Re:Jan.19, '08 - 47th SoCal Annual Novice Quartet Contest (Far Western

  • David R. Updegraff
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi, Sean:

      Although because of the distance between the sponsoring organization and
      Phoenix, it is not a scheduling conflict, I feel that I should at least
      mention that the Chapter Operations Training Seminar (COTS) for Arizona
      occurs in Phoenix on the same day as your Novice Quartet Contest in Southern
      California. If you hadn't mentioned that it was open to Arizona quartets in
      the invitation, I would not be writing. I am not aware whether or not many
      Arizona quartets enter this contest. It could put a quartet member in a
      spot if they had to decide between two such attractive events. I would hope
      that in the future, scheduling of such events takes these constraints into
      consideration.

      Thanks, and I do hope you have a great contest and a great day!

      David Updegraff

      Chairman, Chapter Support and Leadership Team

      Far Western District

      Music and Performance V-P and Immediate Past President

      Tucson Sunshine Chapter

    • Alan Gordon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        David,

        In Sean's defense, the Novice contest has been in this time frame
        every year. However, this is the first time I've ever seen a COTS
        in January (used to be in November).

        Perhaps the need to look for date conflict belongs to the group that
        moved the date range from the historical norm, and not to the one
        who is maintaining a groove for 47 years.

        Either way, the note probably could have survived in private.

        Alan
        gotchabari@...

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Updegraff"
        <DRUPDEGRAFF@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Sean:
        >

        > Although because of the distance between the sponsoring
        organization and
        > Phoenix, it is not a scheduling conflict, I feel that I should at
        least
        > mention that the Chapter Operations Training Seminar (COTS) for
        Arizona
        > occurs in Phoenix on the same day as your Novice Quartet Contest
        in Southern
        > California. If you hadn't mentioned that it was open to Arizona
        quartets in
        > the invitation, I would not be writing. I am not aware whether or
        not many
        > Arizona quartets enter this contest. It could put a quartet
        member in a
        > spot if they had to decide between two such attractive events. I
        would hope
        > that in the future, scheduling of such events takes these
        constraints into
        > consideration.
        >

        > Thanks, and I do hope you have a great contest and a great day!
        >

        > David Updegraff
        >
        > Chairman, Chapter Support and Leadership Team
        >
        > Far Western District
        >
        > Music and Performance V-P and Immediate Past President
        >
        > Tucson Sunshine Chapter

      • Bill Kane
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
          In defense of all parties concerned, this is a first time COTS in our
          Division and I believe the others were completed in the Fall as usual. And
          this is the first time the SoCal Novice Contest has been promoted as
          including AZ, although at least one quartet from our chapter has won the
          contest before.

          Scheduling conflicts are unfortunately always with us. . .in this case our
          chapter has a young quartet that might well have gone to the Novice Contest.
          Can't go cause they are going to COTS? Nope, one of them is Chairman of
          the Chapter Installation/Awards Dinner the next day.

          Ah conflicts.

          Bill Kane
          Phoenix

        • Mark Davidson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
            True Bill, ALLIANCE a young mens quartet (at the time) were all members of the Phoenicians. And participated and won that contest in 1999. I still display my trophy and ribbon proudly. It was a blast to compete against some top name quarteters as they sang with some novice guys to help give them experience. It was even more fun beating some of those top name quartet guys.

            ALLIANCE was made up of:
            Ken Distel Tenor
            Matt Steinkamp Lead
            Dusty Schlier Baritone
            Mark Davidson Bass

            That quaretet was the most fun I have ever had in a quartet. Truely the way it should be. I miss you guys!!

            Mark Davidson
            Bass Davisdon Forever Family Quartet
            Bass ALLIANCE
            FWD MC

            currently running out the door to Open Mic Night at Laughs Unlimited in Old Sacramento.

            To: gotchabari@...; bbshop@yahoogroups.com; DRUPDEGRAFF@...: BillKaneVIP@...: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 19:20:04 +0000Subject: RE: [bbshop] Re:Jan.19, '08 - 47th SoCal Annual Novice Quartet Contest (Far Western

            In defense of all parties concerned, this is a first time COTS in our Division and I believe the others were completed in the Fall as usual. And this is the first time the SoCal Novice Contest has been promoted as including AZ, although at least one quartet from our chapter has won the contest before.Scheduling conflicts are unfortunately always with us. . .in this case our chapter has a young quartet that might well have gone to the Novice Contest. Can't go cause they are going to COTS? Nope, one of them is Chairman of the Chapter Installation/Awards Dinner the next day.Ah conflicts.Bill KanePhoenix>From: "Alan Gordon" <gotchabari@...>>To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [bbshop] Re:Jan.19, '08 - 47th SoCal Annual Novice Quartet Contest >(Far Western>Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:22:38 -0000>>David,>>In Sean's defense, the Novice contest has been in this time frame>every year. However, this is the first time I've ever seen a COTS>in January (used to be in November).>>Perhaps the need to look for date conflict belongs to the group that>moved the date range from the historical norm, and not to the one>who is maintaining a groove for 47 years.>>Either way, the note probably could have survived in private.>>Alan>gotchabari@...>>--- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Updegraff"><DRUPDEGRAFF@...> wrote:> >> > Hi, Sean:> >> >> >> > Although because of the distance between the sponsoring>organization and> > Phoenix, it is not a scheduling conflict, I feel that I should at>least> > mention that the Chapter Operations Training Seminar (COTS) for>Arizona> > occurs in Phoenix on the same day as your Novice Quartet Contest>in Southern> > California. If you hadn't mentioned that it was open to Arizona>quartets in> > the invitation, I would not be writing. I am not aware whether or>not many> > Arizona quartets enter this contest. It could put a quartet>member in a> > spot if they had to decide between two such attractive events. I>would hope> > that in the future, scheduling of such events takes these>constraints into> > consideration.> >> >> >> > Thanks, and I do hope you have a great contest and a great day!> >> >> >> > David Updegraff> >> > Chairman, Chapter Support and Leadership Team> >> > Far Western District> >> > Music and Performance V-P and Immediate Past President> >> > Tucson Sunshine Chapter> >> >> >> >> >> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]> >>>

          • dave tautkus
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
              Is there enough interest in AZ to start their own Novice? I know that NorCal has their own, maybe it is time? you could open it up to local schools and have a separate classification for "member quartets" and High School quartets.

              Alan Gordon <gotchabari@...> wrote: David,

              <DRUPDEGRAFF@...> wrote:

              > Hi, Sean:
              >

              > Although because of the distance between the sponsoring
              organization and
              > Phoenix, it is not a scheduling conflict, I feel that I should at
              least
              > mention that the Chapter Operations Training Seminar (COTS) for
              Arizona
              > occurs in Phoenix on the same day as your Novice Quartet Contest
              in Southern
              > California. If you hadn't mentioned that it was open to Arizona
              quartets in
              > the invitation, I would not be writing. I am not aware whether or
              not many
              > Arizona quartets enter this contest. It could put a quartet
              member in a
              > spot if they had to decide between two such attractive events. I
              would hope
              > that in the future, scheduling of such events takes these
              constraints into
              > consideration.
              >

              > Thanks, and I do hope you have a great contest and a great day!
              >

              > David Updegraff
              >
              > Chairman, Chapter Support and Leadership Team
              >
              > Far Western District
              >
              > Music and Performance V-P and Immediate Past President
              >
              > Tucson Sunshine Chapter

            • Bill Kane
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
                Good idea Dave. I've passed it on to Division VP.

                Bill Kane
                newly appointed Division Events Chairman