Re: A little help please

  • Rich Hasty
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
      Triplets have never been considered non-stylistic in the MUSIC
      category. Maybe in the Arrangement category that ended fifteen years
      ago. Triplets are fine today.

      Rich -- Music Judge

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Ehink557@... wrote:

      > At one time in our ever changing catagory of music in comp. it was
      > considered non-stylistic to sing music with a lot of triplets and
      penalties were
      > imposed.
      >
      > Is this still in force?
      >
      > Ed Hinkley

    • Tom Emmert
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
        If written as 4/4, and a "swing eights" rule applied, it will sound the
        same - won't it?

        Tom

        Helen sez:
        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, GSBMedalMusic@... wrote:

        > Then there are the triplets that come in a 12/8 meter, such as
        MacNamara's Band and, yes, the 1979 Championship set performed by
        Grandma's Boys. "When the Toy Soldiers March on Parade" is written in
        12/8 as well (with the rhythmic emphasis on the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th
        of the 12/8 measure creates a 4/4 feel, but the underlying subdivided
        rhythm is 4 triplets per measure.).

      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
          1) Triplets have never been considered non-stylistic
          2) Triplets are fine today.

          That is most happy news!

          James Triplett

          bbshop@yahoogroups.com wrote on 09/03/2007 07:32:04 PM:

          > Triplets have never been considered non-stylistic in the MUSIC
          > category. Maybe in the Arrangement category that ended fifteen years
          > ago. Triplets are fine today.
          >
          > Rich -- Music Judge
          >
          > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Ehink557@... wrote:
          > >
          > > At one time in our ever changing catagory of music in comp. it was
          > > considered non-stylistic to sing music with a lot of triplets and
          > penalties were
          > > imposed.
          > >
          > > Is this still in force?
          > >
          > > Ed Hinkley

        • Giallombardo
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
            At 09:02 AM 9/4/2007, Tom Emmert asks:

            >If written as 4/4, and a "swing eights" rule applied, it will sound the
            >same - won't it?
            >
            >Tom

            As someone raised in a "jazz household" (with a lot of swing-beat
            music playing in our living room) plus years of concert band training
            where I played a lot of Ralph Vaughn Williams (Folk Song Suites -
            think Irish/English folk tunes written in 12/8, etc.), I think of
            these rhythms with a totally different feel.

            Eighth note rhythms (written "straight" for either easy read .... or
            laziness on the part of the writers (think the old pen-and-paper
            days, where it was "extra work" to write out a lot of dotted
            rhythms)) are simply played or performed *differently* than a 12/8
            triplet feel (quarter note-eighth note in a triplet).

            Now you *could* make a good case that maybe the actual *duration* of
            these rhythms is pretty equal and .... you might be right. But
            MacNamara's Band ("now me name is MacNamara; I'm the leader of the
            band") just FEELS a lot different to me than a jazz swing beat song
            in 4/4. I perform them differently. It's subtle but tangible.

            - Helen Giallombardo
          • Keith Richmond
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
              Actually Rich is correct. I recall getting dinged in the old
              arrangement category for there being a triplet in Tom Gentry's
              arrangement of "Nobody's Sweetheart". Only a minus 1 but still a ding.
              And kind of silly, because (in this case) it worked very well within
              that context in the arrangement.

              Keith R

              jetriple@... wrote:

              > 1) Triplets have never been considered non-stylistic
              > 2) Triplets are fine today.
              >
              > That is most happy news!
              >
              > James Triplett
              >
              > bbshop@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bbshop%40yahoogroups.com> wrote on
              > 09/03/2007 07:32:04 PM:
              >
              > > Triplets have never been considered non-stylistic in the MUSIC
              > > category. Maybe in the Arrangement category that ended fifteen years
              > > ago. Triplets are fine today.
              > >
              > > Rich -- Music Judge
              > >
              > > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > Ehink557@... wrote:
              > > >
              > > > At one time in our ever changing catagory of music in comp. it was
              > > > considered non-stylistic to sing music with a lot of triplets and
              > > penalties were
              > > > imposed.
              > > >
              > > > Is this still in force?
              > > >
              > > > Ed Hinkley

            • Giallombardo
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007

                >Now you *could* make a good case that maybe the actual *duration* of
                >these rhythms is pretty equal and .... you might be right.

                Actually being the music theory/notation geek that I am ;-),
                these rhythms are NOT equal in that a dotted eighth with sixteenth
                rhythm (which is KINDA what the swing "double-eighth" note rhythm
                becomes in a swing beat "feel) is a 3/4 to 1/4 ratio (in a one beat
                duration) with a different beat (dare I say... accent) emphasis while
                a quarter-note/eighth note written as a triplet in a 12/8 meter is a
                2/3 to 1/3 ratio (in a one beat duration) with a mostly downbeat emphasis.

                How's that for using math to explain this? ;-)
                (Yeah, I know ..... I'm just asking for trouble from the math geeks
                out there in HarmonetLand!).

                Enough from me on this topic for tonight ..........

                "Bed!" (quote from hotel guest in "The Pest in the House")...

                - Helen G.
              • Ben McDaniel
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                  "...a dotted eighth with sixteenth rhythm (which is KINDA what the swing
                  "double-eighth" note rhythm becomes in a swing beat "feel) is a 3/4 to 1/4
                  ratio..."

                  Swing is usually much closer to a 2/3 and 1/3 ratio. At fast tempi (or
                  tempos), it gets closer to 1/2 and 1/2 (light swing), and at slower tempos,
                  it gets closer to 3/4 and 1/4 (heavy swing).

