For the hundreds of H'net newbies who don't know Bob Johnson: he was the
        > brains, backbone, and heart of SPEBSQSA for about twenty years, starting in
        > 1961
        > when he became the Society's Director of Music Services (and so much more) ]

        He also directed the Dundalk MD chapter to a gold medal when they had about
        2000 members, or so it seemed from the pictures.

        He was quite a character.

        Shelley Herman
        saherman@...
      • Toban Dvoretzky
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
          The articulate, gentlemanly Kevin Keller wrote, in part:

          >As for "I Love You Truly", everyone in the audience raise your hand if you
          >don't think it is a barbershop song. OK, Toban raised his hand but no one
          >else (love ya, man).

          ---
          Luv ya too, man. Luv "I Love You Truly," too. On a scale of "good,
          better, best" choice of song material to be Barbershopped, there are songs
          with greater harmonic interest to them; however, lest anyone get a
          misimpression, I'm in favor of a good paper or woodshedded arrangement of
          this song being sung (well) at any time for any reason.

          Now, back to preparing for the dratted hurricane that seems to be headed
          down our throats...

          Toban Dvoretzky
          toban.77014 @ windstream.net