Question of suitability of arrangement for contest

  • Steve Jacobsen
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 28, 2007
      I'm just a little confused about what is currently
      suitable for contest, and I would appreciate it if a
      judge or two in the music category could email me
      privately for a question concerning the suitability of
      an arrangement for contest that my quartet is looking
      at. Thanks.
      Steve Jacobsen
      Tallahassee, FL

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jack W. Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2007
        It's doubtful any music judge will extend themselves and try to answer
        this Steve. Look what happened to the SGC Half dozen judges thought
        their presentation would be OK. but the judging panel didn't see it
        that way.

        This is why it's best to stay with tried and true barbershop songs in
        contest. Try preservation, you might enjoy it! Sing your
        questionable music in shows, and have a good time doing so.
        In Harmony
        Jack Martin

        On 10/28/07, Steve Jacobsen <steve102751@...> wrote:
        > I'm just a little confused about what is currently
        > suitable for contest, and I would appreciate it if a
        > judge or two in the music category could email me
        > privately for a question concerning the suitability of
        > an arrangement for contest that my quartet is looking
        > at. Thanks.
        > Steve Jacobsen
        > Tallahassee, FL

      • Tim Buell
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2007
          That's a pretty disingenuous answer, Jack.

          Steve,
          The society posts the names of all of the judges that will (or this
          year, were) in the pits for the various District contests. It is
          under www.barbershop.org and look at the Compete pulldown under
          Contest and Judging System.

          Barbershoppers are pretty congenial fellows, and from looking into
          that pit, I have never seen a judge with two heads or three eyes, so
          they don't seem to be monsters. From comments here, I am sure that
          if you took one of those names and looked them up under Members
          Only, you would be able to e-mail them and get their opinion on just
          about everything. I don't know how ethical it is to ask someone in
          the pit for your own contest, but, since these are the arbiters of
          the rules, who better to ask. Obviously, in spite of trying to make
          this as objective as possible, there will still be differences of
          opinion, but a lot of times the differences are not in the
          arrangement, but in the way you perform the arrangement, which is
          why the same song can get different music scores based on who is
          singing.

          Give it a shot. It will probably be quicker to try to look up the
          info rather than waiting for someone to respond here.

          Tim Buell
          Heart of Maryland Chorus
          Free State 4

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Jack W. Martin" <jackwmartin@...>
          wrote:

          > It's doubtful any music judge will extend themselves and try to
          answer
          > this Steve. Look what happened to the SGC Half dozen judges
          thought
          > their presentation would be OK. but the judging panel didn't see it
          > that way.
          >
          > This is why it's best to stay with tried and true barbershop songs
          in
          > contest. Try preservation, you might enjoy it! Sing your
          > questionable music in shows, and have a good time doing so.
          > In Harmony
          > Jack Martin
          >

          > On 10/28/07, Steve Jacobsen <steve102751@...> wrote:
          > > I'm just a little confused about what is currently
          > > suitable for contest, and I would appreciate it if a
          > > judge or two in the music category could email me
          > > privately for a question concerning the suitability of
          > > an arrangement for contest that my quartet is looking
          > > at. Thanks.
          > > Steve Jacobsen
          > > Tallahassee, FL

        • Rich Hasty
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
            Jack...

            I'm not sure that you want or desire to hear this, but I already
            responded to Steve with an offer to assist prior to your post.

            Rich Hasty
            Music Judge

            wrote:

            > It's doubtful any music judge will extend themselves and try to
            answer
            > this Steve. Look what happened to the SGC Half dozen judges thought
            > their presentation would be OK. but the judging panel didn't see it
            > that way.
            >
            > This is why it's best to stay with tried and true barbershop songs
            in
            > contest. Try preservation, you might enjoy it! Sing your
            > questionable music in shows, and have a good time doing so.
            > In Harmony
            > Jack Martin
            >

            > On 10/28/07, Steve Jacobsen <steve102751@...> wrote:
            > > I'm just a little confused about what is currently
            > > suitable for contest, and I would appreciate it if a
            > > judge or two in the music category could email me
            > > privately for a question concerning the suitability of
            > > an arrangement for contest that my quartet is looking
            > > at. Thanks.
            > > Steve Jacobsen
            > > Tallahassee, FL

          • Marty Israel
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
              Hi Jack!

