Re: Question of Suitability of Arrangement

  • i_sing_barbershop_music
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
      Yes, it is true that the Benedictine monks of Santo Domingo de Silos
      did have a triple platinum album in the early to mid ninteies,
      followed by a less succsessful sequel. But in the world of gregorian
      chants or a cappella music in general, it is quite the anomaly.
      Also, the chants were evolutionary compared to chants in the "old
      days", but that is neither here nor there.

      Really, if you want to get more people interested in barbershop and
      keep our hobby alive, the approach is simple. Sing songs that people
      want to hear and sing them well. We have a hobby that is AWESOME and
      should be much more marketable then it is, and the "four guys in
      striped shirts and hats" was good back in the day, but doesn't work
      as well anymore. I like the fact the the society has become much
      more welcoming towards younger members, because for the longest
      time, they weren't. At least that is my perception.

      This is ALL just a matter of perception. Everything changes over
      time, and some are just more resistent to change than others.

      Adam Haggart

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Bell" <mike@...> wrote:

      > Wrong.
      >
      > Barbershop music is a style of music . In much the same way as
      renaissance madrigals are
      > a style of music. In the last decade groups specializing Gregorian
      Chant (another a-
      > cappella style) have sold millions of CD's. Did these sales result
      from evolution of the
      > chant style? Did the world outgrow Chant or Medieval polyphony or
      Baroque Cantatas? No,
      > a sizable audience still exists for these styles. This audience is
      not as big as the one for
      > rap, but it is an audience numbering in the millions.
      >
      > The world will forget barbershop when we forget barbershop and
      obscure it's beauty with
      > "evolutionary" changes. Styles fall in and out of favor. Don't try
      to present another
      > argument for "evolve or die" based upon your own bias. It doesn't
      hold up to examination
      > in the light of logical, informed opinion. If you've got data
      showing that we can preserve
      > the barbershop style by including simplistic pop tunes by the
      Beach Boys or any others,
      > let's see it.
      >
      > Mike Bell
      >
      > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "i_sing_barbershop_music"
      <adamhaggart@> wrote:

      > > Barbershop music is a great american artform. But like any
      artform,
      > > it evolves or it dies. Orchestral music progressed from
      renassiance
      > > to romantic to 20th century and beyond. Rap has "evolved" from
      the
      > > likes of Run DMC, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince to 50 Cent,
      > > Eminem, and Kanye West. (I realize this is not the kind of crowd
      > > am addressing, but I am just trying to make a point.) You take
      any
      > > almost any musical artform and see that it has evolved over the
      > > years to what it is today.
      > >
      > > However, with change, then comes resistance. Controversy. Open
      > > retaliation. The audience detested Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"
      on
      > > opening night, but later became one of the world's most
      performed
      > > ballets. Many thought that Biz Markie was just making strange
      silly
      > > noises, but now is known as the grandfather of beatboxing and
      has a
      > > huge following. (especially across the pond) OC Times sang Beach
      Boy
      > > tunes (incredibly well) and it turned the barbershop world
      against
      > > each other. Is Surfer Girl barbershop? Does "Took the T-Bird
      Away"
      > > have enough 7th chords? These songs aren't old enough...etc.
      > >
      > > I realize that our Society is actively engaged in the
      preservation
      > > of our artform. But in order to survive, we must be actively
      > > involved in the evolution of this wonderful "hobby". (I say
      hobby
      > > with restraint as it is really an obsession for me and many
      others)
      > > I love singing "Keep the Whole world Singing" at the end of
      every
      > > chorus rehearsal. It really gets me hungry for tag singing and
      gives
      > > me a great feeling that lasts the drive home. It is great to
      throw
      > > down on a "My Wild Irish Rose" for singing valentines and just
      > > have fun. But I also really enjoy singing (attempting)Timmy
      > > Waurick's part on Cruella Deville. Where can we find balance?
      Where
      > > can I (and you) turn for peace?
      > >
      > > I guess what I am really trying to say is the world outgrew the
      > > renassiance period. I don't want the "world" to continue to
      outgrow
      > > barbershop harmony. Most people think of four old guys in
      striped
      > > shirts and hats singing barbershop, and when they see OC Times,
      > > Vocal Spectrum, Realtime, or even the Westminster Chorus (to
      name a
      > > few) they are suprised and enthralled. They are turned on to our
      > > artform and want to be a part of it, even if it is just as a
      > > spectator.
      > >
      > > I understand that many of our older members have turned away
      from
      > > barbershop because of the continual distancing from what is
      > > regaurded as "traditional". But you can't tell me that you can
      sit
      > > down and listen to the Westminster Chorus sing "Their Hearts
      were
      > > full of Spring" and not get a little teary. Or that you can't
      enjoy
      > > Vocal Spectrum and Gas House Gang just ripping the head off of
      > > Scarbourough Fair. Regardless of what age you are. I hope to not
      > > offend too many by saying, "So what?" So what if there aren't 75
      7th
      > > chords and the song the arrangement was based on was created in
      the
      > > 80's, 90's, or heaven forbid, this decade? As long as it is sung
      > > well, barbershop is great...no matter how old the song (or
      > > performer) is.
      > >
      > > As a young person in barbershop, I promise that I will never
      stop
      > > singing "the old songs." Never. There is too much juicy goodness
      in
      > > them to do so. I would like to expand on that and try other
      things
      > > too. I would like to be able to talk over my chrousmates in a
      > > competition and not be penalized for it. (If we had dialogue) If
      > > felt compelled to do a broadway musical for my quartet's or
      > > choruses's set for competition, then by golly, why not? The
      Sweet
      > > Adelines have huge numbers in many of their choruses. From what
      > > see at their conventions, they are not bound by many of the
      rules
      > > that the BHS is. They seem to really have fun with it and take
      > > presentation to another level. Maybe we could actually learn
      > > something from our sisters in harmony and do the same.
      > >
      > > In closing, my brothers (and sisters), I love you. I love the
      > > society in which we are a part of. It is so great to sing with
      > > others at a high level to express ourselves. I am so honored to
      be a
      > > part of this great orginazation. It is a large part of
      > > what "defines" me. This message was not meant to offend, but
      rather
      > > just to offer a different view. I hope it will be recieved as
      such.

