RE: [bbshop] Re: Is-ry-el ?

  • Joe De Felice
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
      After speaking with an Hebrew scholar friend, he says the Hebrew
      pronunciation is Yis-rah-el. Perhaps the turning of the ?diphthong?
      toward the "el" sound produces the the 'y' sound vs the 'ah' sound??

      Joe

      At 9/2/2007 01:34 PM, Jade Walker wrote:
      >I can dust off my knowledge of Latin. Using the German system of
      >pronouncing Latin, the "ae" in "caeli" would be pronounced as a long
      >"i" (which is interesting, since most sung Latin uses the Italian
      >system and pronounces "ae" as a long "a"). Perhaps whoever was
      >first singing it pronounced it Latin-style.
      >
      >Then again, there's this:
      >http://www.afoolintheforest.com/2003/12/how_do_we_prono.html.
      >Assuming everything we read on the Web is true.
      >
      >Jade Walker
      >jadewalker@...
      >Or else it's a tradition, or an old charter, or something.

    • T
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
        Sorry, but it's about time to end this thread. There have been some
        interesting observations and links, but one thing you have to keep in mind.
        Language, spelling, and pronunciation, is constantly in flux. There is no
        correct way. The word has been in existance for more than 3,000 years.
      • Charles May
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
          My wife's family speaks fluent Hebrew, and they pronounce it "Yis-rah-ell".

          Chuck May
          Director, Montclair, NJ
          Bass, Big Apple Chorus

          >From: "garsinger" <garsinger@...>
          >To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [bbshop] Re: Is-ry-el ?
          >Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 19:49:47 -0000
          >
          >I've always assumed it was an attempt to do a "Hebrew-ish"
          >pronunciation of the word. I'm not familiar with conversational
          >Hebrew as it's currently spoken in Israel, but in modern "American
          >Prayerbook Hebrew", I most often hear it pronounced either "Yees-rah-
          >ell" or "Yees-roy-ell" (with a slight roll of the "r").
          >
          >Dave
          >
          >--- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Keith Richmond <keithr386@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Actually it is often sung that way. Another example is in "O come
          > > come Emmanuel".
          > >
          > > Keith R
          > >

          > > Joe Johnson wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have always wondered why, in "The First Noel", the
          >word "Israel" is
          > > > traditionally pronounced "Is-ry-el". We don't say it that way any
          > > > other time, so why do we say that way in this particular song?
          > > >
          > > > JOE JOHNSON
          > > > House of Joseph Music
          > > > http://www.bbsmusic.com <http://www.bbsmusic.com>

          Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft� Office Live!
          http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/
        • Joe De Felice
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
            Huh??? Are you the "Mr. T" of TV fame etc??
            If so you forgot to show us your police badge.
            Threads will die when people have no more they want to say.
            Until we have definitive answers or suggestions, or we give up
            on getting same, the thread SHOULD go on.

            Where did you come up with this state of flux on spelling and
            pronunciation anyway??? Does that mean "erl" is OK in place of "oil"?
            "youse" instead of "you" (Y'all for our Southern members), etc.??
            Or do you prefer something like ebonics which is an outgrowth of that
            kind of thinking/

            Sorry but it's end of summer blues for me.

            Joe

          • EGPLEAD98@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
              Hey Joe,
              Look at the bright side ??? only 3 more months till
              christmas !!!!

              SANTA JOE !!!! :)

              ERIC G PHILLIPS
              _EGPLEAD98@..._ (mailto:EGPLEAD98@...)