Food for thought

  • Burt Szabo
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2007
      Hello all.

      The recent buzz as a result of chorus contest scoring
      in JAD should provide a well-needed lesson and wake-up
      call for all but the most diehard modernists and
      evolutionists, those who have hoodwinked so many into
      believing that our art must evolve and embrace show
      business tendencies never considered by our founders or
      by our membership during the society's heyday.

      Just maybe - - it's time for quartets and choruses to
      return to contest presentations in which their singing
      of two songs is the primary element for adjudication,
      as it has been for most of the past 75 years or so. As
      a singing society, we don't do ballet, or Broadway
      musical show bits, or comedy skits (complete with
      dialog) in competition. We are a barbershop SINGING
      society, and it would do well for those too much
      influenced by trashy music of the past several decades,
      by insulting TV fare, American Idol, etc., to
      consisder and appreciate and honor what our founders
      envisioned - - and which has served us well since
      1939.

      We should allow and encourage our contestants to sing
      two songs during their time on stage, to appear in
      stage-worthy attire, and to express the music to the
      utmost of their vocal talents.

      I have numerous long-time friends in the Gateway
      Chorus, and if that chorus decided to compete with the
      material they used, with twirling mops and the rest,
      they probably earned all the points they should have
      earned. LET IT REST! And let's get back to real
      barbershop.

      Oh, yes. Thanks to Jack Martin for his excellent
      comments on this matter.

      Burt Szabo
      burtszabo@...
      407-381-5203

      525 Conway Rd. #221
      Azalea Park, FL 32807
    • super mario
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2007
        PLEASE DO NOT READ WITH A TONE OF SARCASM! I don't mean to be, although it may come across like that.

        Could you enlighten me Burt (and I am sure you definitely can!), as to what songs of the past few decades have been sung? I don't recall any songs from this decade, the 90s, the 80s, or the 70s on any contest stage I have been to. I remember some from the 50s sung by groups like OC Times, but not much other than that. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there choreography and all of that in "The Music Man", which we all seem to hail as the public unveiling of barbershop? Can the true emotion of the song be conveyed through standing there and singing and not moving a muscle?

        Also, where did OC Cash and the other founders say that we can't add new songs? Where did they say that barbershop music should stay just as they experienced it? What exactly did the founders "envision" when they set forth to create this society of our's? It seems to me that if a song fits within the rules of what they said, then who is anyone to say it isn't what they intended? Can we say with 100% certainty that OC Cash never thought of an evolving society and never once listened to a melody on a radio and said "Hey, that might sound good in barbershop!"? I would love for someone to show me something concrete rather than "I talked to him in passing at such-and-such event and he said such-and-such which means that I am right and you are wrong." Not trying to argue, just want to know where this certainty comes from.

        Mario Hernandez-Gerety
        Bass - Vertigo
        2007 RMD 3rd Place Quartet
        2007 RMD Novice Quartet Champions

        To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2007
          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Burt Szabo" <burtszabo@...> wrote:
          > I have numerous long-time friends in the Gateway
          > Chorus, and if that chorus decided to compete with the
          > material they used, with twirling mops and the rest,
          > they probably earned all the points they should have
          > earned. LET IT REST! And let's get back to real
          > barbershop.

          Looking at the scoresheet, they earned pretty good scores when it
          related to the "twirling of the mops," so I'm not sure what their
          overall presentation has to do with a cry for returning to standing
          straight up and down and singing songs from a limited, randomly
          approved era.

          They took a chance with many good ideas. Although there was
          confusion about one song or two, in the end they were scored on two
          (otherwise there would have been a zero for the second song from
          each judge) so that became a moot point immediately.

          They have been explained the categorical and rule violations that
          otherwise took place and caused the problems, most of which are
          fixable or can be canned while keeping the overall feel.

          I, for one, hope they can take that input and carry on! It was
          entertaining, just not quite within the rules.

          Alan
          gotchabari@...
        • Steve Skolnick
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
            I read somewhere that "The Old Songs" when introduced were about 40 years
            old... by that measure, today's "Old Songs" would be the ones from 1977 -
            not really sure we want to do THAT (disco ball and all).

            As part of the Atlantic Brigade we did a Billy Joel song ....VERY BARBERSHOP
            and a great song... I guess it's all in the arrangement. Age should NOT be
            the determining factor - I'm sure there are very many "Old Songs" that would
            not translate very well into the barbershop style.

            Steve Skolnick
            relative newbie
          • John Erickson
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
              Steve,

              You got it exactly right. It ain't the age of the song, it's the musical content. "That Old Quartet of Mine" is a relatively new song, but it is barbershop.

              John Erickson
              40+ year member of SPEBSQSA