                  Groups that have trouble with swing should probably think of it as 2/3 and
                  1/3 at most tempos. At slow tempos, the stress is on the second eighth note.
                  At medium tempos, the stress is on the second and fourth quarters (in 4/4
                  swing). At fast tempos, the stress is on the third quarter (in 4/4 swing).
                  In barbershop, considering our current obsession with long lines and smooth
                  sound, having the stress on the third quarter even at slower tempos can help
                  to construct those long phrases.

                  These are all just general rules and exceptions can always be found. For
                  example, listen to how Paul Desmond likes to perform swing. He often uses a
                  light swing even at medium tempos (for example, in the song "Take Five").

                  I'm no expert, so if any of you are, feel free to correct me where I'm
                  wrong.

                  Ben McDaniel
                  Newton, Kansas

                • Joe De Felice
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                    Ditto for "Ride The Railroad" in which the same triplet occurred
                    several time and got "dinged" each time. ;-(
                    Joe

                    At 9/4/2007 11:05 PM, Keith Richmond wrote:
                    >Actually Rich is correct. I recall getting dinged in the old
                    >arrangement category for there being a triplet in Tom Gentry's
                    >arrangement of "Nobody's Sweetheart". Only a minus 1 but still a ding.
                    >And kind of silly, because (in this case) it worked very well within
                    >that context in the arrangement.
                    >
                    >Keith R
                    >
                    >jetriple@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > 1) Triplets have never been considered non-stylistic
                    > > 2) Triplets are fine today.
                    > >
                    > > That is most happy news!
                    > >
                    > > James Triplett
                    > >
                    > > bbshop@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bbshop%40yahoogroups.com> wrote on
                    > > 09/03/2007 07:32:04 PM:
                    > >
                    > > > Triplets have never been considered non-stylistic in the MUSIC
                    > > > category. Maybe in the Arrangement category that ended fifteen years
                    > > > ago. Triplets are fine today.
                    > > >
                    > > > Rich -- Music Judge
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bbshop%40yahoogroups.com>,

                    > > > penalties were

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • mteacher75
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Giallombardo <GSBMedalMusic@...> wrote:

                      > Actually being the music theory/notation geek that I am ;-),
                      > these rhythms are NOT equal in that a dotted eighth with sixteenth
                      > rhythm (which is KINDA what the swing "double-eighth" note rhythm
                      > becomes in a swing beat "feel)

                      I hate to disagree with one of my favorite 'net posters, but swinging
                      eighths are in fact a 12/8 construct. (This is why triplet fills
                      work so nicely in swing.) It used to be common practice among music
                      publishers (who had no real experience with jazz and who, in all
                      likelihood, didn't know any better) to write arrangements of swing
                      tunes for traditional bands, orchestras, and choirs using the dotted
                      eighth-sixteenth pattern to indicate swinging eighths. This is
                      incorrect, and if played as written will sound stilted and almost
                      militaristic in character. Of course, hardly anyone played them as
                      written, which created a second problem: generations of school and
                      amateur musicians who couldn't properly execute genuine dotted eighth-
                      sixteenth rhythms as found in baroque music, etc. Most modern
                      publishers (thankfully!) now properly indicate swinging eighths with
                      a note at the top of the score indicating that two eighth notes =
                      quarter note + eighth note, all under a triplet bracket.

                      Having said that, swing leaves a lot of leeway for interpretation -
                      some jazz ballads will have a barely perceptible sense of swing, just
                      slightly more laid back than straight eighths. Some later big band
                      recordings (think Nelson Riddle's orchestrations for Sinatra) used a
                      swing feel that almost approached the 3-to-1 ratio of a dotted eighth-
                      sixteenth pattern in the ride cymbal. On the whole, though, the
                      12/8 "triplet" feel of swing is maintained as the basic framework.

                      As to the difference in feel between "McNamara's Band" (in 6/8) and,
                      say, "Come Fly With Me" (a swinging 4/4, or 12/8 feel), much of that
                      can be attributed to the natural rhythmic accents. 6/8 marches
                      emphasize downbeats - (1 and 4 of 1 through 6), whereas swing places
                      slight emphasis on the third beat of each implied triplet group, or
                      the second of each "swung" pair of eighth notes. Poorly interpreted
                      swing can often wind up sounding marchlike in character - how many
                      times have we seen barbershoppers pound the snot (a technical term I
                      heard from a judge once ;) ) out of a swing tune, stripping away any
                      semblance of jazz that might have been implied by the arrangement?

                      Anyway, it does my heart good to hear swing discussed on the ol'
                      Harmonet! As long as we're fitting jazz tunes under that infamous
                      umbrella, we should be swinging 'em with style!

                      - Chris Andrade
                      The Coastal Chordsmen
                      Bridgeport Chapter K-001
                    • Bill Byrd
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                        On 9/5/07, Joe De Felice <showglowjoe@...> wrote:

                        > Ditto for "Ride The Railroad" in which the same triplet occurred
                        > several time and got "dinged" each time. ;-(
                        > Joe
                        >
                        > Funny story about "Ride the Railroad" it was written by my favorite
                        > Barbershop composer, Bob Disney, One year at district, after the Commodore
                        > Chorus had performed this song, a judge asked us if we were sure that the
                        > composer had wanted all those triplets in the song. Bob was sitting there
                        > with our director (Rick Taylor- My Hero). Rick said why don't you ask
                        > him?....

                        Bill Byrd

                      • Ed Hinkley
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
                          Anyone have a source for the MUSIC for "Pretend you don't love her, my heart"?

                          I have the lyrics

                          Ed Hinkley