              So did I. When I respond to these requests, I respond privately.

              Canto ergo sum

              Marty Israel
              Music Judge

              To: bbshop@yahoogroups.comFrom: rich_hasty@...: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:18:46 +0000Subject: [bbshop] Re: Question of suitability of arrangement for contest

              Jack...I'm not sure that you want or desire to hear this, but I already responded to Steve with an offer to assist prior to your post.Rich HastyMusic Judge--- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Jack W. Martin" <jackwmartin@...> wrote:>> It's doubtful any music judge will extend themselves and try to answer> this Steve. Look what happened to the SGC Half dozen judges thought> their presentation would be OK. but the judging panel didn't see it> that way.> > This is why it's best to stay with tried and true barbershop songs in> contest. Try preservation, you might enjoy it! Sing your> questionable music in shows, and have a good time doing so.> In Harmony> Jack Martin> > > On 10/28/07, Steve Jacobsen <steve102751@...> wrote:> > I'm just a little confused about what is currently> > suitable for contest, and I would appreciate it if a> > judge or two in the music category could email me> > privately for a question concerning the suitability of> > an arrangement for contest that my quartet is looking> > at. Thanks.> > Steve Jacobsen> > Tallahassee, FL> >> > __________________________________________________> > Do You Yahoo!?> > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around> > http://mail.yahoo.com> >> >> >> > Yahoo! Groups Links> >> >> >> >>

            • Tim Buell
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
                You mean I was right? You guys aren't monsters? Imagine my
                surprise!! <GRIN>

                Tim Buell

                Thanks, Rich and Marty, for confirming my faith in my brother
                barbershoppers.

                --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Marty Israel <firmbari@...> wrote:

                > Hi Jack!
                >
                > So did I. When I respond to these requests, I respond privately.
                >
                > Canto ergo sum
                >
                > Marty Israel
                > Music Judge

              • Jack W. Martin
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
                  To Rich, Marty and Jim, and to who ever may have responded!

                  Great! Again I go down in flames! Can't win them all!

                  I stick to my guns on performing good, tried and true Barbershop in
                  contests. That makes you a winner before the pitch pipe is blown.
                  In Harmony
                  Jack Martin

                  On 10/31/07, Tim Buell <tpbuell@...> wrote:
                  > You mean I was right? You guys aren't monsters? Imagine my
                  > surprise!! <GRIN>
                  >
                  > Tim Buell
                  >
                  > Thanks, Rich and Marty, for confirming my faith in my brother
                  > barbershoppers.
                  >
                  > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Marty Israel <firmbari@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hi Jack!
                  > >
                  > > So did I. When I respond to these requests, I respond privately.
                  > >
                  > > Canto ergo sum
                  > >
                  > > Marty Israel
                  > > Music Judge

                • Chris Arnold
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
                    --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Jack W. Martin" <jackwmartin@...> wrote:

                    > I stick to my guns on performing good, tried and true Barbershop in
                    > contests. That makes you a winner before the pitch pipe is blown.

                    True, but the faulty logic that I've seen in this thread is assuming that everyone knows what good, tried and true Barbershop is, not only from just looking at the notes but from even hearing it. Many of us, through much experience, know which songs will be alright in contest, and many more of us don't. I know when I started this hobby I had no idea why My Wild Irish Rose was acceptable contest barbershop and Shenandoah wasn't. They were both published by the Society, both having the same 4 parts, both sounding like the same style to me. So why shouldn't they both be acceptable on the contest stage?

                    There's a reason why all new music published by the Society has the proviso "Ask before you sing". I, for one, am glad that people ask, and I often wish more groups did. Even if they think it is tried and true barbershop...

                    Chris Arnold
                    Music Judge

                  • Rich Hasty
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
                      On "performing good, tried and true barbershop," at some point were
                      not even these great songs new and inovative?

                      Just curious...

                      Rich