      > > Keep the whole world singing!
      > >
      > > Adam Haggart
      > > Saltaires Show Chorus Lead
      > > Wasatch Front Y.I.H Chairman
      > > Salt Lake City, UT

    • Michael Bell
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
        John,

        I was not advocating an approach to membership or retention. I was questioning a
        hypothesis ("evolve or die") that many seem to view as axiomatic. That hypothesis doesn't
        make sense to me. If we were a vocal jazz organization with shrinking membership would
        we assume that by including gangsta rap, or madrigals, or barbershop we could reverse
        the trend?

        I'm not drawing lines in the sand. I'm not excluding anyone. I'm asking that we take a
        more thoughtful look at what we are preserving, and how best to accomplish our shared
        goal.

        Mike Bell

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "ausleadjohn" <newelljs@...> wrote:

        > Well, this approach and attitude is sure to have new members showing
        > up in droves! Who could resist?
        >
        > Cue what I said in my last post about no need to draw lines in the
        > sand... try inclusion and sharing, instead of exclusion and division.
        >
        > I have an inkling about which way may be more successful for the
        > future.
        >
        > John.
        >

        > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Bell" <mike@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Wrong.
        > >
        > > Barbershop music is a style of music . In much the same way as
        > renaissance madrigals are
        > > a style of music. In the last decade groups specializing Gregorian
        > Chant (another a-
        > > cappella style) have sold millions of CD's. Did these sales result
        > from evolution of the
        > > chant style? Did the world outgrow Chant or Medieval polyphony or
        > Baroque Cantatas? No,
        > > a sizable audience still exists for these styles. This audience is
        > not as big as the one for
        > > rap, but it is an audience numbering in the millions.
        > >
        > > The world will forget barbershop when we forget barbershop and
        > obscure it's beauty with
        > > "evolutionary" changes. Styles fall in and out of favor. Don't try
        > to present another
        > > argument for "evolve or die" based upon your own bias. It doesn't
        > hold up to examination
        > > in the light of logical, informed opinion. If you've got data
        > showing that we can preserve
        > > the barbershop style by including simplistic pop tunes by the Beach
        > Boys or any others,
        > > let's see it.
        > >
        > > Mike Bell

      • super mario
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
          Mike,
          If you have data showing that we CAN'T preserve the barbershop style by including "simplistic" pop tunes by the Beach Boys or any others, let's see it. Logical fallacies work both ways, not just where you want them to.

          Also, does anyone know of anyone advocating the elimination of the old songs? Didn't think so.

