Colbert Knows his American Music

  • P. Agnew
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2008
      Did anyone else catch Stephen Colbert's mention of barbershop quartets
      as being pure American music last night during the author interview?

      We need to get our marketing gurus engaged in taking advantage of the
      huge opportunity this presents. Colbert plays up the Americana and we
      could leverage this to continue our efforts to promote a positive
      image for the Barbershop Harmony Society.

      I suggest:

      1) We need to get the Big Apple Chorus to fill the seats for one if
      his shows as soon as possible.
      2) We need to have a theme song writing competition. The
      competition, in and of itself, will get a lot of airplay, and the
      winning song could be performed by one of our top quartets (like Tim
      Waurick).
      3) Instead of becoming a running gag like on Conan, we could actually
      see barbershop become a running bit with a positive take.

      The show replays tonight at 8:30 (eastern time) on Comedy Central. Set
      your TiVo's...

      Paul Agnew
      Bass
      HotShots & The GeriTones
    • Alan Gordon
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2008
        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "P. Agnew" <bluejet941@...> wrote:

        > Did anyone else catch Stephen Colbert's mention of barbershop quartets
        > as being pure American music last night during the author interview?

        While the barbershop metion last night had a hint of negativity and
        sarcasm to it, it wasn't terrbile, and I agree that Colbert is
        especially the type to be open to your positive suggestions.

        > 2) We need to have a theme song writing competition. The
        > competition, in and of itself, will get a lot of airplay, and the
        > winning song could be performed by one of our top quartets (like Tim
        > Waurick).

        That last line has left water on my keyboard, however... =)

        Alan
        gotchabari@...
      • JHunna1@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
          In a message dated 1/30/2008 7:22:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          bluejet941@... writes:

          Did anyone else catch Stephen Colbert's mention of barbershop quartets
          as being pure American music last night during the author interview?

          We need to get our marketing gurus engaged in taking advantage of the
          huge opportunity this presents. Colbert plays up the Americana and we
          could leverage this to continue our efforts to promote a positive
          image for the Barbershop Harmony Society.

          I suggest:

          1) We need to get the Big Apple Chorus to fill the seats for one if
          his shows as soon as possible.

          Hey - we're up for that. :-) We probably take ourselves at least as
          seriously as Colbert takes EVERYTHING.

          Joe Hunter
          Director - Big Apple Chorus

        • Christopher Baker
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
            At 19:21 1/30/2008, P. Agnew wrote:
            >Did anyone else catch Stephen Colbert's mention of barbershop quartets
            >as being pure American music last night during the author interview?

            yes. it was the last thing out of his mouth when he was saying
            goodbye to his guest.

            >We need to get our marketing gurus engaged in taking advantage of the
            >huge opportunity this presents. Colbert plays up the Americana and we
            >could leverage this to continue our efforts to promote a positive
            >image for the Barbershop Harmony Society.

            remembering that his show is a parody, we should send a comedy
            quartet or one that can react to anything thrown at it without losing
            the positive thread.

            >I suggest:
            >
            >1) We need to get the Big Apple Chorus to fill the seats for one if
            >his shows as soon as possible.
            >2) We need to have a theme song writing competition. The
            >competition, in and of itself, will get a lot of airplay, and the
            >winning song could be performed by one of our top quartets (like Tim
            >Waurick).
            >3) Instead of becoming a running gag like on Conan, we could actually
            >see barbershop become a running bit with a positive take.

            properly played, yes.

            >The show replays tonight at 8:30 (eastern time) on Comedy Central. Set
            >your TiVo's...
            >
            >Paul Agnew
            >Bass
            >HotShots & The GeriTones

            if only you guys weren't so far away....

