RE: [bbshop] Re:Jan.19, '08 - 47th SoCal Annual Novice Quartet Contest (Far Western

  • Bill Kane
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      In defense of all parties concerned, this is a first time COTS in our
      Division and I believe the others were completed in the Fall as usual. And
      this is the first time the SoCal Novice Contest has been promoted as
      including AZ, although at least one quartet from our chapter has won the
      contest before.

      Scheduling conflicts are unfortunately always with us. . .in this case our
      chapter has a young quartet that might well have gone to the Novice Contest.
      Can't go cause they are going to COTS? Nope, one of them is Chairman of
      the Chapter Installation/Awards Dinner the next day.

      Ah conflicts.

      Bill Kane
      Phoenix

    • Mark Davidson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        True Bill, ALLIANCE a young mens quartet (at the time) were all members of the Phoenicians. And participated and won that contest in 1999. I still display my trophy and ribbon proudly. It was a blast to compete against some top name quarteters as they sang with some novice guys to help give them experience. It was even more fun beating some of those top name quartet guys.

        ALLIANCE was made up of:
        Ken Distel Tenor
        Matt Steinkamp Lead
        Dusty Schlier Baritone
        Mark Davidson Bass

        That quaretet was the most fun I have ever had in a quartet. Truely the way it should be. I miss you guys!!

        Mark Davidson
        Bass Davisdon Forever Family Quartet
        Bass ALLIANCE
        FWD MC

        currently running out the door to Open Mic Night at Laughs Unlimited in Old Sacramento.

        To: gotchabari@...; bbshop@yahoogroups.com; DRUPDEGRAFF@...: BillKaneVIP@...: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 19:20:04 +0000Subject: RE: [bbshop] Re:Jan.19, '08 - 47th SoCal Annual Novice Quartet Contest (Far Western

        In defense of all parties concerned, this is a first time COTS in our Division and I believe the others were completed in the Fall as usual. And this is the first time the SoCal Novice Contest has been promoted as including AZ, although at least one quartet from our chapter has won the contest before.Scheduling conflicts are unfortunately always with us. . .in this case our chapter has a young quartet that might well have gone to the Novice Contest. Can't go cause they are going to COTS? Nope, one of them is Chairman of the Chapter Installation/Awards Dinner the next day.Ah conflicts.Bill KanePhoenix>From: "Alan Gordon" <gotchabari@...>>To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [bbshop] Re:Jan.19, '08 - 47th SoCal Annual Novice Quartet Contest >(Far Western>Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:22:38 -0000>>David,>>In Sean's defense, the Novice contest has been in this time frame>every year. However, this is the first time I've ever seen a COTS>in January (used to be in November).>>Perhaps the need to look for date conflict belongs to the group that>moved the date range from the historical norm, and not to the one>who is maintaining a groove for 47 years.>>Either way, the note probably could have survived in private.>>Alan>gotchabari@...>>--- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Updegraff"><DRUPDEGRAFF@...> wrote:> >> > Hi, Sean:> >> >> >> > Although because of the distance between the sponsoring>organization and> > Phoenix, it is not a scheduling conflict, I feel that I should at>least> > mention that the Chapter Operations Training Seminar (COTS) for>Arizona> > occurs in Phoenix on the same day as your Novice Quartet Contest>in Southern> > California. If you hadn't mentioned that it was open to Arizona>quartets in> > the invitation, I would not be writing. I am not aware whether or>not many> > Arizona quartets enter this contest. It could put a quartet>member in a> > spot if they had to decide between two such attractive events. I>would hope> > that in the future, scheduling of such events takes these>constraints into> > consideration.> >> >> >> > Thanks, and I do hope you have a great contest and a great day!> >> >> >> > David Updegraff> >> > Chairman, Chapter Support and Leadership Team> >> > Far Western District> >> > Music and Performance V-P and Immediate Past President> >> > Tucson Sunshine Chapter> >> >> >> >> >> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]> >>>

      • dave tautkus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
          Is there enough interest in AZ to start their own Novice? I know that NorCal has their own, maybe it is time? you could open it up to local schools and have a separate classification for "member quartets" and High School quartets.

          Alan Gordon <gotchabari@...> wrote: David,

          <DRUPDEGRAFF@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Sean:
          >

          > Although because of the distance between the sponsoring
          organization and
          > Phoenix, it is not a scheduling conflict, I feel that I should at
          least
          > mention that the Chapter Operations Training Seminar (COTS) for
          Arizona
          > occurs in Phoenix on the same day as your Novice Quartet Contest
          in Southern
          > California. If you hadn't mentioned that it was open to Arizona
          quartets in
          > the invitation, I would not be writing. I am not aware whether or
          not many
          > Arizona quartets enter this contest. It could put a quartet
          member in a
          > spot if they had to decide between two such attractive events. I
          would hope
          > that in the future, scheduling of such events takes these
          constraints into
          > consideration.
          >

          > Thanks, and I do hope you have a great contest and a great day!
          >

          > David Updegraff
          >
          > Chairman, Chapter Support and Leadership Team
          >
          > Far Western District
          >
          > Music and Performance V-P and Immediate Past President
          >
          > Tucson Sunshine Chapter

        • Bill Kane
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
            Good idea Dave. I've passed it on to Division VP.

            Bill Kane
            newly appointed Division Events Chairman