Re: PIONEERS Meeting, etc.

  • John Hosie
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
      I've had several exchanges with Tom Neal now, and I see all the notes on the subject flying through the Harmonet. What I have to say from all of this is that 1) Tom's initial email on this subject was probably not appropriate for this forum; and 2) that Tom has a real gripe that did not come through in the email - at least, it was lost in it.

      The real gripe is centered around this: After having been courted into the BHS for years, and having turned them down several times, he finally agreed. Once he did agree, he was turned on and attacked. This was something he did not anticipate. I have seen some of the letters exchanged. I understand his reaction. It seems the BHS was deceptive in their treatment of him.

      I'm not going to get into what direction the BHS should go. Since I chose not to renew my membership years ago, I don't really have a right to an opinion. I'm also not going to suggest what the rank and file should do. That is a matter for each person to address on their own. But I will say that, since official correspondence from the BHS to Mr. Neal was so deceptive and later correspondence was so hostile and scalding, it seems that as a human being I'd be remiss if I did not suggest that he deserves an apology from the BHS for its treatment of him. There's a certain PhD in particular who was especially hostile. I won't mention him by name, but his first and last initials are the same as mine.

      That said, I've seen the level of hostility that comes out of this group at times. I've been an active participant and target at times, so I'm not suggesting I'm better than anyone else in this respect. But I do think that if this is a hobby that all of us love so much, we should be making more of an effort to find common ground and much less on attacking each others ideas. Any fool can attack even the best of ideas. If an idea is good, let it stand on its own merits.

      Sincerely,
      John Hosie (301) 509 1089