            Happy Valentine's Day!
            Christopher

            Valentine Central
            FUN-290-3452

            http://www.surfsidechorus.org/valentines.htm

            Barbershop Harmony Society

            Don't live in the Daytona Beach area? Get a Singing Valentine
            anywhere in North America:

            http://www.singingvalentines.com

            Join the Singing Valentines email list:

            Barbershop Harmony is an authentic and original American musical art form

            Surfside Chorus is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
          • Scott Russell
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
              I am up for the visit, you can order tickets in groups of 4. How ironic.

              Scott Russell
              Big Apple Chorus

              bluejet941@... writes:

              Did anyone else catch Stephen Colbert's mention of barbershop quartets
              as being pure American music last night during the author interview?

              We need to get our marketing gurus engaged in taking advantage of the
              huge opportunity this presents. Colbert plays up the Americana and we
              could leverage this to continue our efforts to promote a positive
              image for the Barbershop Harmony Society.

              I suggest:

              1) We need to get the Big Apple Chorus to fill the seats for one if
              his shows as soon as possible.

              Hey - we're up for that. :-) We probably take ourselves at least as
              seriously as Colbert takes EVERYTHING.

              Joe Hunter
              Director - Big Apple Chorus

            • TJ
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1 7:37 AM
                Proceed with caution.

                I didn't see the segment in question, but I have seen the show.
                It's a spoof of a conservative pundit program that airs on one of
                the big cable news networks. Colbert essentially plays a character
                who is a 180-degree opposite of himself, and the audience knows
                this.

                The whole premise of the show is that Colbert espouses political
                views that both he and his audience in reality consider
                reprehensible or stupid. So if he says within the context of the
                show that he likes barbershop, he's probably knocking barbershop by
                suggesting it's the kind of music that only a stuffy conservative
                pundit would enjoy.

                Regardless of politics, lobbying for airtime on any show whose main
                object is to openly ridicule people isn't good PR. You simply don't
                know how you'll be portrayed until after the spot has been edited
                and aired...and then it's too late to save face.

                Wouldn't it be cool if someday TV producers call on barbershop
                singers for something other than a comedic appearance?

                In Harmony,

                TJ Barranger
                Director
                The Sons of the Severn
                Anne Arundel, MD

                --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "P. Agnew" <bluejet941@...> wrote:

                > Did anyone else catch Stephen Colbert's mention of barbershop
                quartets
                > as being pure American music last night during the author
                interview?

                > We need to get our marketing gurus engaged in taking advantage of
                the
                > huge opportunity this presents. Colbert plays up the Americana
                and we
                > could leverage this to continue our efforts to promote a positive
                > image for the Barbershop Harmony Society.
                >
                > I suggest:
                >
                > 1) We need to get the Big Apple Chorus to fill the seats for one
                if
                > his shows as soon as possible.
                > 2) We need to have a theme song writing competition. The
                > competition, in and of itself, will get a lot of airplay, and the
                > winning song could be performed by one of our top quartets (like
                Tim
                > Waurick).
                > 3) Instead of becoming a running gag like on Conan, we could
                actually
                > see barbershop become a running bit with a positive take.
                >

                > The show replays tonight at 8:30 (eastern time) on Comedy Central.
                Set
                > your TiVo's...
                >
                > Paul Agnew
                > Bass
                > HotShots & The GeriTones

              • joe lazar
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1 8:37 AM
                  Someone who _/*knows how*/_ should send (email? or snail mail) a good
                  DVD with appropriate comments.
                  Joe.

                • Christopher Baker
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1 9:02 AM
                    At 10:37 2/1/2008, TJ wrote:
                    >The whole premise of the show is that Colbert espouses political
                    >views that both he and his audience in reality consider
                    >reprehensible or stupid. So if he says within the context of the
                    >show that he likes barbershop, he's probably knocking barbershop by
                    >suggesting it's the kind of music that only a stuffy conservative
                    >pundit would enjoy.

                    he didn't say he likes it. he merely acknowledged that it is an
                    American musical art form.

                    as for comedy, it often reaches more people than other methods.

                    but your point is well taken as long as one remembers their sense of humor.