Re: Barbershop or not Barbershop

  • Tim Buell
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2007
      Time for my 2 cents.

      I look at this from a slightly different viewpoint. What was OC
      Cash and Rupert Hall really trying to preserve. Was it really the
      form of music. I am sure that was part of it. But what I really
      think was the goal was to recapture the feeling of a group of
      friends standing in a group and making music together. It was the
      cameraderie that comes from spending time with folks that you enjoy
      and admire.

      Did OC Cash build his "Society" around a specific form of music?
      Yes, but where did that music come from. The groups OC Cash would
      have listened to when he was younger used guitars, and other
      instruments to accompany the singers. Where did those things go?
      Remember, he called it the Society for the Preservation and
      Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America. I submit
      that he was trying to preserve the Singing first and the style
      second.

      Where did the style come from? Four guys walked into a barbershop
      and there it was and they started singing it, right? No. They
      starteed singing, and as they EXPERIMENTED with new things, they
      heard sounds that were extremely pleasing, and they continued to
      sing those. The quartet came first, the music later.

      I wholeheartedly agree that we do not want to forget about the old
      songs. I love the way the chords ring. I love they way the words
      sound and the sentiments expressed. But I don't think saving the
      old songs precludes us from finding some new songs to sing as well.
      If OC Cash had wanted to do that, he would have published a list of
      songs and said, "Ok, boys. This is our repertoire. This is all you
      will be allowed to sing." That would have gotten pretty boring,
      pretty fast.

      Keep in mind, too, that if we narrow our focus too far, pretty soon
      there will be nobody left to preserve that which we love. Then what
      have we really preserved?

      Tim Buell
      Heart of Maryland Chorus
      Free State 4
    • Bob Patterson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2007
        Tim,

        I'm not disagreeing with you, just nit-picking.

        I think the original name was something like Society for Preservation and
        Promulgation............. or some such verbage.

        Bob Patterson,
        Bari, Tortilla Flats

        > I look at this from a slightly different viewpoint. What was OC
        > Cash and Rupert Hall really trying to preserve. Was it really the
        > form of music. I am sure that was part of it. But what I really
        > think was the goal was to recapture the feeling of a group of
        > friends standing in a group and making music together. It was the
        > cameraderie that comes from spending time with folks that you enjoy
        > and admire.
        >
        > Did OC Cash build his "Society" around a specific form of music?
        > Yes, but where did that music come from. The groups OC Cash would
        > have listened to when he was younger used guitars, and other
        > instruments to accompany the singers. Where did those things go?
        > Remember, he called it the Society for the Preservation and
        > Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America. I submit
        > that he was trying to preserve the Singing first and the style
        > second.
        >
        > Where did the style come from? Four guys walked into a barbershop
        > and there it was and they started singing it, right? No. They
        > starteed singing, and as they EXPERIMENTED with new things, they
        > heard sounds that were extremely pleasing, and they continued to
        > sing those. The quartet came first, the music later.
        >
        > I wholeheartedly agree that we do not want to forget about the old
        > songs. I love the way the chords ring. I love they way the words
        > sound and the sentiments expressed. But I don't think saving the
        > old songs precludes us from finding some new songs to sing as well.
        > If OC Cash had wanted to do that, he would have published a list of
        > songs and said, "Ok, boys. This is our repertoire. This is all you
        > will be allowed to sing." That would have gotten pretty boring,
        > pretty fast.
        >
        > Keep in mind, too, that if we narrow our focus too far, pretty soon
        > there will be nobody left to preserve that which we love. Then what
        > have we really preserved?
        >
        > Tim Buell
        > Heart of Maryland Chorus
        > Free State 4