RE: [bbshop] Re: Is-ry-el ?

  • Charles May
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
      My wife's family speaks fluent Hebrew, and they pronounce it "Yis-rah-ell".

      Chuck May
      Director, Montclair, NJ
      Bass, Big Apple Chorus

      >From: "garsinger" <garsinger@...>
      >To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [bbshop] Re: Is-ry-el ?
      >Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 19:49:47 -0000
      >
      >I've always assumed it was an attempt to do a "Hebrew-ish"
      >pronunciation of the word. I'm not familiar with conversational
      >Hebrew as it's currently spoken in Israel, but in modern "American
      >Prayerbook Hebrew", I most often hear it pronounced either "Yees-rah-
      >ell" or "Yees-roy-ell" (with a slight roll of the "r").
      >
      >Dave
      >
      >--- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Keith Richmond <keithr386@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Actually it is often sung that way. Another example is in "O come
      > > come Emmanuel".
      > >
      > > Keith R
      > >

      > > Joe Johnson wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have always wondered why, in "The First Noel", the
      >word "Israel" is
      > > > traditionally pronounced "Is-ry-el". We don't say it that way any
      > > > other time, so why do we say that way in this particular song?
      > > >
      > > > JOE JOHNSON
      > > > House of Joseph Music
      > > > http://www.bbsmusic.com <http://www.bbsmusic.com>

      Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft� Office Live!
      http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/
    • Joe De Felice
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
        Huh??? Are you the "Mr. T" of TV fame etc??
        If so you forgot to show us your police badge.
        Threads will die when people have no more they want to say.
        Until we have definitive answers or suggestions, or we give up
        on getting same, the thread SHOULD go on.

        Where did you come up with this state of flux on spelling and
        pronunciation anyway??? Does that mean "erl" is OK in place of "oil"?
        "youse" instead of "you" (Y'all for our Southern members), etc.??
        Or do you prefer something like ebonics which is an outgrowth of that
        kind of thinking/

        Sorry but it's end of summer blues for me.

        Joe

      • EGPLEAD98@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
          Hey Joe,
          Look at the bright side ??? only 3 more months till
          christmas !!!!

          SANTA JOE !!!! :)

          ERIC G PHILLIPS
          _EGPLEAD98@..._ (mailto:EGPLEAD98@...)