New Year's Resolution for the Society?

  • Tom Goldie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      Greetings, and Happy New Year to All!

      It's time for the Society to be looking at a list of New Year's
      resolutions, and I've got a few (??) suggestions:

      Allowing the membership to vote on:

      --the location of the next international convention (or the one that HASN'T
      been decided yet!)
      --what tunes the Society is going to pay to create arrangements for
      --whether we should put some of our tunes into the Public Domain for the
      good of the public, and which ones, along with any costs this would incur
      --allowing certain chapters to call themselves "fraternal", and have a
      separate group that oversees them, chosen by themselves, with
      awards/contests/et cetera that more fit their mission
      --allowing a vote of the body to "reopen" the issue of the logo, along with
      the cost of doing so, and allowing members to CHOOSE whether they want to
      pay that cost

      Heck, maybe even a posting on the Society President's blog (Hey, another
      resolution!!) about WHY none of this is being done.

      Poll the membership frequently. With the internet, this should be easy,
      and the Society should be OUT FRONT on this.

      Put the proposed budget out, itemized, with members allowing themselves to
      donate more to certain causes -- or perhaps less to others -- and
      transparency all around. Give us the metrics that allow us to tell if
      we're getting the return on our dollars spent on the "youth" mission, or
      any other expenditure. Tell us what we should expect to see if it's
      working, then let us judge for ourselves if it IS working. Ask US what
      we'd like to see money spent on, offering the same set of tools -- cost,
      metrics of success, and results.

      Ask members who attended the Convention asked what they thought of the last
      convention, what they liked and disliked, what they'd like to see more or
      less of.

      Ask members who DID NOT attend asked WHY, and what could be done to
      encourage them to visit the next one.

      Make the results of all polling available to the entire membership.

      Take over the "find a quartet" service -- instead leaving it to
      quartetbuilder.com. Not that they're not doing the job well enough -- in
      fact, their existence should SHAME the Socity -- but because it's not a
      Society site they don't promote it, and they have to advertise and depend
      on individual members to join. MEMBERSHIP IN SUCH A GROUP SHOULD BE THE
      DEFAULT, unless someone has no interest in joining a quartet. Don't tell
      me that encouraging quartets went by the wayside when the name changed from
      SPEBSQSA to BHS :P

      Make the society site a web portal that is interactive and educational to
      new members, and one that encourages interaction. Build it into a place
      that offers community, support, and cameraderie, rather than reflecting the
      "20th century" way of doing business and being designed to facilitate that
      way of doing business (on paper, and by mail). If this requires that the
      Society regear itself to working with the NEW tools, and then redesigning
      the website to become a place for providing those tools to ALL the members,
      then DO THAT, too.

      Make a public domain songbook of the OLD SONGS, that can be printed and
      distributed to all.

      Make a public domain SOUNDTRACK available for download so members can
      introduce others (especially young people) to the wonderful sounds of
      Barbershop without having to break the law. (I DO think that most of us
      still abide with the SPIRIT of the law, if not the letter.)

      Adopt the Barbershop Wiki, or offering space on their server and links to
      allow those who have taken the initiative to expand their audience.

      Advertise resources or discussion groups for people who are trying to get
      their barbershop fix in a small town, or where there isn't a chapter.

      Publish the Harmonizer online, and give people the option of choosing the
      electronic distribution of it, and eventually phase out the paper
      publication of it -- even allowing members to donate the cost of the paper
      version they forgo to the barbershop charity of their choice (building the
      public domain, education, website building).

      Reintroduce the Society and what they do. (Heck, I don't even know what
      the IBOD does, or what their mission is, what the issues are that they are
      addressing, and what they are choosing to ignore. I'm THAT ignorant, and
      not because I have tried, but because the Society has made that possible!)

      On the new website, give a history of what changes were made to the
      Society, and WHY by Society historians (what? We don't have such??
      Designate them! Another resolution!), and allow members to give their
      opinions and perhaps reach consensus, so we don't have to wonder what all
      the arguments about categories, 1968 (or whatevery year of the travesty is
      :P) and such are about.

      I look forward to reading everyone ELSE'S list of what they'd like to see
      for OUR Society,

      Tom Goldie
    • Tom Emmert
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
        That's an interesting concept. It means of course buying the copyright
        from the current owner (which may be the publisher, or the songwriter's
        descendents, or...) and for many old songs there may not be much annual
        income, so the price may be right.

        For "big name" songs, that's a different story!

        BTW - let me add my thanks to Rich, Gary, Garry, Linda, Ari, Joaner,
        Marty, & Vinnie for the dedication they showed to THN for the years it
        lasted. Hope you can find a new home for the show!

        Tom in Cincy

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Tom Goldie <tomgoldie@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, and Happy New Year to All!
        >
        > It's time for the Society to be looking at a list of New Year's
        > resolutions, and I've got a few (??) suggestions:
        >
        > Allowing the membership to vote on:

        > --whether we should put some of our tunes into the Public Domain for
        the
        > good of the public, and which ones, along with any costs this would
        incur
      • Charles D. Denzler
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
          On Tue, 01 Jan 2008, Tom Goldie <tomgoldie@...> writes:

          > Greetings, and Happy New Year to All!
          > It's time for the Society to be looking at a list of New Year's
          > resolutions, and I've got a few (??) suggestions.

          Tom presented a far-reaching and interesting list of resolutions.
          Here's another from a nit-picking chapter treasurer:

          -- Please don't wait weeks, months (or even years) to deposit checks sent
          by chapters, and encourage districts (especially Mid-Atlantic District)
          to do the same. Thanks