          Mario Hernandez-Gerety
          Bass - Vertigo
          2007 RMD 3rd Place Quartet
          2007 RMD Novice Quartet Champions

          PS As a member of the Westminster Chapter, I have personally seen OC Times ring the snot out of more old songs than you can shake a stick at. These guys can ring anything and ring it anywhere. They love the old songs and respect the roots of our style more than most people in this society. Just because they sing some new stuff and push the envelope doesn't mean they don't appreciate where it all came from.

          To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
            Since Mario is bringing specific groups into this discussion about
            style, I've answered his email privately.

            MB

            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, super mario <supermario91@...> wrote:

            > Mike,
            > If you have data showing that we CAN'T preserve the barbershop style by including
            "simplistic" pop tunes by the Beach Boys or any others, let's see it. Logical fallacies work
            both ways, not just where you want them to.

            > Also, does anyone know of anyone advocating the elimination of the old songs? Didn't
            think so.

            > Mario Hernandez-Gerety
            > Bass - Vertigo
            > 2007 RMD 3rd Place Quartet
            > 2007 RMD Novice Quartet Champions
            >
            > PS As a member of the Westminster Chapter, I have personally seen OC Times ring the
            snot out of more old songs than you can shake a stick at. These guys can ring anything
            and ring it anywhere. They love the old songs and respect the roots of our style more
            than most people in this society. Just because they sing some new stuff and push the
            envelope doesn't mean they don't appreciate where it all came from.

            > To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
            > From: mike@...
            > Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:23:49 +0000
            > Subject: [bbshop] Re: Question of Suitability of Arrangement
          • Shelley Herman
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
              > PS As a member of the Westminster Chapter, I have personally seen OC Times
              > ring the snot out of more old songs than you can shake a stick at. These guys
              > can ring anything and ring it anywhere. They love the old songs and respect
              > the roots of our style more than most people in this society. Just because
              > they sing some new stuff and push the envelope doesn't mean they don't
              > appreciate where it all came from.

              You're right about OC Times. They sing everything well. What a lot of
              people have a problem with is: Singing unbarbershop (i.e. Beach boys) in
              CONTEST.

              Sing what you want on shows, sing barbershop in CONTEST!

              Shelley Herman
            • MARQUIS652@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
                Adam,

                Thanks for your contributions to this list.

                I too, started singing barbershop when I was young. (14 years old)...
                I was on the stage crrew at my high school, heard the local chapter
                and was hooked by THE SOUND. I only knew a couple of the songs.
                THE SOUND is what got me excited.

                I get excited by O.C.Times, Max Q, GHG, Interstate Rivals and many, many
                others.
                Not so much for what they sing, but for how they sing. THE SOUND.

                Now that I am older and have my own kids who are singing barbershop,
                I decided to ask them what they like most about barbershop. You know
                what, it turns out to be THE SOUND, the fellowship and the chance to perform
                and entertain and to make people happy with our music.

                Keep singing harmony, I hope in the Barbershop style.

                Jay Hawkins
                Bass - Four Aces

                and a few other groups and a PROUD Member
                of The Southern Gateway Chorus of Cincinnati.

              • willhamblet
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Well, here's something a bit different: an old f*** who isn't a
                  Kibber. I've belonged to the Society for over 35 years. I initially
                  joined because I heard The Beach Boys singing (a cappella) "Their
                  Hearts Were Full of Spring." I didn't know they had ripped it off
                  the Dick Reynolds arrangement for the Four Freshman. I just
                  thought, "Boy, would I love to do something like that." At the time,
                  the only thing that was "something like that" was SPEBSQSA. The
                  first Barbershop album I ever purchased was The Sidewinders… and my
                  favorite cut was Buzz Haeger's arrangement of "The Way You Look
                  Tonight" (definitely not something that would have passed the
                  Arrangement category in those days). I know there were a lot of my
                  contemporaries (early 70's) who enjoyed The Hi-Lo's much more than
                  The Buffalo Bills and my current all-time favorite BHS quartets
                  would probably be Keepsake, Gas House Gang & Realtime (none of them
                  particularly "oldies but goodies").

                  At any rate, I definitely prefer Barbershop (musically) NOW as
                  opposed to when I joined. On the other hand, I didn't care much for
                  what Aaron Dale did to The Beach Boys songs… but then I consider
                  Brian Wilson sacrosanct. And that's my problem!!!

                  Will